AO 50's Tele vs Vintera 50's Modified Tele ...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FORQ, Jul 22, 2020.

1. FORQ

FORQ TDPRI Member

Perhaps somewhat of a silly question--given that I recently got and have liked the Vintera, and that responses to the question will be highly subjective--but thanks for humoring me...

Is the price difference between the Vintera 50's Modified Tele BSB ($1049 currently) and the AO 50's Tele ($1500-$1850) worth the differences in your experience and opinion?

The differences are:
    • neck profile (U-shape, AO; soft V-shape, Vintera)
    • finish (Nitro body, gloss neck on AO; poly body, satin neck on Vintera)
    • pickups ('52 pure vintage, AO; custom shop "twisted" and vintage, Vintera)
    • electronics (3-way switching, AO; 4-way switch and S1 phase button, Vintera)
    • Manufacture (USA, AO; MIM, Vintera)
    Ostensibly, the materials, craftsmanship, and quality would be better on the AO as I've heard it described as similar to custom shop guitars, but I'm sure "not quite". And of course the differences are not insignificant to feel, playability, sound, and look (vibe), but really by how much?

I'd love to hear your insights if you've played both, or upgraded from Vintera to AO, and your thoughts on the $500-$800 price difference. Thanks!

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

All I know is I like my made in USA teles a lot more than my mim and the mim’s I’ve played

I prefer the nitro finishes and it seems there’s generally a little more attention to detail

There’s nothing wrong with mim the USA models are just a pinch better to me and I have no problem paying for that difference

It’s either something that’s worth it to you or not

There’s a lot of factors that go into the pricing such as higher wages and the companies overhead/cost of operations

People always seem to think they are paying for wood and wire, it comes down to a lot more than that

3. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Whichever one plays and feels better in my hands.

FORQ and Fretting out like this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I think final QC and selected components and parts that work well with each other becomes apparent. And some things you can feel but not see.

Not to say you can't get perfection either way, it's just less accidental in some cases.

FORQ and Fretting out like this.
  5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The AO50 that I had owned was a U profile not a soft V. I only played one Vintera 50's tele and I liked the neck much better. It was a U reminiscent more of a Nocaster style with bigger shoulders than the A050. If it wasn't for the 7.25 radius I'd have been tempted.

FORQ likes this.
  6. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never played a Vintera, but I’m sure they are fine guitars. That said, I don’t regret a penny that I paid for my AO ‘50s.

FORQ likes this.
  7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

It's a bit apples and oranges since the AO is intended to be a traditional tele configuration whereas the Vintera is not. Craftsmanship and materials should be a bit better on the AO, but at least based on my Baja (which is 95% the same as the Vintera modified 50s) the quality is quite high. I think it's less about which is better as much as which has the features you prefer. Personally, I prefer some of the modified 50s features over the AO such as the 4 way switch, S1 phase switch, and the pickup configuration with the twisted tele neck PU. Of course all of these are 100% subjective, and if you prefer a more traditional tele, the AO may very well be an upgrade over the Vintera.

FORQ and StevesBoogie like this.
  8. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Well written post. There is a difference in fret size. The AO is listed as having 'vintage tall' and the Vintera Modified 50s is listed as having 'medium jumbo'. You might want to consider the difference if fret height is a concern for you. That's all I got! Looks like you documented the major differences.

I actually saw the specs of the Vintera Modified 50s (and generous price) AFTER purchasing a beautiful new AVRI 52 Tele in May and second-guessing myself! For me, the specs of the Vintera Modified 50s are fantastic for the $ that you pay and personally attractive to me. I like the 9.5 radius and the 4-way switching and the medium jumbo frets and the maple neck and the 3-saddle American Vintage bridge.

Don't get me wrong, I am in love with the AVRI and will never sell it but if I were to redo my Telecaster purchase all over again I would undoubtedly be going for the Vintera Modified 50s in Daphne Blue, especially at the $999 price for the Daphne Blue. No bout-a-doubt-it. Good luck to you.

FORQ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.