anyone using philosopher's rock?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by teleprompted, Nov 24, 2013.

1. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

Curious to hear thoughts on this comp from users. How does it compare to other optical comps with a lower price tag? I've never spent a lot of time with any compressor but am thinking of getting one as an always on type pedal to even out picking dynamics and will also probably use it as a boost. Are optical comps good for this sort of thing? It looks like a good quality pedal but im not sure about the lack of controls ie no attack knob. Also, I doubt I would use the grit feature but who knows it might be an awesome sounding overdrive. I have the pigtronix fat drive and like it a lot so I trust the quality of their stuff. All opinions welcome and other suggestions as well. Thanks all

2. teleprompted

No one?

3. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

I've been using one. Mostly in the 'grit'mode. I'm not really sure I'd recommend one though. It tends to be overly poppy for me at any setting when used by itself, and doesn't respond well to rolling off of the guitars tone unless you have another pedal on in front of it. It works for me because I use it mostly as a second dirt pedal for stacking.

Even though I don't have one myself, I'd suggest looking at the Barber Tone Press. Once I get around to upgrading from my dynacomp, that's where I'll start looking.

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Different beast, but I use a Philosopher's Tone and it sounds more like what you're looking for. Great comp. The real action is in the blend knob. It preserves your attack. I don't use the grit much, if at all.
    But it is a very good comp and with the blend function, very useful and versatile. I would compare it favorably with the Barber Tone Press.
    When I bought it, I did look at the Philosopher's Rock. The Tone was more versatile. You can find used ones for pretty good prices.

5. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Try one of these as well:

[​IMG]

The T-Rex Comp Nova. Worthy of your consideration, as it does beef up your sound, and allow for some dynamic expression at the same time.

6. teleprompted

Thx for the suggestions. Ill check those two out. Never had a t rex pedal although they seem like good quality. Funny a couple of you have mentioned the tone press and ive seen a lot of love on here for them. Will it also do what im after? Ie not so noticeable compression, low noise. Also, I think the TP has a blend function right or perhaps im thinking of another pedal

7. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.