Archtop strings for Rockabilly: Flats or roundwounds?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by E5RSY, Apr 19, 2017.

1. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I've started sing GHS David Gilmour custom strings 10-48 (round wound) on my Gretsch for rockabilly- I found heavier strings just too hard on my old hands after a couple of hours - sounds mighty good!

E5RSY likes this.
  2. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

TI Flats have all of the twang, pop needed for my tele.

3. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Definitely flats for me. I like the plunk plink sound. Roundwounds ring out too much, especially when using slapback.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

For my archies, I've gone with flatwound G B and high E, and regular D'Addarios for the bottom three. I like the snap and twang on the lower strings.

The "half-flats" are another option, I've liked those all right, too.

I'll still take a regular set of D'Addarios over a full flat set

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  5. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Yep. I tried a set once, just to see why nobody uses them. Had the sustain of a cheap banjo, but without the high end.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Am I being dumb here? flats for your 3 top strings? A BT joke that got missed?

E5RSY likes this.
  7. blowtorch

No joke, it's along the same train of thought as brass saddles for your high strings and steel for your low on your tele, if you follow me

8. screamin eagle

Yeah but your high B and E strings aren't wound strings. They're the same strings between sets of rounds and flats. I get the G string, I like a wound G on some guitars, but the B and high E? You buy a set of flats for just those unwound strings?

E5RSY likes this.
  9. blowtorch

I have done that, yes. I've found that they different enough in a good way to make a difference. My perception was, they were warmer, even though they weren't wound

This is back when I was more finicky about these things, back when I was really chasing a particular tone. These days I am way more likely to be satisfied with just a "standard" set of regular D'addario 10s

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. screamin eagle

Interesting. I always thought that the plain strings were the same between the rounds and flats sets. I'm pretty certain they are in the Thomastik Infeld line up.

By chance were you unknowingly buys sets of both nickel plated and pure nickel strings and just thought that one was warmer than the other without knowing you were getting different types of strings?

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Another for the flatwound-plunk-kills-my-vibe crowd. Used it for a few months on solid bar bridge Gretsch, intonation on the wound G improved, but the whole point of a bar bridge was lost with that flat flat tone.

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I've tried flatwounds a few times. they have their virtues, but ultimately, I always end up switching back to roundwounds.

Just went through this exercise with a new (to me) Dearmond T400 hollowbody. The seller had it strung up with TI swing .12 flats. He'd really thought through how he wanted to sound. Those strings worked well with the typically bright sound of the aluminum bigsby bridge. It was a good balance.

Tried to go with it, but I kept wanting to hear more detail in the base. So just switched to roundwound .12s, and like it better now. IMO, you can always dial out the extra snap from roundwounds, a little off the tone knob, or usually just by not running guitar volumes full up. Whereas with flatwounds, you can't really get that extra clarity back in by turning knobs.
    MD

13. blowtorch

Anything is possible, I suppose

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.