AO finishes vs vintage finishes (Poly undercoats vs fullerplast)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tibble96, Aug 5, 2020.

1. tibble96

tibble96 NEW MEMBER!

Hi all!
    Hope you’re all well, I’m new to posting here (although have read the forum for a while) and was wondering if you clever bunch could clarify some thing for me! I’ve used the search function but it doesn’t seem to yield much information on this topic for this model for me unfortunately!

So I recently purchased an AO 60s Tele, and understand that that this is supposedly nitro finished with a polyurethane undercoat. I know that the nitro of today isn’t the same as yesteryear etc, but I’m confused in regards to just how similar this finishing process is to it’s original vintage counterpart with the poly under the nitro.

From what I understand from my reading on guitarhq, fullerplast on vintage bodies was a sealing of the body to protect it before the colour coating process begun. So with that in mind, how (or is) this any different to the AO finishes today?

The AO finishes seem to get a lot of flack for not being vintage correct, when it seems this may be more accurate to post ‘63 with the protective sealed undercoat compared to thin skins etc that seem to be revered?

Thanks in advance!

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Correct fender has always used a pretty robust sealer

I’ve got a couple nicks in my A.O 60’s and the finish is a lot thinner than the internet would have you believe

The clear coat on mine is especially thin with the binding coming through in multiple spots

MilwMark likes this.
  3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Nothing alike.

The base coat on the AO's acts as a filler for Ash. So, they spray it on the Ash thick enough that they can sand the guitar without burn through before applying the lacquer finish.

Any sealer used on vintage Fenders was just sealer, nothing more and the wood was either Alder or Ash (99% of the time) and the ash had old fashioned wood filler.

So, even if you take away all the changes in materials they're still very different. Vintage Fenders were't dipped in some thick material, that's nonsense and you can tell just by looking at them. The urethane didn't start until after the CBS years were in full effect.

Fender-guy likes this.
  4. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Here’s my stripped AO tele. Definitely pretty thin on the front and back as far as the poly but the sides had a lot more. Probably to fill in that end grain. Still no where near as thick as the AVRI reissues
    0EE2EE71-A6DB-4F9D-B499-E17D6B79D71E.jpeg AA26A0ED-BF39-4819-BF4B-ACD1A0A1FCED.jpeg 23FA1063-97D2-4732-824E-C04170CB033D.jpeg

5. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Ash undercoat will be noticeable and thicker than Alder if Alder even gets the undercoat, the Alder doesn't need so much fill. It's really the Ash where it makes a bigger difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.