1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Apple computer for recording/video editing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gobi_grey, Jan 23, 2021.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to stay around $1000 to $1200. I would like 16gb ram and at least 512gb storage. I don't know anything about graphics so I have no idea what to look for. I've been looking through Apple's refurbished models but there isn't much with 16gb ram. Do I really need that? There are a bunch of mac mini's under a grand with 8bg ram but I have no idea what the other specs mean.
    Any help would be great.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You only need 16GB if you are going to run a lot third party plug-ins. I’ve been running Logic Pro X with 8GB for years with no problem.

The newer M1 SOC Macs with unified memory are even faster. A new MacBook Air M1 will easily run Logic. As for your 512 storage, there are very fast external SSD to add onto the standard 256 storage on entry level Macs. Coupled with cloud storage, most folks have massive storage needs.

OOPS. My bad, I didn’t notice the video editing needs in your inquiry. I got nothing on that! Ignore my gibberish above.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

You can upgrade the memory easily in the all in one iMac. I am still using a 2012 model. (I’d not get that old today though as it wont take latest OS) I upgraded the 4GB to 12Gb memory in about minute. Editing broadcast TV in Final Cut Pro X and doing music for TV fine on it.

SSD would be good choice for general performance if getting newer

A new 8Gb / 16GB mac mini would do music fine and then just get some external storage for lots of video. Likely to be my next purchase. 16gb and biggest ssd.

4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I would go with the M1 mini -- with 16gb ram / 512k ssd it's $1100. That's assuming you have / can scrounge a keyboard, monitor & mouse. This thing looks insane for logic & pretty good for video.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

6. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

What software do you want to use?

7. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Have you thought of an ipad? I use mine all the time for audio (Auria Pro) and video (Luma Fusion). The big, big advantages are that it's silent and you can work anywhere.

8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Logic Pro, probably Superior drummer(takes up like 230g storage). Not sure about video software yet.

9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

So if I went with a mac mini or imac and I got an external harddrive, I would also need a dock for the harddrive?
    I'd really like to go with a laptop but the prices are just too high.

10. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Another question, where's a good place to buy a monitor? Apple's website doesn't really seem to sell them. Would my cheapo HP monitor work? Does it have to be an Apple monitor?

11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

If you don't get a super bargain on a not too used system get the M1 models. For all of them, it's architecture optimized for most personal computing and fast. For portables it's battery life that is a whole new standard.

You should also consider a "4K" or "Retina" class display for quality and good to your eyes.

Personal and desktop computing (and mobile phones) are both at a point where you should consider some future proof in your budget.

For a Mac any comments in external hard drive need to consider drives for the Time Machine backups.

12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I can confirm the M1 Macs are absolutely smoking fast editing video. Get an M1 mini if you’re trying to get one at the lowest price.

It really makes little sense to get an Intel Mac at this point.

I have a 2018 $4000 MacBook Pro 15” that my work paid for and a $2100 M1 13 MacBook Pro that I bought myself. The M1 makes the Intel one look like an absolute dinosaur. I have still not even heard the M1 turn on its fan and it runs circles around the Intel.

13. fatz treeboy

fatz treeboy TDPRI Member

i just bought a 2020 mac mini at 799, new, w/ intel chip.... not the new mobile chip mini's............ i run logic and i do not even have a 2nd hard drive...... it comes with 256 g memory which is plenty....... soon i'll get a 1 t usb drive be set ......all for under a grand.... good luck :) even though the new minis r supposed to be way faster i would wait a year or two...... anybody whose has been in the DAW game long enough will tell you never adopt new OS's or new anything until u MAKE SURE everything still sync's up...... pro-tools is notorius for being a year behind.... and it is never fun to try and go back after u have upgraded ur os.......

14. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

is that included in your budget?

15. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Mac M1. I just got mine last week - I would not consider the older Macs at this point, the M1 chips are the way to go IMO. My transition to the M1 has been surprisingly smooth, and performance has been amazing even with the non-native software.

16. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Mac Mini as already mentioned, more RAM is better from my point of view 16GB is the minimum you should have.

Otherwise a Windows laptop, a good set of headphones or monitors, an audio interface and you're done.

17. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use Dell UltraSharp monitors with my Mac. The only issue I can think of with your existing HP is if it doesn't support HDMI or DP it will require more to interface it and if it's an inexpensive screen, it may only be 1080 pixels wide which is going to be very limited for complex work. I prefer a monitor with at least 2550 pixels wide.

18. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

FYI, that's the case with the 27" iMac but not the 21.5" iMac. If you want to upgrade the RAM, you need the 27".

19. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

Apple’s iMacs are their best bang for buck product. My wife uses one that is a few years old for heavy video work and it has been upgraded to 64GB RAM.

If you can wait, I would recommend waiting for Apple to release their new M1 iMacs before deciding what to get.

I think an Intel or M1 iMac is the best for most people that don’t need portability as they offer a fantastic monitor included in the price.

20. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I run an imac with 8 gb. Intel chip. Its Performs ok. Not awesome. You should know that some Macs are easy to upgrade ram. Not all. Some need to come apart in many pieces to upgrade the ram.
    I use video pad software. I get decent results.

Also know the older mini-mac hard drives suck after a few years. They slow down brutally. My mini is getting upgraded to an SSD soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.