are american teles substantially better than mim/asian?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Spaceboy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

It'll sound a lot better if you get a cord.

2. bigjed

bigjed Tele-Holic

neber a truerer word spokenj

3. Brewski

Brewski TDPRI Member

I now know what this issue is! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

No American Fenders are the best because no company is going to spec out their lower priced products to be better than their higher priced products.

5. bigjed

bigjed Tele-Holic

Parades pisserer. However I much I might agree.

6. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

Now what’s wrong comparing a Custom Shop ’52 to an original Fender ’52? There have been 3 pages of people trying to convince me that there is no real difference between a MIA, MIM, or a Squire besides the price. I’m sorry the knife cuts both ways here.

7. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Most of the things that see a '52 Tele attract a price tag of $75000 having nothing to do with its sound.

Most of the time, it's the same as dealing in wine - to make money on later. No one ever questions the quality on the inside, because it's the label that brings in the high end punters and their $$.

The practical reasons for buying at this level have been superseded.

As too guitars, I'd buy a MIM (2nd hand) because I can't tell the difference between them and American.

8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Now that would be a cool thread.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Nothing, but the violin people weren't comparing $100 starter violins to professional grade instrument. Most of the people hear insist there is not difference between a $300 Squier and a $1000 MIA.

10. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I notice he does insist on playing the CS, it might be possible he doesn't think the cheap guitar will sound as good.

When a great guitarist plays no one cares about the tone.
    When a crappy guitarist plays no one listens.

It's everyone between where the tone matters.

11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Let me be honest: if I could afford the $3000 Masterbuilt, I'd be all over it too. My point is that a guitarist doesn't need an expensive rig to sound good. Clapton sounded like Clapton when vintage Fenders were just pawnshop specials.

Do the Cs's or the Kirns play better? Yes. For the money, they damn well better. Do they sound better? That's up to the person behind the instrument.

But, for the purposes of this thread, I still say that you can get a good, playable MIM that is just as good as an MIA. In MIA, you're paying for better paid workers. And the MIMs are endlessly customizable, unlike the American Standards.

Not knocking the Am Standards, they are great guitars. But I'm tired of the snobbishness that some people feel, that they have an American Fender, and that makes their guitar somehow better. Not knocking anyone on this thread, but everyone has run across someone like that. We should be better than that, as musicians, and as a community.

I think Jakedog put it best: the Am Standard Strat works best FOR HIM. Get what works best FOR YOU. And quit worrying about where the damn guitar comes from, cause at the end of the day, all that matters is what your fingers are doing, and what's coming out of the amp.?

12. ScottieHotrod

ScottieHotrod Tele-Holic

Guys, the people at Fender put a lot of thought and time into making the best guitars they can at different price points for people on different budgets.

These models are not competing with each other!!!

If you can afford an American, get one!

If you just started playing and you are poor, well lucky for you there are squiers that you can buy and love for a while until you get a bigger budget.

This whole never-ending 'x is better than y' argument is totally redundant.

13. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Or more likely because the CS is made to exactly his specs. If he tells Fender he wants a guitar with a neck that is precisely X size at the 6th fret and precisely Y size at the 14th fret, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will build it for him. Now he likely isn't that anal but that doesn't change the fact that they will build his guitars to exact personal specs. Could he pick up a $250 guitar and make it sound good? Of course he could. But he has reached a level at which he doesn't have to and can get exactly what he wants.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Originally Posted by tele12
    No American Fenders are the best because no company is going to spec out their lower priced products to be better than their higher priced products.

This is just plain scary truth! I've never seen anything like it here before, I hope this does not cause a spate of logic to suddenly appear on this forum, it might spread throughout the internet. Wait a minute did you do that on purpose?

15. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

My 2 favorite Teles are my MIM Arctic White Standard and my'06 Highway One (MIA). And I have 2 American Standards . . . .

16. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

Amps have more bearing on tone than guitars. Play a £200 Squier guitar through a Messa or a Dr Z and it will sound good...very good......says a lot too for quality of Squier!!

17. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Are we not spoilt for choice?

It's so hard to buy a total lemon these days that you need to be an enthusiast to find one to buy. The manufacturing baseline,regardless of country,has been raised to such a level we are virtually splitting hairs when comparing Telecasters.

How the neck feels,choice of pickup and preferred set up,couple this recipe with a good amp and you can smugly just get on with playing while others debate the semantics. :cool:

18. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

Yebbut. Is your Partscaster better than your 68 Gibby? :lol:

19. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Even my first attempt pleases me more than the efforts of mister Gibson. I'll never sell the old girl because I bought it new as a callow youth,but these days I much prefer the two partscasters I nailed together. (I haven't gigged with the SG since the early 90s)

'Better' is so subjective,yet we'd be foolish to deny our preferences,however passing or factually incorrect they may prove to be.

Did I sidestep that well enough?

Oh, and it's a 72 not a 68. :lol:

PS..I was offered a swap for a murcan delux strat this week,but nostalgia rules. :rolleyes:

20. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

Masterful. If I was wearing a cap I'd doff it. :D

Good man. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.