Are American Deluxe Ash Tele and '52 AVRI Tele Body Shapes Exactly the Same?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jsegovia, Mar 30, 2020.

1. jsegovia

jsegovia TDPRI Member

I'm still deciding whether to buy an American Deluxe Tele or a 52 AVRI (or AV). I've found an American Deluxe in Butterscotch in excellent condition nearby but it occurs to me that for some reason, these guitars look very different than 52 AVRIs, and I don't mean the hardware differences.

It seems to me that the AVRI bodies are streamlined and shapely - they just look really nice to me, but the Ash American Deluxe in Butterscotch looks a little clunkier or chunkier. They don't seem as streamlined to me. Is that just my eyes playing tricks on me or are modern Teles (or just the American Deluxes) really shaped differently?

Thanks!

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's some minor differences in routing, pocket depth and thin layers of lacquer look better than layers of polyurethane.

I'm the guy who can spot a Warmoth body at a glance (and who cannot understand why others cannot also) but the way I tell these bodies you mention, apart is the difference in the routing and the appearance of the finish - supposing I do not "cheat" and look at the necks and other various parts fitted to them if the bodies are not fully apart.

They're actually quite similar, as such things go.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Agree with @boris bubbanov - the body shapes are slightly different. The American Deluxe Ash Teles (part of the Generation 2 and Generation 3 American Deluxe Series) are pretty much American Standard shape/features/dimensions. The Am Dlx Ash Teles didn't have the tummy cut in them until 2012 - when the American Standard Teles also got the tummy cut.

4. jsegovia

jsegovia TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. Are you saying the body outline is different (which is what I'm saying it looks to me) or just things like the tummy cut?

I'm looking at a 2010 American Deluxe so no tummy cut and that's fine with me - I wouldn't get one with an AVRI either. I love the looks of the original bridge and the vintage tuners, and I love the functionality of the vintage tuners, although I've never used the Fender locking tuners, so maybe those are also very convenient?

I know the vintage bridge isn't as adjustable as the modern bridges but I've never heard any vintage or AVRI Tele owner complain that their Teles are always out of tune.

Jesse

5. boris bubbanov

Jesse, there are mild differences in the body outline, but I see the "modern" shape as prettier than the old original (which I prefer). You and I see the differences, as opposite. This tells us how small the differences really are.

6. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

The original edition v1 of the Am Dlx Ash Telecaster was marketed to be like a modern edition counterpart of the vintage spec reissue instrument. It was a new Bill Shultz era concept at the time, the catalog list price of the two instruments was the same which emphasized this. This was an impressive instrument and imho was somewhat overlooked during the period due to all of the attention given to the 8502 at the time.

Greg Koch bought a v1 Am Dlx Ash Tele and played it as his main stage instrument for several years.

The main difference in look and feel of the bodies to me will be the vintage reissue will be nitro and the Am Dlx Ash will be poly.

The model migrated away from the original concept over time, belly cut, locking tuners, white no tint neck. I think the v1 Am Dlx Ash was the high point.

7. boris bubbanov

Not quite sure why, but it seemed like every Am Deluxe Ash I picked up to play, was heavy to very heavy. Even ones right out of the packing from SoCal. While at the same time the Highway One Texas Teles were light.

I'm not sure there's a single feature about that model, that I preferred over the AV52 of the same year. It was annoying to be presented with that useless "6 hammer" vintage sized bridge assembly in the '52 case candy - that only one in thirty musicians would actually use.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Good point - the 1st Generation American Deluxes were just alder or ash depending upon the color; they all had the top binding and the belly cut. Then with the 2nd Generation and 3rd Generation American Deluxes they were split into the 2 models - and the version with the 2nd Generation American Deluxe was definitely going for that more vintage vibe.

Of course that model was lost with the change to the American Elites in 2016 - it was back to some colors being alder, other colors being ash, and they all had top binding and the belly cut (which is continued with the current American Ultras).

9. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

Sorry for any confusion, I was actually referring to the variations of the Am Dlx Ash model itself, not the Am Dlx in general.

Boris, I don't see myself ever having any use for the 6 hammer either, but there was a guy named James Burton who got quite a bit of use out of it.

10. ktan

ktan TDPRI Member

My current tele is a 2013 American Deluxe Ash which replaced my 2008 AVRI 52 because i could not bond with the vintage frets. The only difference in the shape of the body that i can notice is the belly contour. There is a different pickup routing of course.

It is also almost 1 pound lighter than the AVRI. (3.1 kg my Am Dlx Ash, 3.5 kg my AVRI52).

Having said that, I have a pair of Dimarzio Twang Kings waiting to be installed, hoping to get somewhat closer to that heavenly sounding 52 AVRI that i once had... :(

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I saw what you were getting at - we're both very familiar with the models and that's one way of phrasing it. I was posting more as information/historical context for the OP since he's less familiar with the models and Fender in general.

What Fender did there in 2003/2004 was really confusing - adding the 8502 American Ash Tele (while still having ash-bodied models of the "regular" American Series at the same time) in 2003, then splitting the American Deluxes into 2 models ("regular" and "Ash") in 2004. It's significant on the Tele side due to the difference in features; it was more of "why did they want 2 SKUs??" on the Strat side as body wood and color are the only differences between an American Deluxe Strat and an American Deluxe Ash Strat for those years (2004-2015).

12. boris bubbanov

Two things:

One, James Burton assuredly had a guitar tech at the ready, to fix his 6 hammer saddle Tele every time it went awry - which may have been at every show; and

Two, the Guitar Gods who walk among us, seem to be able to make amazing sounds with shovels, brooms and the bones of oxen. Higher levels of guitar precision are actually meant for folks like me who need all the help we can get.

Let's don't forget that the Upgrade James Burton model has existed for 30 years now - I presume that means Mr. Burton abandoned the 6 hammer saddle bridge before that.

13. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

If you watched that (very interesting) Anderton Music video of the Fender factory tour last week that somebody here, you can see how truly 'hand made' these guitars are. It can somewhat depend on which technician hand finished your guitar's body. My '12 AV is a masterpiece, but it isn't perfect.

I love that it has it's quirks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.