1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Arduino coil winder....

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 24, 2020.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Cool. I was thinking that something like this would be a good project for an Arduino. The main "thing" is counting the turns, I suppose. StewMac and others show projects using a hand drill to wind; perhaps several options out there.

Are you going to build one?

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Lego robotics could do it too - the motors can count their turns. You could add degrees of ‘scatter’ algorithmically too.

If lockdown keeps going, i have a couple of EV3 kits to give to a go but bandlab is keeping me busy.

SRHmusic likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Nope...I bought a pen turning lathe and converted it into a pickup winder.

PenPal pen lathe / pickup winder build | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yeah, we have an old NXT kit here... good idea! Those motors are not too fast, but with some gearing...

6. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Anyone got a rough estimated cost of the 3D printed parts needed for this project? Most of us don't have access to a 3D printer so would need to pay to get these parts made.

There's 18 3D parts in that diagram, it would be even better if at least some of those used could be substituted by easily bought items.

Hopefully someone will video a similar project working with details on how to get it working!

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

i gave my 3D printer back but a lot of that stuff on there is cosmetic or easily substituted... glue, scraps of wood, bent strips of thin metal and wire and lego or meccano would all work for holding parts.

trancedental likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You'd be better off to buy a pre-built winder off ebay .. the printer services can be $30 for the larger pieces and $5-$10 on the smaller ones. Then you still have to buy all the other parts.

You could track down one of the small desktop 3D printers for $250 or less, maybe holiday sales search can find something cheaper.
    $20 spool of plastic wire and print time.

Otherwise, just order a sewing machine motor + controller off Amazon/ebay for $15.
    Cheaper and easier than dismantling an actual sewing machine, as there are not many vintage machines left to chop up for a winder project, kind of like chopping up a vintage guitar to strip for a couple of parts.

Fender used sewing machine motors as revealed at 5:50min in this video.
    Mounted simply to a block of wood with a wire guide.

Otherwise .. for $500-$600 you can get one of these

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.