Apartment Voxie Amp: AC4-C1-12, AC10 or AC15?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Fhede, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

I didn't try the amp with the stock OT either, I bought mine with the upgraded OT.
    I was told that the stock OT wasn't good.

2. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Well, to complicate things even more....see if you can find an AC10c1 with the upgraded speaker. They are way bigger and better sounding than the regular AC10c1 for a $20 or so upcharge. It's designated AC10C1V. Harder to find, but definitely worth looking for....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F383BL5/?tag=tdpri-20

Fhede likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I saw the Tube Screamer comparison also and it made no sense to spend the extra $$ for that. Sort of like any distortion pedal that contains a 12AX7 and sounds solid state anyway. But in the Vox amps, it sounds awesome.

4. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

Great data, but I am afraid that it's not available (at least at the moment) in Argentina. The speaker and the color of the grill are the only differences? In that case I can get a regular one and upgrade the speaker.

5. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    IMHO, the speaker makes a huge difference; changes a good amp into a great one. Of course, you can go the speaker swap route, just trying to point out an easier (to me) option. :) As I said, they're kinda rare here in the States, probably much harder to find elsewhere.

Fhede likes this.
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

That may be your eyes hearing in part for you. Consider blind A/B testing with a friend plugging you in. It might not change the results, but you might find yourself freed from hearing, to an extent, what you expect to hear (which everyone does at a sense cognition level).

Fhede likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

AC15 is way more than you need. The AC4 or AC10 would both be fine.

Fhede likes this.
  8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Monoprice 15.

Fhede likes this.
  9. Fhede

Fhede TDPRI Member

I have an AC15-C2 of a friend at home.
    It's just beautiful!
    I definitely have to sell the AC4, and get an AC15. Anyway I would like to try the AC10 before buying an AC15.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Also, ignore complaints about the AC10C1 having a MOSFET in the preamp. This amplifier is advertised as a modern take on the classic amp, which means they are providing more preamp gain than in the original AC10, which is a good thing. Obviously if you don't need the additional gain, just keep the preamp turned back. You still get the classic Vox tone out of it. It has a tube preamp and a tube power amp. Some people think a MOSFET is a flesh eating virus that destroys the integrity of the entire amp. Play guitar, make music!

11. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

You can try to pretend that the AC10 doesn't have MOSFETs but it still does. It matters to some people and they should know what vox considers as all tube before the purchase
    [​IMG] .

12. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 TDPRI Member

I’m a big fan of the AC10, especially the VS model with the upgraded speaker. Who cares if there’s a MOSFET component in the signal path. I guess if you are such a purest that you don’t use any pedals, you might not want an AC10. Otherwise it’s a bit of hypocrisy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.