Apparently Neil Diamond's guitar players, Richard Bennett and Doug Rhone, like to play Telecasters...

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
A few months ago, I purchased his Love At The Greek live album, which was produced by Robbie Robertson of The Band. The inner sleeve photos show Richard Bennett and Doug Rhone, who played in Neil's band, playing Telecasters.

R-667233-1436706770-6676.jpeg.jpg

It looks to be a rosewood Telecaster with a rosewood fingerboard. Can anyone at least give me some info about this Tele?
Like when was it manufactured, what tracks was it used on, what happened regarding this guitar etc.? I hope this just about sums up about the Tele.

Richard Bennett also played a Strat and a steel guitar, and he also played on records by Mark Knopfler and Billy Joel. And I do like Neil Diamond playing the Ovation (though he plays more acoustic than electric.)

But I hope you enjoy this post.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Teles are very dynamic and can go from a nice smooth overdrive to a almost acoustic clean which makes sense given Neil's music. I was a ND freak in my 20s. Damn near went to the hot august nite concert at the greek theatre that was where they recorded that double live LP and have kicked myself ever since for not going. That was a great era for him.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
When I think of Richard Bennett I think of that Steve Earle debut album Guitar Town back in 1986. He played a Danelectro 6 string bass to get that deep twang on the title track. Here's a great interview from 2006 with pics of Richard holding a Telecaster.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
RB did play on Earles first two MCA releases. So did Harry Stinson. Mr. Bennett is a legend in Nashville & beyond. To be in Neils band for so long should speak volumes. ND, I'm sure, only demands the best in terms of musicianship. :cool:

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
Loved Neil Diamond through his career, but especially his early stuff when I was in my teens and 20s - part of my youth, good times, and all that. Saw him once around late 60s but don't remember the guitars in the band. Thanks for posting this though!

Haven't heard anything of Neil and his health challenges for a while - hope he is doing OK.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Richard B took lessons from the wrecking crew great, Al Casey.
A huge pro resume starting with touring with several top rockabilly artists.

(He did the rolling wistful gtr parts on "Everybody's Talking," and my fave, "Never My Love" by the Association. Bunches more)..

farmcaster

TDPRI Member
Richard B took lessons from the wrecking crew great, Al Casey.
A huge pro resume starting with touring with several top rockabilly artists.

(He did the rolling wistful gtr parts on "Everybody's Talking," and my fave, "Never My Love" by the Association. Bunches more)..
Side note: "Never My Love" is my go to reference track for tuning & aligning my studio monitors. Great dynamic range, stereo spread & separation of instruments/vocals. Just a great all around recording.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Damn near went to the hot august nite concert at the greek theatre that was where they recorded that double live LP and have kicked myself ever since for not going. That was a great era for him.
I'm a longtime Neil Diamond fan. A friend of mine from college was one of the"tree people".