1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone using P12N's Jensen, Weber or others?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Red Planet, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Been wanting to try out something in this area but too many versions this day and time. Was thinking about trying out the Weber Version with the British Cone or maybe others.

Back years ago I had a Vimtage Marshall 4x12 with two origional Jensens P12N's on top and two origional Greebacks on bottom and it was one good sounding cab. Thinking of trying this combination again in a 2x12 anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. soma5

soma5 Tele-Holic

It depends on the amp, so it's hard to say yea or nay. However, I have an original Jensen P12N, a reconed vintage P12N and a Weber 12A150. I have tried the original P12N and the Weber 12A150 in a Deluxe Reverb and I have to say that although they sound subtly different they are both magnificent and the differences could be the differences between two original Jensens. The reconed '61 P12N is in a Princeton Reverb where I like it very much. I have a number of great 12" speakers I've accumulated over the years and I swap around every now and then but the Weber has stayed in the DR for nearly a year. I don't have any information about mixing Alnico and ceramic magnet speakers, as I have never found the combination to sound as good to me as all Alnico magnet speakers in a 2x configuration.

3. Tremo

Tremo Banned

I have a reconed vintage P12N in my 64 BFDR. Sounds excellent. Way better tone than the V30 I had in there, not as loud as the V30, but much sweeter.

I've heard 2x12 cabs with weber 12A150s, and they sound fantastic.

4. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

I've used Jensen P12N in my Pro Reverb and they weren't bad until I got Ted Weber 12A150A with Light dope and they did it for me.

5. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

I use 2 Weber P12N's with my '62 Princeton, one in the amp and one in a cab. Man, they sound nice!

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Thanx Guys. I have a couple Ceramic Webers I like very much in a 2X12 Reinhardt Cab. I'm not sure wether to try a Weber or a Jensen but the Weber sounds interesting.

7. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

The Weber P12N's ain't cheap...I think I paid ~$173/ea for them. Choose wisely!

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Actually they are $175 Shipping will very depending on your location. I although I did get mine when Ted was having his 10% off Christmas Sale.

If 12A150A with Light Dope is also in the 57 Fender Lower Power Tweed Twin, so if you want to try it out then I would recommend contacting your authorize Fender Dealer to see if he/she has Tweed Twin in Stock and give it a test drive.

Might I ask Red Planet what kind of Amp are you using with these speakers.

9. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 10" Weber Vintage Chicago speaker, ceramic magnet with a paper former, and a 15 watt power handling upper limit.
    Sounds real nice through a modded 5 watt Epiphone Valve Junior amp, and a late 60's Decca guitar (with a pair of Teisco gold foil pickups).
    Got that vintage mojo down pat!

Steve

10. jjmantele

jjmantele Tele-Holic

I'm on my 3rd Weber P12N in my SFDR. They have all sounded great.

The 1st 2 developed "rubs." :rolleyes:

11. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Ya gotta remember that today's Jensen speakers are that in name only. No connection with the original Chicago company. If nothing else the repros do not have a paper voice coil and do have higher power handling capability than the originals.

I am a big fan of the originals. For decades, I used to haunt junk shops for old console radios just to get the speakers out of them.

Have a pair of reconed P12Q's in my '55 Twin. Ain't nuttin' quite like them. he RI Jensen P12N's I have heard seem to be a bit harsh on the treble side. But I do not have clue what out there today would nail the tone of the originals. If you were looking for a cermaic speaker I would recommend ya try Naylors but with regard to magnetic....

Good Luck with the hunt

12. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

12A150 in a 1x12" Allen Old Flame...

A terrific choice. Subtle and responsive.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

I was thinking of trying a combination of a P12N with a Greenback. Back years ago I had an old Marshall 4x12 that had two Grenbacks and two P12N's in it and it sounded amasing. I'd like to recapture that sound.

These days I'm playin smaller stuff and Plan on using a P12N and Greenback in a 2x12 Cab with my Andrews A-25 Intimadator Head through my Reinhardt 2x12 Cab. It has two Weber Cermaics in it now (a Greenback/65 75 Hz coned speaker and a Greenback/65 55 Hz Cone) probably start off with leaving the 55 Hz and pttuing the P12N in and see what that does.

The other Complicated thing is Weber has so many Versions. I can say this I like Bright. I was also thinking of trying his British Coned Version of this. Its the one with the B at the end. :?:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.