Approaching retirement, time to unload?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleFunk Man, Dec 6, 2019.

1. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

After 25 years I'm finding it harder to stay motivated and keep living with the politics of work life, perhaps a sign to think about retirement? I'll be able to officially retire in 20 months with a pension...One dilemma is what to do with my collection of gear; 8 guitars, 4 amps. My bands days are over but I do plan on spending more time playing at home if / when I retire. But no way do I need so much gear. Do I keep or unload? If I want to unload guitars I'd be hard pressed to pick any 2-3 to sell off, love them all equally.

Anyone else struggle with selling off guitars, amps, stuff you love? How did you solve?

Skydog1010, esetter, dented and 4 others like this.
  2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've sold off quite a few guitars and pedals over recent years for some of the same reasons. I regret almost every one. My advice would be to think about it a bit longer. Like maybe another 20 or 30 years.

3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Let the folks in your will deal with your stuff in 20+ years...

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

you have the space for it... You don't have a need for cash ... Keep it and enjoy it ... Or at least don't part with anything that you will regret ...

DavidP, OldDude2, Bob M and 5 others like this.
  5. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko TDPRI Member

I have about 5 years to go to retire, and I'm thinking the opposite way. Can't wait to have the time to play and acquire as much gear as possible.

rze99, AlbertaGriff, colnago and 9 others like this.
  6. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I've done a couple of purges over the last few years. My rule is that I don't sell anything I actually play, or anything that would be hard to replace. I just had too many instruments and amps that had sat used for more than a year; in some cases several years.

gitold and nojazzhere like this.
  7. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Two words
    Home recording

8. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

3 ways of approaching this for me

1 Keep what you have
    2 Unload for a lower price than you think your gear is worth
    3 Trade in for better gear (if that's possible)

I have been doing 2 and 3

As a result I now have some amazing gear and more cash in my bank account

I don't miss any of the stuff I got rid of as I have much less but nicer gear now

Ricky D., TeleTown and stantheman like this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

So what does retire have to do with gear sell off . Shouldn't you get more gear to assist you in the retirement years ?

10. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Good point. I guess for me with current full-time employment/financial stability I have no need to sell anything, but thinking when time comes to retire why keep so much gear when it could mean some extra cash for other things...

Tommy Biggs and uriah1 like this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I really need to sell lots of gear but somehow I just keep buying more, instead

A couple dozen guitars, a handful of amps and a boatload of pedals could and should easily go

gitold, Fretting out and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I retired three years ago and had many more guitars and amps than you. Every time I sold off something, I found something else that I wanted. I have more guitars and amps now than when I retired.

A funny thing happened a year after retirement. I got offered a music director job. I am now more busy and play more often than when I was working. To quote a phrase, "Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans."

13. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Approaching retirement. More time to play. Thinking of selling gear.

Jason King.jpg

Obsessed, stormsedge, DADGAD and 2 others like this.
  14. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If I had 8 guitars I've bonded with and I have space, I don't need the cash then I keep them all. This forum is full of stories of getting a nice guitar but not bonding. You've been lucky to find instruments that you connect with.
    You've probably got the 1 or 2 you play most. Keep them handy. The others I would plan on bringing out for a week at a time and see what direction they inspire me to go.
    As for amps, I get less attached there, but for me the same logic would apply.
    Also, if you are lucky enough to not need the cash and you have family/friends you could pass on a legacy.

On to what you really asked about - how do you solve deciding what can go?
    Put 'library card' in each case/gig bag. Write the date each time you pull them out to play. You'll have a record of which you really don't need.
    I'm a data guy. Maybe for you that works for you but if not maybe you write down your best memories with each piece and sort it out that way.

Is your avatar your number 1? Is there a story that goes with it?

15. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I"m all for letting go of stuff you don't use. Sometimes I prefer the space or a less cluttered feeling for the stuff I really like.

DrASATele likes this.
  16. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I retired early so have been at this for a bit..
    If you have things that you no longer play or care about those could be sold.. however I have rebought a “uneeded”
    resonator at least 3 times ( one twice) over the last few years.

Unless there is a pressing $ need I would let it ride, I sold a number of things when we moved last year, simply to help focus more on playing and using the small studio I built with the proceeds. As mentioned time has the ability to add clarity to what can be a stressful situation.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  17. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

If you don't use it, or rather don't love to use it occasionally than sell it. All other roads lead to "I wish I still had XXXX" I am well past my gigging days but far from retirement, but I've held on to my Hot Rod Deville which is a very large amp, I am looking forward to waking my neighbors some day when I am in my late 60's and just want to hear those old familiar sounds coming from that amp and my guitar. Until then I'll use my Blue Jr.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Select one guitar, one pedal, and one amp. Put all the rest of the gear in the back of the closet with other stuff in front of it. Enough stuff you'll be "I don't want to dig through all that just to pull a guitar out" and run that way for six months. Maybe the number is two guitars, three pedals, and one amp. Make sure one of the guitars is "versatile" and the amp is whatever is durable and can be a great pedal platform so effectively the amp is "versatile" too, it's not stuck as a one tube-trick pony.

See if you dearly miss what is packed away, if not then you know what to do.

Your retirement plans may find you wishing for a change of scenery for many reasons so you sell the old house and move to somewhere. The two guitar one amp and a few pedals will travel easy to the new place.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Keep. Retirement is about enjoying things like your hobbies.

Save the big sell off for your estate sale when you have passed on or are going into assisted living.

I know of a guy from around here who ammassed a collection of nearly 200 guitars as well as many amps and other assorted gear after he retired. His heirs were trying to figure out what to do with it all after he died. Maybe you don't want to go to that extreme but it's no different from going on expensive vacations and the like.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Sell.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.