AOR (Album Oriented Rock) thread

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
There aren't any AOR stations left in Pittsburgh and that's a shame. My guess is you don't have any either. For those that don't know,. Album Oriented Rock was/is a radio format where they played at least somewhat well known acts but played the songs you didn't here every day

Since it doesn't exist here anymore I thought I make a thread to honor the long loved format.

The "rules* are pretty easy. No songs that were ever in the Top 100. Pick a song you think we'll like, I'd love to get turned onto a new band or two.

I'll start off with:

The Jesus and Mary Chain What can go wrong with a 2 string bass and a White Falcon? Not much.

And an acoustic rocker from Bruce. It's about driving all night to get back to his girl. Cars, girl, fried chicken, a cop and the last goes on as to what he's singing about. Hope you like.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My sense is that the AOR many of us grew up with splintered into genres. Adult-Contemporary, Top 40, Pop, Classic Rock, whatever. I live in a big market and still there is really only one station that is bearable (WXPN, which is excellent.) The Classic rock stations seem determined to play the “worst of.”

People get their music in other ways now. In a lot of ways that’s better - more choices, more control. But there’s too many choices. Sometimes I want someone with good taste to filter it for me. A good old fashioned radio station would do that. Oh well, nostalgia. Those days are over.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Clyde Cifford's Beaker Street on KAAY AM radio in LR Arkansas, 1966-1972. It came back later on an FM station, I think.

Edit: Wikki'd it

Clyde's real name was Dale, and he was an RF guru who serviced and tuned the transmitter towers for local radio and TV stations. He did the Beaker Street show from the KAAY transmitter shack, rather than in the studio. He later resurfaced on KLAZ 98.5 FM, which was sort of a 24-hour Beaker Street anyway.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
WDVE is gone?

sigh

Here's how it'll go:

"Siri, play me deep cuts from American rock music circa 1984."
"How heavy should I go on Van Halen?"
"Pretty heavy, thanks, but don't forget Genesis and some Yacht Rock for contrast."
"Generating list."

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
Interesting thread. Got me thinking about our radio stations here in Germany. We have a lot of publicly funded media, including radio stations. In Bavaria where I live, "Bayern 1" is the station for that older generation. It wasn't that long ago that I wouldn't listen to it with a ten foot-pole, they played mostly German folk music and "Schlager", which I hate.

But now I'm 58 and the station changes it's content with the generations and I have to say, wow, they've really come around.

So, speaking of AOR, I was driving to work at 7am and they played a Jethro Tull song. A song from Aqualung, but not Aqualung and not Locomotive Breath, they played Cross Eyed Mary, my favorite, ha!
And after that, Led Zep, but not what you'd expect there, either:

Who actually liked Schlager? In my late teens I lived in Germany (in the early 80s) and nobody, not my friends, nor their parents, liked Schlager. Some Omis liked Heimatslieder, but nobody I knew liked Schlager.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
WDVE is gone?

sigh

Here's how it'll go:

"Siri, play me deep cuts from American rock music circa 1984."
"How heavy should I go on Van Halen?"
"Pretty heavy, thanks, but don't forget Genesis and some Yacht Rock for contrast."
"Generating list."
Nope DVE is still here but they play the same old same old. I called in on e and couldn't believe that they took my call. I asked her to play Zep's Boogie With Stu and she said "not on our playlist". I begged her and she gave in but holy cow, not on the playlist?

Last edited:

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
Here's a classic that one doesn't hear everyday. I like this version better than the original, this on just has an awesome driving beat.

Six Days

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I think that Johnny Cash should be played on every radio station. Here's a great one with Bobbie Dylan

I was watching Ken Burns Country Music, I highly recommend it, and there was a part where Roseanne, Johnnie's daughter,was being interviewed and she said something to the extent of "I went to school the next day and everyone knew my Dad was on national tv with Bob Dylan!! How cool was that?!?"

Here they are with Wanted Man. I think they just might be the best coupling of vocals ever. They just compliment each other perfectly.

Just plain old perfection.

Last edited:

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
Here's one you'll not hear on the radio. Lucinda Williams and David Crosby hooking up for a Gram Parsons tune. Give it a few seconds and it rocks nicely.

BuckNekkid

Tele-Holic
I was fortunate enough (blessed?) to be in range of the original "Home Grown Radio," WHFS 102.3 FM. Family owned and run (two of the owner's sons were DJs). It started early, and the call letters stood for "Washington's High Fidelity Stereo" radio. The deejays had pretty much free rein, and they ran 30 minutes sets based on a theme, an artist, a genre or whatever came to mind. I was introduced to so much music not heard elsewhere. Many mainstay bands, but also artists like Dr. John (the Night Tripper), Taj Mahal, Lindisfarne, John Fahey, and so many more.

One of my favorite bands, heard on WHFS. This is from their debut double album, Loosen Up Naturally. It's the entire side 4:

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I was fortunate enough (blessed?) to be in range of the original "Home Grown Radio," WHFS 102.3 FM. Family owned and run (two of the owner's sons were DJs). It started early, and the call letters stood for "Washington's High Fidelity Stereo" radio. The deejays had pretty much free rein, and they ran 30 minutes sets based on a theme, an artist, a genre or whatever came to mind. I was introduced to so much music not heard elsewhere. Many mainstay bands, but also artists like Dr. John (the Night Tripper), Taj Mahal, Lindisfarne, John Fahey, and so many more.

One of my favorite bands, heard on WHFS. This is from their debut double album, Loosen Up Naturally. It's the entire side 4:

That Dr John tune is so funny I thought he was a black guy until I saw The Last Waltz. 😎

I never heard of the 2nd act but I'm liking it.

BuckNekkid

Tele-Holic
That Dr John tune is so funny I thought he was a black guy until I saw The Last Waltz. 😎

I never heard of the 2nd act but I'm liking it.
Sons of Champlin were a San Francisco band (natch!) in the heyday of the "Summer of Love." They were fronted by Bill Champlin, a future Grammy-winning singer, songwriter and musician (he joined the band Chicago and played with them 1981 - 2009. He still plays with the Sons of Champlin today. In 1999, a live CD was released, and he is introduced on it as playing with the band "he was meant to play."

There's a pretty good (but not exhaustive) entry on him on Wikipedia.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Here's one you'll not hear on the radio. Lucinda Williams and David Crosby hooking up for a Gram Parsons tune. Give it a few seconds and it rocks nicely.

That whole album is terrific. One of my favorite compilations. Ohh Las Vegas by the Cowboy Junkies is a good one too! (...you have excellent taste!).

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I was lucky enough to see Yes at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh and they closes with And You and I. It's classic Yes