1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

are agile guitars as good as people say?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Westreverb, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Thanks to everyone for this information
    It will help a great deal
    Its got me so interested but to ship it to Australia will cost $180 to $210 which is a good whack if you are not compatible
    It's still cheaper to do that than buying a different make in this country.
    No wonder my local guitar shop owner drives a Merc and goes to Italy each year for holiday... Ha!
    We get so stitched up for price here but now with the dollar being strong we are very slowly catching up
    Agile seem to be worth the cost of shipping
    Thanks for all the advice
    Think I'll take a punt

2. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

I don't think you will be sorry.

A bud of mine bought one several years ago, had me rewire it for him with new pups (his call, he ordered them at the same time he ordered the guitar). That was a screaming machine, and from what I have seen and read, they've only gotten better...;)

3. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

The very worst guitars I've ever had the displeasure of owning. The cheapo SX models are 10 time the guitars as the Agile line. I see no point in buying a guitar that you know that you'll have to change every single thing on it to make it passable at best. There are such better guitars out there that smoke these things in each and every way for the same or less dough (Any USA Peavey, Greco, Ibanez Roadstars / Blazers from 81-84) and on and on. I doubt that you'll find a serious guitarist boasting about the Agiles, only pleople that like to try to polish a turd by modding it to death. I vote a big 3 thumbs down.

4. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

1 out of 23 aint to bad.

5. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

6. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I've owned several Agiles. You must have gotten a bad one. They are great guitars for the money.

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, sorry, I meant the Gibson style guitars all seem to be listed as having the Fender style 1-5/8" nut width. Not my taste especially on a flatter Gibson style fretboard radius. My fingers don't fit.

But otherwise they look great. I assume they are set neck like Gibsons? Odd that they'd choose a narrow nut like that.

8. weeladdie

weeladdie Tele-Meister

I had an Agile AL3100M that was as good as the Gibson LP and Epiphone Elitist LP I owned at the same time.

Didn't have to do ANY mods to it, great guitar right out of the box.

9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have an AL3100M that I think is a very nice guitar. A friend who plays it regularly owns a Gibson LP, and he says that mine is as good in every respect as the Gibson. Of course that is subjective, but I'm definitely happy with it.
    I also have an AL2500 12-string Agile - very cool 12 string. I've played it side-by-side with a Ric 360-12, several times, and I have to say that there wasn't much difference in tone. I think the Ric was built better, nicer components, etc, but they really didn't sound that different.

10. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

11. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

ITSGOTQUACK bad day at the office:rolleyes:

12. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Geez Mr Quack ,
    This is just a discussion , please don't bust a fuffel valve.
    Not everyone is going to agree with you and that's OK.
    Thanks for trying to save my stupid existence , I'll take it all onboard.
    Have a happy day

13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Slow down Jethro. I want to make sure I've got this right. You are posting on a thread that has at least a couple of dozen guitar players who are raving about how good their Agiles are and stating that "you doubt if you'll find a serious guitarist boasting about the Agiles". Frankly I don't care if you like Agiles or not. At the end of the day I'm the only one that has to like my guitar. But do you really believe that none of the posters on this thread who are praising their guitars are serious guitar players.

That seems to me to be a pretty thoughtless statement. I guess all of these other pickers and my self have just been jerking off. I suppose that all those bands I've played with over the last 46 years just had me around cause I'm fun to be with.

So pray tell all of us noodling hackers from your vast experiences in the "serious" world of guitar playing just exactly what it is that is so crappy about Agiles. Or even better, since I'm going to choose to believe that a fair number of us posting here are indeed "serious" guitar players and still aren't buying your Agile is a crappy guitar routine then at least let us know what happened between you and Rondo/Agile that fried your bacon to a crisp.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  14. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

I think so...I did notice they have a thru neck model from time to time

[​IMG]

Agile AL-3000 BBR Neck Thru w/ EGC-300LP
    Neck-Thru Version of the Popular AL-3000!
    Graph Tech NVS2 Bridge with String Saver saddles
    Neck-Thru design with 5 piece (maple/walnut) neck for improved neck stability.
    Solid mahogany (not a multi-ply!) arch top body
    High quality Burl Ash Top (100% real wood top-not a photo top!)
    Douglas EGC-300LP hard shell case included
    Triple bound body, and headstock. Single binding on neck.
    Improved Nickel plate hardware, including Nickel die-cast Grover tuners with 18-1 turning ratio for ultra fine tuning (Model 102-18N)
    Two Type V Alnico humbucker pickups for warm, tradional sound
    The AL-3000 now comes with improved wiring, improved pots (now higher voltage with brass shafts for reduced noise) and an improved pickup selector switch
    Two volume and two tone controls, plus a three way pickup selector switch
    13.7" (350mm) neck radius neck for fast play and adjustable truss rod
    Ebony fretboard with 22 Jumbo Frets and real Abalone Trapezodial inlays
    The AL-3000 features D'addario strings installed at the factory and a professionally cut Graph Tech Nut
    Individually hand filed frets for professional feel and playability
    Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"; at the 21st fret: 2 3/16"
    Neck taper/thickness at the 1st fret: 21.5 mm; at the 12th fret: 23.5mm
    Overall length: 40"; Scale length: 24.7"
    Body thickness: 2" at edge; Width at the widest point: 13"
    Actual Weight is only 10 lbs

How to pick the right AL model: AL Spec Comparison.

15. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Westreverb if you are thinking seriously of an Agile AL3000/3100 or higher don't let some negative opinions put you off, they are seriously good guitars and I would like to think that I am a serious player.

I have a few Agiles mainly because I am left handed and I can't get lefty guitars in Australia that match the price and quality of Agiles. I have a TC630 which is a tele copy for $199 when I bought it. They have increased to $299 but still worth it, as good as or better than a Mexican Fender Tele.

I'm not sure where you got the shipping quote from. I just did a dummy order for an AL3000 Wine Red spalted $399 and a Douglas EGC-300LP Brown case $65, and the combined shipping to Brisbane is $159 for a total of $624 US. If you order from Rondo you have to purchase a case for international shipping. At the current exchange rate $624 US is $593 AU.

If you are right handed your options are higher for around $600 e.g. the Wilkinson Vintage LPs get a good wrap and the Chinese Tokais are pretty good as well. The Agile is said to be similar in quality to the high end Epiphones which go for about $1,200 here. The only risk if you order an Agile is the no return policy for international but I have never had a problem with five Agiles purchased over the past three or four years.

16. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

I'm pretty keen after all the research I have been doing.
    The Tokai models are great but I do like the Japanese models over the Chinese ones as the pickups are far Superior in my opinion and they feel better but start at $1699 ( before discount )
    Agile seem to offer quality wood and hardware at an incredible price and the general opinion of 99% of people that get one are stoked in sound , workmanship and feel.
    I can't think of any company apart from the higher end Fenders or PRS that can have that kind of support
    I'm willing to go for it out of instinct and research
    Thanks for everyones input , I really appreciate it.

17. Westreverb

Westreverb Tele-Meister

Can I just add that I bought a CV 50 s Tele after researching it on this forum and elsewhere and Love that guitar!!
    Thank you TDPR members.
    You Guys Rock!!

18. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

Nope, I don't have to work. It's always a great day when all you do is play guitar at your house for a living. Every single day is simple perfect actually.

19. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

20. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Time to ratchet it down a notch or this thread is gonna be locked down faster than you can say...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.