Anything worth seeing in Ceveland?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Northerntele, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I'm heading to cleveland in a few weeks and just wanted to find out if there are any MUST SEE sights. I'm a bit of a foodie so Melt and the west side market are already on the list. I kind of want to do the R&R hall of fame but I've heard pretty mixed reviews about it and some downright terrible ones too.

So any tips from clevelanders?

2. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Nope.

3. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

I visited the Rock Hall in November specifically to see the Springsteen exhibit and his Esquire.

If that exhibit wasn't there, I would have been terribly bored and disappointed.

4. elin500

elin500 TDPRI Member

I used to live in Cleveland, I still think it's a heck of a town. Lots of folks say the downtown sucks, but there really is some stuff to do.

If you like food and drink, and will be down town (where the rock hall is). Check out Lola's, it's Iron Chef Michael Symon's restaurant. A bit showy but worth the experience for an out of towner. http://www.lolabistro.com/ Also check out Great Lakes Brewing company http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/. It's near west side market. It's some good microbrew. Recommend the Nosferatu if available.

If the weather is nice (good luck with that), walk around Public Square and look at the old school architecture in Cleveland. It's got some real classic buildings.

In terms of music, believe it or not check out what's playing at the House of Blues. There are some good acts there. Also see who's playing the Agora on Euclid St. It's a bit far out, but its this kickin old school theater. Lot's of history there but a bit out of the way.

The Rock Hall is spendy, but depending on the featured exhibit it's worth it. I went for the Clash exhibit. Really well done, and I'm a hard to please Clash geek.
    If you're a bit more adventurous and got a car, check out the Tremont area. Great restaurants (Typhoon & Lolitas are two places that come to mind) It's a bit off of downtown but got some really great local places. One of my faves was prosperity social club, nice place to grab a beer. Another good place to grab a brew and a chat is near Case Western University, it's called the Barking Spider Tavern. It has a really nice open mic nite, really inviting people.

Things to avoid; Sushi Rock (food sux and full of D**che bags) and the flats (dangerous and desolate).

Have fun!

5. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

It's been decades since I lived there. The Flats along the Cuyahoga river just west of downtown used to have a lot of clubs with decent bands. Try a Google search and I bet you will find some clubs that might be worth your while. Take your Anchorage jacket with you, it may come in real handy. :)

Nice scenic trip to go to Chagrin Falls just east of Cleveland. River Road is a nice drive. There is a Park near River Road and 422 with sledding and tobogganing.

6. HardlyDangerous

HardlyDangerous Tele-Holic

Unless its the food your going for
    NO

toured it for a week a few years back on Motorcycles. I was with other riders from the area and could not wait to get out. Sorry... no offence to the people from there but its a place I would never visit again.
    some great eats along the way though... Americans eat big...

7. Agave_Blue

Cleveland just isn't a "destination" city. Besides the RnR HoF and Jacobs Field (Indians), there just isn't a whole lot to do there.

It's not a tourist town. Nothing wrong with that.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Sokolowski's - try something different from what you've probably ever eaten.

Velvet Tango Room... from what I remember.. it was cool.

and
    find a place that has the local fried fish... like a little white fish... man... good eats! we found a little stand on the lake.... it was awesome...

9. Agave_Blue

Lake Perch? Or Walleye?

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

lake perch! YES! man, there were tons of those little stands... really good stuff...

I'm an idiot, I always enjoyed cleveland and would love to visit again... upper sandusky was kind of fun too..

11. Agave_Blue

We used to go down to the public dock in Sandusky (not Upper) and sit out there fishing for perch.

That was a long time ago.

12. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Depending on your interests, there are several good museums, particularly the Cleveland Museum of Art, which is free (www.clevelandart.org). The Crawford Auto Aviation Museum (http://www.wrhs.org/index.php/crawford) and Natural History Museum (http://www.cmnh.org) are nearby. They're all in the University Circle Area, which is east of downtown.

The Rock Hall is mixed, depending on any current exhibits, but it's something downtown. There's a Science Museum next to it, which has an IMAX theatre. Sadly, I've never been in there, although I drive by it almost daily.

There are a lot of restaurants and clubs around, so you should be able to find a decent band if you like. I don't know of any fish stands around downtown (it's also very cold by the lake in winter, and it may still be frozen when you get here). Also, nearly all the clubs in the Flats are closed down. The Warehouse District is the main entertainment section now.

If you really want to go for some fancy eating, there are Michael Symon's restaurants, the Lola and Lolita: (http://www.lolabistro.com/)

Also in University Circle, the Cleveland Orchestra is actually one of the world's best: (http://www.clevelandorchestra.com/)

Here are a couple of places to check out the music calenders:
    Downtown:
    http://www.fatfishblue.com/about.html
    http://www.houseofblues.com/specialevents/hobcleveland/events.php

University Circle:
    http://www.barkingspidertavern.com/ (Very hard to find, but low key and laid back with a lot of folk type bands; it's behind an Arabica coffee shop)

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When are you coming? And will you be here at night? Tons of cool music in town. All the time.

As for food, we have the iron chef Michael Simon's restaurants here, and they are FABULOUS.

Sokolowski's was a great suggestion as well.

I would also recommend the Dragonfly Lounge in the Ohio City neighborhood. If you like Sushi, they have one of the best chefs in the country. He's a damn genius, and a very fine musician too. Rock Hall is cool as heck, don't listen to the anti-hype.

Shoot me a PM, and we can talk about what you're into. Depending on the days/hours you'll be here, I may be able to get somebody to watch the kids so I can scoot out and show you around some.

If you're a beer guy, you have to hit the Great Lakes brewery.

14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry, this is flat out BS. I'm not a native Clevelander, and have seen most of the country's major cities. I'll take Cleveland over ALL of them. We have restaurants, museums, music, etc. on par everything that New York, Chicago, or LA have, with none of the traffic and much lower prices.

For crissakes, we have the best orchestra in the country. If it's flat out commercial tourism you want, come during the summer and hit the islands.

Not a tourist city? You're crazy. You can't find pretty much anything in any other major US city that you can't find here. And hotel rooms and trans are much cheaper to get to it all.

This city is amazing. Accept for the weather, it's far and away the coolest place I've ever lived.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I loved the R&R Hall of Fame. It's filled with great stuff. John Lennon's Sgt Pepper suit and Janis Joplin's car were highlights.

16. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

How about the birthplace of this guy?

[​IMG]

Is it still there somewhere?

17. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

I think I'm probably the only other person in the country that actually goes to Cleveland. Every winter a couple of us make a pilgrimage to www.raysmtb.com
    Other than ray's, which is dope, and the rock hall, which was a massive let down, I got nothing for ya. And food wise, I'm kinda shocked nobody has said go get yourself a sammich' at panini's. Everything including the kitchen sink between 2 slices of bread.

18. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

I love Cleveland. My wife and I go there every chance we get. The Cleveland Museum of Art is fantastic, and, as has been stated, they have the best symphony in the country. Then there's the Lakeview Cemetery, which is worth seeing - Google it, seriously.

19. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

Just wanted to chime in with a comment about Alice Cooper's Cooper'stown restaurant . . but when i asked Mr Google i found that it's now a Local Heroes for two years already . . how fast things can change. :cry:

20. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Lake Erie is a world class fishery. I'm an avid walleye fisherman in the spring/summer/fall and that's the main reason I hit the Cleveland area with regularity.

Cleveland has great museums, the Art Museum has been free as long as I can remember and the Natural History Museum is great. We often went to the Crawford Museum too as my pops was into restoring old cars. The Cleveland Zoo has a nice Rainforest exhibit which is nice for the winter months since it is indoors.

If you are into football, the Football Hall of Fame is 40 mins away in Canton. There's also a great science museum for kids in Canton too, the McKinley Museum adjacent to the Football HOF.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.