Anyone using Glowforge or similar??

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Boreas, Mar 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Seems like a cool way to etch images and create custom pickguards or duplicating them.

https://glowforge.com/

PingGuo and northernguitar like this.
  2. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The price is high for what you get. The other lasers might look intimidating but you'll be getting a lot more machine for your money.

That said, they've got a great marketing campaign. And make it look very approachable.

But the reality is, if you're computer literate / enjoy learning, that you'll likely out grow the "user friendly" features very quickly.

You can get a much nicer machine from Boss for $1000 less than the glow forge pro https://www.bosslaser.com/boss-ls-1416.html (not affiliated but a friend owns that one).

Which one looks like it's built like an HP printer vs which one looks like a tool that's meant to be used for years?

Boreas likes this.
  3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Never tried it. Wondering if cheap guitar nuts will be made with these, one day.?

Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

Do you use a Boss, or any type of laser? If so, for what? I am not really shopping at this point, but considering doing some work like that in a couple years in retirement.

5. Boreas

That may be your first million dollars!!

Probably not. Ideally, each nut should be custom cut. You could use this for starter slots, but CNC or molded nuts (I think Tusq nuts are molded) are probably cheaper.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Those things print in bone? :)

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

They call it a printer. It is actually an etching/cutting laser. It doesn't build, it takes away material.

northernguitar likes this.
  8. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A local buddy of mine owns a Boss. I've been going down the CNC path (there's a lot of overlap but obviously they're also very different machines) but have been thinking about adding a laser to the mix. When I mentioned the glow forge he read me the riot act. He uses his professionally.

Boreas likes this.
  9. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Recently purchased a LaserPecker. Party due to the silly name, but also fancied having a super compact galvo laser. It’s neither powerful nor safe and you have to run it from a smart phone/tablet. In essence, it’s a toy. Fun but wouldn’t recommend as a productivity tool.

Have used Trotech lasers in the past at work and large 100w Chinese things at a couple of hack spaces. Great software makes the experience much nicer than having to muddle through with flakey unsupported stuff. But if willing to put a bit more time in and have a few practice runs, off brand laser cutters will save a lot of money - more than enough to buy a couple of spare guitars and amps.

A couple of other things to consider are the size of the things. Some are monsters, and you need a desk for a laptop/computer beside it, along with some sort of ventilation. And ventilation is the other thing to consider. Needs a decent draft going through it to clear all the smoke/debris out - and that should ideally be filtered and dumped outside. If rural and just zapping wood, then perhaps just vent outside. But for plastics and anything else with nasty fumes, good filtering is essential.

But yes, get a laser, they’re fun. Or use one at a hack space where they’re super inexpensive by the hour.

Boreas likes this.
  10. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Lasers are fun, but cutting needs lots of power. Also, there are lots of materials that are either not safe to cut or that require a ton of power to cut. I've got a very lightweight one that I use for marking templates, making signs, engraving leather straps or truss rod covers, etc.

Boreas likes this.
  11. itsmedant

itsmedant Tele-Meister

If you are a bit handy, you could build the MPCNC.

I started the build but haven’t had time to finish the wiring yet, but I have adapters to put a 3D print extruder, drag knife, sharpie or pen, or a laser (as well as c02). And it can be controlled with pretty much any CNC software out there.

you can do the full build to what ever size you want (mine is 2’x4’) for less than $500 if you already have a 3D printed.

Boreas likes this.
  12. itsmedant

itsmedant Tele-Meister

Here the link: https://www.v1engineering.com/

he just released a new version, the Primo. It stiffened up a lot of the spots that had slop and took a lot of the community’s input into the new design. It’s an open source project too I believe

Boreas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.