Anyone using Switchcraft 363 connectors?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SwampTwang, May 23, 2008.

1. SwampTwang

SwampTwang TDPRI Member

I was going to make some short George L's patch cables for linking my effects, but it seems like wasted money and cable when you can use something like the Switchcraft 363 1/4" male to 1/4" male coupler:

http://www.switchcraft.com/products/jack-142.html (item #8)

This seems like the shortest route for passing signal, it's shielded, and it's Switchcraft. I don't need an ultra compact setup, so 90-degree plugs aren't an issue. Plus, I only have 5 or 6 pedals of similar size, so I can put them all in one row. I want reliability and minimal signal degradation. Is there some downside here I'm not seeing?

2. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

I SAY DON't USE THEM!

I haven't used that particular model, but I have used similar ones, and I don't like them because even if all your pedals line up at the jacks, they still put stress on the pedal jacks. Those things are similar to clothes on a clothesline, you pull in a piece of clothes anywhere on the line, the whole line moves a bit. Same with the pedal jacks, you hook up a few pedals with that, step on 1, and you can sort of feel the others move a bit. I don't even want to get into the issues and problems you'll find if you try to use them with pedals that don't line up exactly at the jacks. Just use cords, as they will save wear and tear on your pedal jacks, and I could not notice any difference between these adaptors and 6 inch patch cords.

3. SwampTwang

SwampTwang TDPRI Member

Ah ha!

I hadn't thought of that. A very good point. I'll use patch cords.

But that prompts another question. Do I go ahead and buy some George L's cable and plugs, or can I get the same results (and save some bucks) by buying Switchcraft 226 right angle plugs and shielded cable? I would think that the Switchcraft setup would be more durable because the cable gets soldered to the plug. If I go this route, where do I find the appropriate type of cable?

Thanks again:)

4. Beerts

Beerts Tele-Meister

I'd buy the Switchcraft plugs and use a good guitar cord for the cable. you can get a lot of patch cords from a guitar cord. I use older ones that are going bad at the plug ends and just get rid of the bad part ( the ends usually are the only parts that go bad on my cords so I cut off a foot or two at each end and use the rest for projects like this)

5. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

+1 on what Beerts said. Just get good quality cable in bulk, switchcraft plugs, and a soldering iron, and you're set...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.