Anyone Using Behringer V-Ampire LX112?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by iluvchiclets, May 3, 2012.

1. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets Tele-Meister

I don't know why I feel embarrassed starting this post...

Many years ago I owned a Behringer amp called the Vintager 112, which had a 12AX7 (if I remember correctly) glowing under the control panel. This was a really fun amp on the drive setting - very nice root chord crunch sound, warm and not brittle. I kind of regretted selling it, but you know how it is trying out different gear here and there.

Recently I picked up an LX112 (60 watts mono) used for $100.00. I am so surprised how much I am liking this amplifier. It has a certain EQ and thump to the distortion and Marshall models, I find I am now always turning it on over the other amps I have. Granted, it's still a new toy for me, but it is satisfying a certain need I have when playing rock and roll "crunch" music.

It has a certain warmth to the drive that I don't find everywhere. Some amps and some manufacturers (COSM most notably to my ears) can feel stiff for some reason. This has the warmth and the bounce I like.

It has a really impressive set of in/outs for almost any playing or recording application. The amp modelling and FX can be disabled from the front panel so you can have a very clean amp if you desire to use a modeler pedal in front.

The negative things I can see right now are:

- The reverb models - too bright and a bit metallic sounding.
    - Not loud enough - its supposed to be 60 watts into a Jensen 12" speaker, but it seems very under powered. I plugged the analog-outs into my Spider IV 150 power amp and boy, it really opened the sound up.
    - The FX Send/return is pre-amp, so there is no hope adding a reverb pedal.
    - FX are pretty weak sounding. The only one I use regularly is tremelo and it's not too bad. Compressor is passable, but only at gentle settings.

Not sure if there is anyone else out there who likes this amp or not?

2. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

The Behringer V-ampire amps actually sound pretty good but have developed a reputation for questionable reliability. I personally have a Behringer GX110 Roc Pro which is a great recording amp, but not really dependable for stage.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

this sums up Behringer amps ... apparently, they sound ok when they do work, according to most owners ...

4. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets Tele-Meister

I understand,

That would really sour my experience if the amp suddenly stopped working.

I found in humorous that just after trying all sorts of pedals and different amp combinations, I plugged in the Behringer and thought, "Hey, that sounds pretty good."

I have to remember to be careful about dismissing an inexpensive amp or an adverse manufacturer.

5. tedcousens

tedcousens TDPRI Member

Just bought one for $50, great little amp for my office, practice amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.