Anyone using Octave-Fuzz? If so, what for....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Jan 28, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Just wandering to what extent Ocatve-fuzz in general is used for what people are playing. I am wrestling with getting a sound I like and find usable - have kind of always felt that way about Octave-Fuzz but then someone like Gary Clark Jr. comes along and just destroys a song (in a good way) with it and I'm like, I gotta try this.

Some artist/songs I am aware of:

GCJ - Come Together
    KWS - Blue On Black solo
    Hendrix - Purple Haze (only in the solo?)

Anyone a big Octave-fuzz fan and using it much?

Fiesta Red, Catatafish and 4pickupguy like this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Oh yes! I was a nubile fuzz virgin until about two months ago. I have been really inspired by a Moollon British Octah (A killer Octavia made in Korea, I travel too much) and if I can stop traveling for work long enough to record something I will use it like this: I like to write a lot of instrumental fusion songs. Typically the melody in these songs tend to sound really good when done in unison with two instruments (harmonic coupling is a beautiful thing). There something very full and wonderfully complex about the whole glitchy Octavia thing. First, by itself it sounds enormous. There are overtones and weirdness for days on every note. A single low note sounds like a power chord. A high note sounds like a demon scream. Pair that with any other instrument like a sax or keyboard and it’s going to be epic. I can’t wait to get home and record! I am still trying to come to terms with the Fuzz Face type fuzz (I love the sound but haven’t concurred it yet) but the Octavia thing was instant. The fact that it only produces a octave effect up high is a huge advantage, because that’s were a melody line ‘needs the help’. Down low it’s huge. It works perfectly musically. A video I made while at home during Christmas.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've have one, a Vox Trike, and used on a few Twanger challenge tracks here, such as these two. I like to use it when I want a psychedelic or otherworldly effect, often in combination with a modulation effect like a chorus or flanger. It's also fun when I want to do some Jack White type stuff.

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite octave/fuzz is an old Foxx Tone Machine. Nothing sounds like it and it has a wide range of tones from warm and fuzzy to almost synth-like to your amp is about explode. I don't have it on my gigging board now - we don't do many songs that call for that kind of tone - but I do use it for recording when the person I'm working with wants that Hendrixy kind of tone, or the Keef tone from Satisfaction or something more whacked out.

5. Catatafish

Catatafish TDPRI Member

Don't forget Dazed and Confused! Unlikely that it was used for recording but sure does the trick simulating it.

6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Very nicely done - some great musical ideas in there. Did you do the backing track yourself or you got that from somewhere?

Funny you should mention Jack White... I have been listening to the latest Raconteurs album "Help Us Stranger" and its on the lighter side of Jack's kind of musical intensity, but it has Jack all over it. I am surprised I didn't mention him in the initial list, because that album is part of what got me thinking about Octave Fuzzes....again...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, I butchered a couple of sections from a Greg Koch tune called Foolish Mortals because he used an octave fuzz on it. Drums are EZ drummer the rest was axe murdered by me. The thing I keep hearing about fuzz pedals is you have to play to the pedal. It’s true, the pedal needs certain things from you to sound right.

8. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I have/use a fulltone Octafuzz. It takes a little work to get it singing right in a band setting. I use a SD-1 or a Tubescreamer behind it to help the EQ but I'm sure there are other ways.
    It's a total mess of a sound once you get it all dialed in.

bluesholyman likes this.
  9. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Earthquaker Devices Fuzz Master General for me. Killer pedal. I run it into a TS to round off some of the rough edges and you get the exploding octave up goodness.

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I have yet to get one, but when I do it will be the Wampler Fuzztration. It has one of the coolest sounding octa-fuzzes in my opinion.

And when I get it, I will play lots of Rival Sons riffs.

11. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Jimmy Page's solo on "Fool in the Rain" from "In Through The Out Door" is an MXR Blue Box - nasty, glitchy 2 octaves down blended with filthy fuzz. Also a favourite pedal of Rowland S. Howard along with his Distortion+ <3

Catatafish likes this.
  12. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I have the ZVex Octane 3. Tis a wicked mochine. I like to roll the volume back so the effect is subtle and then dig in on big jazz chords so it sounds like the end of the world. Also, roll the tone off and play above the 10th fret or so. Butter!

13. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.