AO-43 to 18 watt build (slowly)

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jake Nelson, Nov 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Last summer a friend of mine’s folks moved from their home into a old folks apartment and they didn’t have room for an organ so i said i would take it. The friend plays guitar so i thought i’d make a amp out of it because he has never played a tube amp and it will stay in the family.

I had gutted it earlier and ordered a 18 watt tmb kit from Mojotone and today i started placement, found that the chassis is too narrow for a traditional 18 watt build so i moved the input jack to the back and cut at least a 1/4 inch off both sides of the turret board using a table saw. the board will be over the tube sockets a little bit still but it should be serviceable.

i set it up so the master volume is last because i plan on doing a post phase inverter master volume.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

I worked on some soldering yesterday and today. Got the board populated. I would say this is my second favorite part next to first fire up!
    Nice to have a cup of coffee nearby too.
    [​IMG]

3. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nice!

4. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

following.

i have an ao43amp, ao42preamp, reverb pan, 2-12"heppner speakers and connectors from a 65 hammond L112 that i still need to piece together

play music!

Jake Nelson likes this.
  5. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Moved some cows, ate some pie, soldered some heater wires. All in all a good turkey day.
    [​IMG]

6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

That's cool. I've had an AO-43 laying around for years. I think I decided it's one of those things I'm not going to do. But it's nice to see people are still getting some mileage out of it! I thought about how to try to rig it up without completely redoing the insides and as you seem to be proving, it's not quite possible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.