Anything worth seeing in Ceveland?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Northerntele, Jan 19, 2011.

1. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

You've already gotten a lot of great tips.

As far as the Rock Hall goes, I think you just have to see it for yourself. Some people dig it, others don't. I'm kind of lukewarm on it myself.

The Flats are dead. Don't bother. The warehouse district and East 4th are where it's at now. The house of blues is decent, but it is just another house of blues. A great local place to check out bands is the Beachland Ballroom in the Collinwood area (10 mins. from downtown on I-90).

If you like art, the Cleveland Museum of Art is a definite.

If you like animals, the Zoo is a must. They have enough indoor stuff between the Rainforest and Primate Cat and Aquatics bldgs. to go in bad weather. The northern trek animals (tigers, bears, etc) are out in the snow too.

If you have more specifics, types of food etc. let us know.

Just don't ask about good music stores, there are none (IMHO).

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All good stuff!

There are a couple of "kinda" cool music shops. On the West side, is Timeless guitars in Parma. Small, but very friendly owner, always ready to sit and talk guitars or amps, for as long as you want to hang out usually. Has a 50/50 mixture of good stuff and total junk, all used. I've found lots of cool freaky pieces there over the years, and do most of my major guitar purchasing there. The owner, Clyde, is always willing to wheel and deal, haggle, etc. and is great for straight trades.

On the East side, there's The Music Emporium at E. 185th and Windward. Tim Johnson is the owner. Helluva nice guy, and fun to talk with. This shop is probably my favorite. It's big for an indie shop, and has an interesting motif. Wall to wall crap. Piles of stuff everywhere. It looks like a tornado picked up three or four music stores, mixed everything up, and dropped it in a big pile inside Tim's building. I can spend an hour or more in there just digging through the piles to find cool stuff and never get bored. You never know what you're going to find, it's an adventure.

Not to mention, there is just a killer bar and pub culture here. I can send you to really cool spots if you're into that sort of thing.

3. BrassNut

BrassNut Tele-Meister

I was in Cleveland about 3 years ago on a remote installation with one of our techs and we had a great time. Enjoyed the RARHOF and just randomly walked around downtown.....stumbled into a couple of good restaurants and shot pool one evening at the House of Cues....the locals were super-friendly. One day we just got into a cab and asked the driver where the fun was......and he drove us to neighboring Willoughby.....found an awesome microbrewery (the name escapes me) and afterwards we wandered into a biker bar called "Skullys". Shot pool with the locals and the waitress proudly displayed her new breast implants for us. What's not to like?:lol:

4. Jakedog

That would probably be the Willoughby Brewing Company. Great stuff there. The beer I mean, I haven't seen the implants...

5. BrassNut

BrassNut Tele-Meister

Yep.....it was an old converted train-depot or something and the micro-brew beer was spectacular. Ditto on the implants.:eek:

6. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Maybe a lowercase "L"

7. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Cleveland Rocks!

8. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jakedog speaketh the truth. If I could make a decent buck at my chosen profession there, I'd go back in a heartbeat, despite the weather. A very cool town, likable for its minimum influx of cookie-cutter name brand stores and chain eateries. There's some, but many local businesses thrive. The last time I caught SRV was at one of Clevo's ornate converted movie theaters; a show I won't ever forget. They don't have places like that, anywhere, in FL.

I'm surprised to hear that the Flats is dead, again; bummer. It was hoppin' back in the mid-late 80s, when I last crawled around there regularly. Made going to Browns games most fun. I saw the Nighthawks and the Fab. T-Birds at Peabody's Down Under several times; some of my very very favorite live shows, ever, happened there. Also, the only times I saw The Ventures and Leslie West was at that joint. But; I digress...

Time flies...

As mentioned, there are awesome art and science museums. The Natural History museum on the Case Western Reserve campus is good, and right next door to it is one of those I.M. Pei designed stainless curvy buildings on the campus. See one up close w/o spending $$$ to go overseas to see one. The science museum next to the RRHOF is cool, best if you're talking kids... science museums tend to focus on grabbing kids' attention, and one entire floor is all kids hands on stuff. Science museums and aquariums tend to all look alike to me after awhile, but theirs a good one.

Go downtown and get a street vendor Polish Boy dog w/ Stadium Mustard, and grilled onions. Then take two Tums. Well worth it :D

9. Jakedog

The flats dies completely a few years ago. There are still a few clubs down there, and a couple of restaurants, but it's pretty much shady hip-hop clubs where people get shot. The Flatiron is still down there though, a great place to get a first class meal and pint. I'm playing there tomorrow night.

Peabody's is still around, but it's moved up into downtown, behind the Rascal House Pizza by CSU. It's not what it used to be. Nowadays pretty much strictly an all ages metal club. Yech. Nothing to see there, move along.

The science center is great, and situated in a very small area that houses it, the RARHOF, and the i-max theatre. A nifty little corner of dowtown that also has the GoodtimeII (party boat) a couple of big ships to tour, and a beautiful park area.

Fourth street is hopping big time. Lots of top shelf resaurants and cool clubs in and arounf that block. I'm playing there next weekend.

A Cleveland institution if one likes folkier, singer/songwriter type venues is the Barking Spider Tavern on the Case campus. It's been there for forever, and gets great acts from strange locals to known nationals, all in a little low ceilinged wood room with a cool old brass rail bar, a pot bellied wood stove for heat (and man does it get cookin' in there) and a great beer selection. Warning- It's a listening room, not a party palace. Rowdy or loud folks will be asked by the staff to tone it down and enjoy the music, or leave. I love the place, I'm playing there Sunday.

10. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

I'd definitely recommend Grandma Freda's(great cupcakes), Vera's Bakery and Crepes Deluxe at West Side Market. Saturdays are best for variety, but you have to go early.

11. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Jakedog, thanks for enlightening me on these. I've driven by the shop in Parma. It's not much to look at on the outside. I will definitely stop in the next time I'm near it. I've never heard of the Music Emporium. I will definitely check it out.

That's a Frank Gehry building, still uber cool! I. M. Pei did the rock hall. The whole university circle area is great with the art museum, natural history museum, little italy and coventry all nearby. And if you into it, the Lakeview Cemetery is actually very cool.

12. 8upSS

8upSS Tele-Holic

What the "L"?

13. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

The Christmas Story House is in Cleveland. It's a pretty happening tourist attraction from what I understand.

14. beach bob

Woops, sorry! I get my goofy modern architects mixed up frequently. Thanks for the correction ;)

15. cbass

cbass Banned

How about Ice fishing?I've always wanted to try that.Doesn't get cold enough around these parts.

16. beach bob

The GoodtimeII still floats? Geez, I went on that thing on a ?? grade school field trip once. Bought a rusted souvenir pen on board that didn't work; not that I'm still bitter or anything. :D

Peabody's = metal club? Sheesh is nothing sacred ... I suppose next yer gonna tell me the MSB and Wild Horses broke up :eek: :D

Thanks for the trips down memory lane. Sounds like a good weekend to catch you in Clevo! Wish I could be there; you're on my band bucket list ...

17. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

Been there, done that. Not for me. You really appreciate the fish at the end of the day but I ended up with a bit of frostbite on my left earlobe(Its fine now)

Thanks for the great suggestions everybody. As far as food goes I'm open to anything and I'll go anyplace that has good microbrews, or just good regular brews for that matter. :D

18. cbass

cbass Banned

19. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

It's close to Sandusky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.