Archer Owners.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jpjr50, Jan 12, 2016.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

So my son wants me to get the Archer because James Bay uses it. We are copying James pedals...well some of them anyway.

There are two types of Archer's, one is a silver body and the other is like a light gold color. There is a $20 difference between the two ($179 vs $199). I asked the dude at Sam Ash the difference and he told me the more expensive one is the latest issue.

Would like to know what you think of your Archer pedal?

2. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

As far as I can tell the gold is supposed to be the gold version of the Klon and the silver is the silver Klon.

I prefer the gold IMO is tighter and more touch responsive. Both are excellent though.

3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

save some money and get any old klon klone in the hundred dollar neighborhood. its not like these guys in the klone market are reinventing the wheel ...

4. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Silver vrs Gold = same circuit with the Gold having some apparently unobtainium diodes. If you have the ears of a dog, you might tell the diff.

I recently replaced my Soul Food with a Gold Archer and there is a difference between the two.

For $hitsandgiggles

DW

5. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

That video was pretty funny. Still like the way that Archer sounds though even if a few bucks could be saved.

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I love my silver archer. Smoooooth low gain OD kind of in all the settings of drive or fat boost with the drive all the way down!

Klon-y goodness for cheap (got mine used for like 100 bucks)

Works best into a tube amp being pushed just to the limit.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  8. ambar_de_kotu

ambar_de_kotu Tele-Meister

I didn't like my silver archer. I bought to play with my strat and Tele into my Vox. I tried really hard to like it but in the end I just went back to my trusty TS 808....

9. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

In keeping with my TC Electronics theme I'm picking up the MOJO Overdrive tomorrow.

So here are my current pedals: BOSS DD-20 Delay, TC Hall of Fame Reverb, TC MOJO Overdrive. Next up TC Corona Chorus and TC Poly Tuner.

10. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

I have a silver Archer and it sounds great with my Dr Z If you're after a good klone, I encourage you to watch this video for a comparison of some of the big names (including both versions of the Archer, the Soul Food and - the one that I want to try next - the Wampler Tumnus.)

11. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

I think James' uses the silver one. To my ears the silver is a tad brighter and the gold compresses slightly more with a little more low mid character. I like the silver but find its hard to tell the difference live and with your amp/guitar/chain...

12. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

The EHX soul food is cheap enough to buy and try, to see if you are a Klon type player. Honestly, I've had them and it was wasted space on my pedalboard. You can get the same low gain sound from a Tube screamer variant.

13. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I find the silver archer to be one of those pedals where th r 3 knobs interact a LOT and sometimes in slightly counterintuitive ways, that are often amplified when stacking with it.

I like my volume knob at about noon. This goose the heck out of your amp and is really nice and loud but not too loud. The drive I like set at about 2 o clock. This setting is pretty muddy unless you compensate by setting the tone knob at about 2:30 which really opens the sound up a lot and makes it sound nice and twangy with great harmonic content that rolls off nicely.

I play into a deluxe reverb reissue with a little reverb set to nice and sparkly with a good bit of bass but not a ton.

Treble 5 bass 3 reverb 2.5 volume 3 input 2 no tremolo.

14. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

He does use the silver one.

Why is the Analogman Bi-Chorus super expensive?

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I bought the Soul Food when it first came out and It took a bit to decide if I liked it. At first I did not like the low-fi tone of it and after a while I began to like that effect. I played it at 50 to 70 gigs and used it on a CD recording. After deciding that I actually did like a "klon-ish" effect... At some point after watching some comparisons I wondered if I was missing something more faithful to the original and started looking for a better replacement. I considered the KTR but they are about $100 too much for me ($260ish). I read that J Rockett had worked on the original release of the KTR and had produced the Archer after the KTR production was outsourced. I read that the Gold Archer is supposed to have the original "klon type" diodes and the silver has similar diodes... for whatever reason I bought the gold Archer Ikon for $150 as a "demo or return" and I have been pretty happy with it. The sound can be a little "woofy" in my setup with P-90's if it is turned up too much. I find that often I set it at the boost I want and bring the drive up for just a little grit and leave it on all night. I am really happy with the gold Archer Ikon and it will be on the board for a long time.

16. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

17. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

This is correct. I currently have both & have been A/B ing them for a week. I'm returning the gold Ikon. They are very close & the differences are subtle at best. However, The silver (to my ears), is a tad brighter & works a little bit better to thicken the tone of a telecaster with the gain nearly off & the volume up to about noon (which is what I use it for). Also, the buffer in both of these is excellent & will bring to life all pedals that follow it in your signal chain.

igor4444 likes this.
  18. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I got the gold Ikon for Christmas and like it well enough, especially with brighter pups, but I think the TS 808 has more clarity, a creamer overdrive tone, and a more balanced midrange.

It's not night and day, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the TS.

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I think tubescreamers cut to much high and bass but they can sound pretty darn good.

I am intrigued by the HAO rumble because it sounds less compressed with those highs and lows added back to the 808 circuit.

20. Odie251

Odie251 TDPRI Member

I have the silver. I like it better than a tube screamer and normally use it as a boost into another pedal. It adds a color to the tone I like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.