1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aqualung tones?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 41144, Feb 20, 2021.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

My memory from old interviews was that he used a Les Paul Junior, which he got after being inspired by Leslie West.

2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have no desire to sound like someone else. I prefer being myself. The biggest compliment I ever got was when I was driving somewhere with a friend, and I put a cassette in the car's stereo, and before I said anything, my friend said "Hey, that's you. I can tell by the style".
    However, for a pedal to get close to the cranked Marshall sound, I would go for some type of Plexi variant.

3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Question: is there a bass doubling the riff under the guitar?

4. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

In this interview he mentions Hiwatt and a Les Paul Junior:
    "A lot of our readers probably consider “Locomotive Breath” a definitive British rock guitar song. What was your setup on that tune?
    That was a Hiwatt amp with a 4X12 cabinet, and a Les Paul Junior. We’d played in America with a band called Mountain, and I loved Leslie West’s sound. I thought his tone was tremendous, so I bought a Les Paul Junior. That was the only guitar I used on the Aqualung album. I didn’t use any effects; I plugged straight into the Hiwatt. The reverb or any other sounds were studio rack effects."

https://www.vintageguitar.com/2842/martin-barre/

Funny how he screwed up his first audition and they tried out Tony Iommi at first. I woner why that didn't work out......? (No offense, Toni Iommi has certainly earned his place in the history of rock).
    I always thought it was a Les Paul Goldtop with P90s and a Marshall halfstack.
    Recording that Hiwatt via a 4x12 cab must have been even more of a hellish experience for anybody else in the studio, Marshall's are loud, but these amps are LOUD!

5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I'd rather say it's the tone knob rolled back to get this kind of nasal sound.

41144 likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That compression and midrange snarl comes from cranking the amp up.

Once people understand the rock and roll hall of lame has nothing to do with rock and roll, it will be plainly evident why Tull hasn’t been inducted.

41144 likes this.
  7. Hawkins

Hawkins TDPRI Member

These days, I believe Barre rocks a PRS guitar on the song.

41144 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.