1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Apple Safari Issues

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by w3stie, Jan 27, 2016.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone else having issues? It seems there's a problem related to a site called CrashSafari.com My browser is acting oddly, although I haven't been anywhere near that site - not to my knowledge. I noticed a new update has popped up on my iOS and Mac systems, but I'm hanging off updating. Anyone else?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

It's a known bug that has hit safari on devices and Mac. Got me today - would crash entering a URL

The temp. quick fix should be to clear cache (cookies and site data) and perhaps switch off site suggestions. That fixed mine instantly.

3. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Doubt that it is related to the current problem but my wife's iPad has massive trouble with TDPRI and on irregular occasions keeps reloading pages.

This has been going on since around the middle of last year :rolleyes:

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I had TDPRI forum issues - crashes, reloaded if I left tab, etc. and the text editor had problems. Would crash of I tried to add a picture URL. When I did the latest update to iOS software 9.2.1 they were gone.

What iOS version are you on?

5. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Flash plugin was crashing Safari when accessing TDPRI. Those banners ads you see on the left and right side of the screen are flash based. I reported this last week. Seems the offending banner was replaced (they rotate them). So far not having any issues.

6. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

People use Safari? :eek:

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Yes

8. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

about 4% of desktop users (chrome gets roughly 68%, Firefox 20%, then IE at 6%, then Safari, then everyone else).

But Safari is the dominant mobile browser at 43%, nearly doubling Chrome (and crushing everything else).

So...yeah.

9. Gladiator

Gladiator TDPRI Member

I had like 12 windows open so I closed about half of them and then safari worked again for me. Hope that will help!

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife and I are still on Snow Leopard with MacBook Pros, but she is about one rev back on her iPad and iPhone. No issues, but my automatic home window, Yahoo news, launched with Safari came up this morning in a different format, so I'm thinking that stuff is being changed.

BTW my wife has Firefox too, but only uses it to do certain "TV" show streaming.

11. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

Lots of people use it on iOS devices.

12. stratology

stratology Tele-Meister

What exactly are the issues that you see? Does it affect all websites, or just some? Do the same pages that are affected work as expected with a different browser?

First steps to troubleshoot Safari would be to disable plug ins, disable extensions, clear history and website data (opt-click on the Safari menu to see the menu item).
    More steps here.

13. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Crash safari gets into your computer via an imitation of an Apple help site. At some stage you probably got a message about malware being detected and were then told to click on a link. This downloaded a "nasty" into your applications folder. The latest updates from Apple have included a fix. The Apple website has info on Crash safari and what to do about it if you are using an older OS version. I just missed getting infected because I got suspicious about the pop up window.

14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What O/S are you guys using?
    once I clear the history , cookies , and data base I shut down Safari and do a permissions repair and a restart and it fixes any issues I have usually, I have made a backup external hard drive and use it to do all other types of repairs, defrags, etc and it clears up what I didnt catch the first time plus, I installed a small app called Little snitch that tells me when some one is trying to access my computer and asks permission to allow them. usually NO and I can set it to refuse entry forever and blocks them.

15. Gloveberg

[​IMG]

I only say that because I literally know no one that uses Safari and a good three out of four of them have iPhone's and/or iPad's.

But that's just me :D

16. stratology

stratology Tele-Meister

Permission repair as a troubleshooting and maintenance thread is an Internet myth, that's why Apple has removed it from the current version of OS X - even from the command line.

OS X automatically defrags hard disks in the background, so defragging is unnecessary. If you use SSDs, do not attempt to defrag them.
    OS X requires no maintenance. Clean up and maintenance tools are unnecessary, and sometimes can cause major damage (>Mackeeper malware..)

Little Snitch is a firewall that blocks outgoing connections, and is one of the most common causes for all kinds of issues on the Mac.

17. stratology

stratology Tele-Meister

Are you aware that Chrome was originally built on Webkit, which is the Open Source part of Safari? Google created it's own fork a while ago.

iOS does not allow any 3rd party rendering engines, so Chrome on iOS uses the same tech as Safari.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I run 7 macs, 5 towers , an Imac , and a macbook pro in my studio and have NEVER experienced any thing you claim here, Interesting!!!
    Little snitch is set up to block all incoming access to my system and I have not had an issue so far Apple cant access my system with out permission
    How ever I am running an older OS because there was no need to update,

which is why I asked what OS is being run

19. Gloveberg

I was not aware sir, I just know I use Chrome on every device I have with no issues :D

20. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

except that Chrome has historically been a HUGE memory hog.

I usually use Chrome on desktop, but I always us Safari on mobile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.