1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are 1960 Tele's all awesome?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by opdev1, May 2, 2019.

1. opdev1

opdev1 Tele-Meister

I specifically mean the year 1960

I've played 2 (and they were fantastic) and anyone selling one (see Gary's Guitars one on Reverb) always raves about them.

Resonant, lively, are the typical words. And they seem rare since Fender was busy making strats.

Anyone with a 1960? Gush on.....

d barham and guitarmoron like this.
  2. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

They sound a little thin compared to early 50s ones. They're rare in the early 60s but from 66 on they made plenty again. In my experience there are some excellent ones and lots of average ones. But then I'm biased and blessed with a really good 55 refin which makes it hard to get excited about a CBS guitar.

guitarmoron likes this.
  3. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    no, "dogs" are around everywhere .....

talk about better materials/craftmanship etc ... the probability might be higher to get an " awesome" one ... but i wouldn't bet it ... i think we have some of the (new) greatest ever built guitars around in the last years ...

Uncle Butch and guitarmoron like this.
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Wish I had one.

By 1960 Fender had become a major manufacturer but only had around 100 employees. Forrest White was vice-president and general manager while George Fullerton had become vice-president in charge of production. Newer production tooling had been in place for a few years but they were being built much like the early years.

By 1964 when negotiations with CBS were happening there were over 500 employees. I'm not saying things changed for the worse between those dates but just tracking a product had to be a harder task, let a lone quality control.

2 Headed Goat and AJ Love like this.
  5. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

7EAA66D1-A84A-4105-AEC3-03AE845EB0AC.jpeg 7EAA66D1-A84A-4105-AEC3-03AE845EB0AC.jpeg F304D8B9-B0A0-4499-88B1-1A5DCB179FC6.jpeg
    Well since you asked, I’ve only played one 1960 Tele. Not only is it great sounding, it’s lightweight. Always glad to share a picture or two.

Attached Files:

6. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

d barham, is that all original?

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Yes, all 1960 Telecasters are awesome. I mean c'mon they are 59 year old handcrafted guitars using old growth wood!

Having said that, not all of them are going to sound great, especially in my hands (!)

I do think 97% of them can be made to play great by a skilled tech....

8. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Isn't Robben Ford's Tele a 1960?

AJ Love likes this.
  9. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

Depends on your definition of original. I think the neck, pickups and other hardware are original. The body, although period correct is not original to the rest of the guitar. The saddles should be threaded and it has one too many string trees, but I like it the way it is.

gitarjoe likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

There are two types of old guitars

1) ones that played and sounded bad and stayed in the case, ignored, but allowed to age gracefully. They look so nice that collectors never play them.
    2) ones that played great and sounded great and got played and cherished and carefully bequeathed to future players. They have the relic of real life and parts repaired and replaced and altered in bad times and restored in good times.

All the other guitars between these extremes mostly vanished.

Except those late 1950s Les Pauls they say of the 500 built there are only 2,000 still in use...

teletimetx likes this.
  11. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Yes. All 1960 Tele's are awesomely expensive!

12. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

So, if, like you state, there are only two types of guitars. Then all closet queens are bad examples and all guitars with a lot of wear are good ones... This is exactly the internet wisdom I read everywhere but isn't based on any facts at all.
    There is no textbook rule... I've played very good closet queens and very bad worn ones... Some people are very careful with their guitar and clean it after each practice, some don't. Some bad guitars got treated like **** and still got played extensively over the years and are worn down completely.

And it's the same with manufacturing years. "Are all 1960 teles awesome"? No, same as not all 1959 Les Pauls are awesome, or every 1950 Broadcaster,... Each will have their own character, feel and sound. And there are some general similiraties between the models of each year, like roughly the same neck shape or thickness, pickup output and nut width. But all will be slightly different and not too guitars are alike. I've been collecting data of pre-cbs guitars for over years now, and it's impossible to do statements like: every 1960 Tele is awesome, or all closet queens are dogs... These are just phrases being repeated online without any facts at all.

agogetr likes this.
  13. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

Yes, I love my ’60.
    It’s very resonant and lively and gives back everything you put in to it.
    I have played several Teles from that period and they were pretty close in feeling and resonance. Not all as good as this one but others were about the same. Very cool year!

1-1960Telecaster-sn51842-3878.jpg 2-1960Telecaster-sn51842-3893.jpg 5-1960Telecaster-sn51842-3898.jpg

14. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Is that the original finish? If so, any chance we could see a photo without the pickguard? It would be cool to see how much or how little the contrast is.

15. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

image.jpg image.jpg Well ok. Not sure how I feel about your request for me to take something off and post pictures on the internet, but I’m in. Very little discoloration on mine.

16. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Yeah...well, when you put it that way. :lol:

Wow, very little difference! Not much checking either. Thanks! :cool:

Getting back to the OP, I wonder if Jimmy Page's tele is an early 1960? The serial number is 50062. It does sound quite good.
    I don't know what to make of the ink stamped 2 58 slab neck date though. o_O Didn't ink stamps arrive in 1962?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  17. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i have played a couple, one i own. i think the stars aligned around 1960 with those rosewood neck teles.
    the neck on mine feels as good as anything ive played and better than most. ironically a junior i have with an exceptional fretboard is also a 60 and i have a ton of juniors. ditto with a dotneck. i think 1960 was a good year for guitars in general, and all the other years...actually i love every guitar ever made

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.