Approaching retirement, time to unload?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunk Man, Dec 6, 2019.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

You will have more time to use the stuff you have. Possibly even find time for more...

bgmacaw likes this.
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

We have accumulated so much "junk" (my music stuff is a big part of that), it is just mind numbing to think about how to "unload" all of it. My plan was to slowly do it after I retire, but if we down size before retirement I won't have room to store it. I just can't figure out how to get this square peg in that round hole.

:(

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Burn that bridge when you come to it.

Retirement in Quebec? It doesn't get better than that! The only way to improve that situation would be if you had some snowbird deal where you spend four winter months every year in the Caribbean.

The guitar deal:

Dichotomize and figure out which one or ones you won't miss. If you can't cut one off from the herd you're not ready to sell.

If you're going to sell most and leave a few consider a deal on the U.S. side of the border. Each U.S. dollar is worth $1.32 Canadian today. Pricing often takes that into account, sometimes not. Or hold out until the exchange hits $1.50.

It may not but that's a handy reason to keep 'em.

:cool:

The trend I'm seeing with guitar pricing is guys overpaid to begin with. It happens. Same guys put their stuff on Reverb 50% overpriced, that is priced at 50% higher than they overpaid. Then they sit on it and wait. Net result is a lot of good gear isn't getting used.

I'll stop by with a van next time I'm out there.

Loves me some "junk", yes I do!

:) :) :)

Torren61, darkwaters and Tommy Biggs like this.
  4. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

This thread's quite a coincidence! I've recently been made redundant from my job and due to retire in 18 months so my chances of getting anything else locally are quite slim other than unskilled minimum wage vacancies. On top of that, the owner of the rented house I live in is putting it up for sale shortly. So... I'll need to find somewhere cheaper & smaller. That means there won't be much space for all my musical gear so it's gonna be big culling time soon. It's gonna hurt. Now to persuade my partner to trim her things down too :eek:.
    I was kinda hoping for a better end to my working life.

5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I retired a couple of years ago. I have been selling pedals and parts, here and there to fund new hobbies. Sure spending for entertainment and amusement was factored into my retirement financials, BUT - it's nice to sell something I don't use for some 'free money'. Photography can be an expensive hobby!

I've been skimming up to now, which I'm hoping makes it easier to part with bigger items I've owned forever. It's harder to sell the stuff I have to actually pack up and ship though.

I don't need to sell this stuff - but one day I might move from my home of 30 years. Why pack up the big gear (and pay to move it) if I'm probably never going to get the chance to use it again?

I'll keep 2 acoustics and 2 or 3 Electrics and at least 2 amps, but that still leaves me a whole bunch of things to sell off.
    So my thinking is to keep paring down the gear I truly don't use or need and avoid a massive sell-off (with a deadline) at the end.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Ricky D. and rcole_sooner like this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

When I pass on, my guitars, amps and effects will be divided among my five guitar playing sons.

My only disappointment is that there is no one interested in learning, taking over or inheriting my guitar, amp and effects repairing business. Tubes, test equipment, germanium transistors, etc. will likely get tossed or donated to GoodWill.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I retired about two years ago, so I can relate. My position is that, although I'm currently healthy and active, I see people my age (and younger) in the obituaries every day. I want to leave as few hassles for my heir (grandson) as possible when the inevitable occurs. I rarely play out more than my #1 Tele, and even at home other guitars have sat in a closet for ages.
    jvin has suggested a good method to use.....put guitars and amps away, and, if after a few months you haven't missed them or dug them out to play, get rid of them......they're not THAT important. Pass them on to someone who WILL use them.
    And.....enjoy retirement. I LOVE it! ;)

jim777 and Greggorios like this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wouldn't do anything yet. Transitioning into retirement can be tricky. At least it has been for me. I'd advise waiting to see how things go. You have plenty of time to do so down the road if you still think you want to lighten up.

9. Greggorios

Great advice.:)

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

False alarm

nobody that posts asking if they should sell something ever sells

nobody that professes they have a hard time letting go of things ever lets go of things

nobody that states they are attached to stuff ever really gets unattached

They just post so people will say “no - more things are good !” and confirm what we all know they think in the first place.

NewKid, Ricky D., Tommy Biggs and 2 others like this.
  11. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I have more than half of my guitars already assigned to my kids who will inherit them. So for example, when I look at my '78 Ibanez jazz guitar (hand built by Tamura-san - who studied in NYC with John D'Angelico) I know it's Emily's when I die. So....I can't go selling Emily's guitar, now can I? ;)

12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I'm 10 years from retirement, yet the "mass amounts of stuff" we accumulate is on my mind. I have been down sizing gear. Sold 3 guitars and 3 amps in the past 12 or so months. The others that were hard to let go of, time changes that. As time rolls on I am starting to feel a little at ease about moving out a couple more pieces. I think my 1960 5F6A Bassman will be next to go. They are just not getting used like they should. It's not about the cash. Just thinking there is no need. My '59 5E3 is gone. My '59 Twin gone. My '62 Twin gone. '48 Masco, gone. USA Tele, gone.

I was attached to some of these pieces. I have let some go and more are going. I too think about my sons having to deal with all my stuff someday. I don't want them to have to do that. I will deal with it well before that time comes.

13. Greggorios

Hmmm, just a thought: You could always check with a local trade school or music school to see if there might a young person who'd be interested in learning about amp/effects repairs and who knows, maybe even take over your little business. There's an old saying, "When the student is ready the teacher will appear". You might just be the teacher some young person is waiting for! Good luck.:)

Honest Charley and DADGAD like this.
  14. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I collected all of this stuff for when I had time to really enjoy it. That time is now that I'm retired. Each to their own. Most of my gear would be much more difficult to replace today.

15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, TeleFunk Man, 6 years ago, I WAS where you now ARE! I retired from the State of New Jersey's Department of Human Services at age 60, after 35 years of service!

Here's my $.02, based on your current situation:

#1 Regarding employment, work long enough to qualify for the pension.

#2 Regarding Social Security, if you're married, start collecting at age 62; statistically, you will not live long enough to recover the lost benefits!

#3 Regarding your gear collection, IME, with regard to retirement, less is best, for plenty of good reasons: meets basic needs, takes less space, requires less maintenance.

Retirement is a new, exciting chapter in your life. It's a time to finally do what YOU want to do, when YOU want to do it!

You worked your entire life to get to this point. Now, it's time for you to enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Good luck! ;)

Ricky D. likes this.
  16. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I've been retired for almost 7 years. I repurposed a shed as a studio, and have been picking up various pieces of inexpensive but cool gear as they come available. I hang my guitars on the wall so I can enjoy them all at while I play one. I still have the guitar I got for Christmas in 1963.

Retirement is about realigning your life to support your ability to live out your years in comfort and happiness, and to pursue your own interests after a lifetime of putting them aside.

Unless you really need the cash to pay for food or something, or you can't walk around in your house because of all the guitars and amps, selling off that which gives you pleasure isn't a good strategy in my way of looking at it.

There's so much extraneous stuff around here that we need and want to get rid of, I can't imagine musical gear ever rising to the top of that heap.

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Keep them and you'll be surprised at how much more time you'll have to play them. (jams, recording, etc).

18. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

If you ever want to unload that Roland, look me up. ;)

blowtorch likes this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That one's staying :cool:

20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I went the other way. Approaching retirement, I bought all the bits and pieces I was going to need- but have less money to pay for- in future. I play more gigs and record more songs now, than I ever did, as a younger man.
    Getting rid of stuff will take care of itself. There are guitars and amps earmarked for friends and relatives and a few pieces that will be sold. It's not about ownership but utility and value. When I no longer want to use things, they will make someone else happy and are often worth more money than I paid for them. that's a win-win. Dumping things, to clear the decks for an uncertain future, is not my style;-)

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.