Aptera: I'm in

Bedder18

Tele-Meister
aptera-hero_asphalt-doors-closed.jpg

Another view...

Bedder18

Tele-Meister
I wonder how well it holds up against my 5 MPG Hummer in a crash.

Yeah, that’s gonna leave a mark.

im wondering how it holds up to a 50mph wind gust. Imagine the cabin noise? I bet that thing sounds like it’s being ripped apart by banshees on the inside. I’m all for innovation, but that’s an upside down storage tote on a tricycle,

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Off the grid and can barely run a 6L6 amp at the end of the day. Besides, no way could that thing could inch worm it's way up our rock, mud, ice and snowy road. Fail even before we talk about aesthetics.:rolleyes:

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I like its styling, and the overall concept, but, and this is a great big but, they've been taking "pre-orders" since at least 2012. I know because that was when I first took notice of them.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
It looks like a three-wheeled Ady Gil.

And like the Ady Gil, it’s probably not safe to be in when it crashes into something.

Steerforth

Friend of Leo's
I think one of those was displayed in Cleveland at the 1936 Great Lakes Expositiion.

It has sort of a retro vibe. I’d look one over.

I wonder if you could remove the electric stuff and drop a 454 cu. in. Chevy in it? :lol:

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, that’s gonna leave a mark.

im wondering how it holds up to a 50mph wind gust. Imagine the cabin noise? I bet that thing sounds like it’s being ripped apart by banshees on the inside. I’m all for innovation, but that’s an upside down storage tote on a tricycle,

They claim that because the wind resistance is extremely low it's very quiet inside. The low drag is why they can get up to 1000 miles on a charge.

They also claim the body is engineered like a formula 1 car, for safety, but it hasn't been tested yet.

Last edited:

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Off the grid and can barely run a 6L6 amp at the end of the day. Besides, no way could that thing could inch worm it's way up our rock, mud, ice and snowy road. Fail even before we talk about aesthetics.:rolleyes:

Solar charging via onboard panels on the roof and hood. They clam you can get over for miles of range per day just from the onboard solar panels.

They offer an "off-road" package: "More ground clearance and tougher wheel covers so you can take your Aptera off-road."

And it has an "all wheel drive" option. Who knows?

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
My wife has like a 10 mile drive to work. She parks in a big open parking lot. She would never have to plug the thing in, ever.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It’s probably built with three wheels so that it can be classified as a motorcycle and avoid the tougher safety standards for cars. Things like air bags and crumple zones would add too much weight and besides, who needs safety?

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s probably built with three wheels so that it can be classified as a motorcycle and avoid the tougher safety standards for cars. Things like air bags and crumple zones would add too much weight and besides, who needs safety?

They claim three wheels because it reduces drag dramatically.

"We will not know Aptera's actual rating until we pass a production vehicle through the full safety test. But we are designing to exceed all passenger car standards and the previous version had the highest roof crush strength of all passenger cars on the road, and it performed exceedingly well in actual side and frontal crash tests. Aptera features a Formula One-inspired safety cell with advanced composites and metal structures for impact strength. Similar to aerospace and racing, these energy-absorbing methods are a core part of our safety strategy and have proven effective time and time again in high speed impacts."

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Those fender skirts look like they are excessively low. I would be afraid to pull into my modest driveway for fear of bottoming out.

Cool idea.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
A friend seems more and more correct that the right sort of e-assist bicycle is the best new mouse trap for simple transportation aid. He got one when another friend got his Tesla. It can carry a lot as far as errands and getting to work. with no or little sweat it got him to the office about same time as car in traffic. Peddling hard after work gets him a workout.