1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone using pedals with a modeling amp?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Toadtele, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I have always ran my pedal board through a solid state amp set on clean. Usually a 15 watt Marshall or my old peavey.
    I was given a fender mustang iv a while back and now it’s my main amp. But I miss my pedals.

davidchagrin and Fendereedo like this.
  2. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

I have Wampler Paisley drive in front of my Helix.

Fendereedo and Toadtele like this.
  3. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Mustang III v2.

I use a Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive. Works great. Plus it adds a lot of tubelike feel back to the amp. Also have used a Big Muff.

They go into the front end like I did with my Fender tube amps.

Works fine. If you have pedals just plug them in. Maybe don’t set the level so high that it hard clips the digital input of the modelling amp.

getbent, Fendereedo and Toadtele like this.
  4. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

I run a small board through my Fender GT. Tweed setting for amp.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I use a variety of pedals with modeling amps but my amps don't have built-in effects, just amp and cabinet models. My usual amps are 4 different Hotone Nano Heads, a Hotone Binary Amp, Tech21 SansAmp GT2 and a tube preamp pedal. Pedals are usually a compressor, Rat clone, Big Muff clone or Klon Klone along with various modulation and delay/reverb pedals.

davidchagrin, Fendereedo and Toadtele like this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This is very small potatoes, but I like it:

I love my little Micro Cube for home use...

( and when gigs come back in a few weeks, I'm gonna patch it to a larger, clean amp, just for kicks, to hear what it does, louder)

...and I really like using the Cube's 'JC Clean' model as I think it sounds 'more Fender' than their BF Fender model.

But it is best used clean, so for a nice breakup I use either a Joyo Sweet Baby OD, or an MXR Classic Distortion ( modded), which is really more an OD.
    Both sound great with the Cube. So I toggle between Clean and a little nasty with these pedals.

Edit: I'll also be using digital Reverb with tube amp(s) that have Spring Reverb ( not tube driven), and the digital Reverb sounds better! So, whatever works!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    davidchagrin, Fendereedo and Toadtele like this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I used to run a small pedal board with my older modelers.... sometimes before the modeler, sometimes in the loop.
    This was because those modelers were still deficient in regards to flexibility and I needed more options.

I made the move to a Helix about 2 1/2 years ago and haven't touched a pedal since... & I don't miss them at all. I have simple needs for effects, and that might be the reason I feel this way. I can certainly understand those that still have their favorite pedals they feel a modeler still cannot replicate... but since the Helix I've just never had such a pedal ;)

8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

When I’m using the UAD amp sims, I have a SD-1 between my guitar and Apollo for a lead tone.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. rickslick11

rickslick11 TDPRI Member

Here is a great video on a board with pedals and modeling. This guy has some great content. I am doing the same thing with my HX Stomp and 3 or 4 drive pedals.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Just a wah pedal through my Champion 50xl, as the on board wah effect sucks... badly!

Toadtele and Djentleman Dan like this.
  11. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

I don't get why? You didn't say why you stopped using them.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I treat my Fender Champion 100 XL like it’s a 2-channel solid-state amp. Whether it’s on the default clean channel (Fender ‘65 Twin IIRC) or the more “modelly” channel, it takes pedals well and creates amp-like tones. I especially like what it does with an EQ or an overdrive in front.

DougM likes this.
  13. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

I've got a crybaby and an EQ pedal in front of a Super Champ x2 running a delay/reverb/OD setup I made on the dirty channel.

Toadtele likes this.
  14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Only if it's something the amp doesn't do. For example, it's much easier to use my Soul Food than to try to get my 1st gen Peavey Vypyr to do an authentic low-gain tube break up.

Otherwise no, not really.

Toadtele likes this.
  15. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Yamaha THR10C, Fender Mustang LT25, and Boss Katana Mini, and I use them all on clean settings with overdrive pedals, because that sounds better to me than using the dirt on the amps. I don't use any other pedals, because the only other effect I use much is delay, and the amps all have great sounding delay built in, and the LT25 and THR10C also have modulation and reverb on-board too, should I choose to use them.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.