Anyone using an iPad instead of paper charts at gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

How the heck am I going to look at good-looking ladies in the crowd and develop my cult of personality while looking at an iPad?

Seriously, though, I'll use the occasional chart, sometimes, but I prefer to know the tunes I'm playing. It just works better for me.

RoyBGood likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My aunt is professional violinist, graduated from Julliard, and now teaches and performs violin. She has a good knowledge of music theory,
    but can't improvise to save her life.....different skills are required for different jobs.

Musicians who specialize in baroque music have more opportunities to improvise...the charts are more rudimentary with the expectation
    that the performers would fill in the details.

Also there are some classical pieces which
    have a spot for the soloist to do a brief "improvised" solo. However, typically these are developed in advance and rehearsed many times and thus are not
    true improvisation. To play it safe most classical players will do something very close to previous renditions by other players.

The example that comes to mind is Mozart's Clarinet Concerto-- in my opinion its Adagio movement is one of the most beautiful pieces ever written for
    clarinet...or for anything. The cadenza for a solo is at 3:45 in this beautiful performance of the Adagio movement:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarinet_Concerto_(Mozart)

studio1087 and Wildcard_35 like this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I have both and use popular cloud accounts but pretty much never think of the Surface the way I do the iPad for music stuff. The Surface is really a general purpose computer with a tablet mode where the iPad is a purpose built tablet. The iPad weight, form factor and battery life plus some particular apps make it the go to for me.

This is not really putting the Surface down and really saying the whole package with iPad has been a favorite as a music making tool. In it's way the Surface is fantastic too.

4. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I use a Surface tablet attached to my mic stand. It works great for me. The Surface runs my backing tracks and/or scrolls my chords and lyrics (automatically or via footswitch).

I use the Live Looper app...search LiveLooperApp on YouTube for details. I am the developer of the app.

imwjl likes this.
  5. imwjl

It's worth noting you do get rather high performing and spec general purpose computer in the Surface. With that I cannot really complain about the batter life and weight differences.

GuitLoop likes this.
  6. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly. I'd prefer not to use it, but if I'm the only one providing backing in an acoustic gig I'd rather have the crutch than leave my singer hanging. We've learned 200 songs in the the past year and do requests whenever able - they all kind of blend together.

Don't need it for my five piece where I can fake it for a few seconds if I cramp, but when it's just me...

iPad, Otterbox case, K&M holder (only thing I've found that can accommodate the Otterbox) and SetList Maker app.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  7. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Recent convert here ....

Like most bands we've been in the habit of handing out sheets with lyrics/basic chord structures when any one of us brings along a new song. And, after 5+ years that's probably approaching 200 songs now. Of which there's a core 30-40 that get used but, especially at practice, the singer (who's clearly been trying it out on his own anyway!) will suddenly suggest re-visiting song x or y.

Regarding said singer .... he's used an iPad for about 3 years but, for some reason, just a couple of weeks ago it occurred to me that I can too .... durrr :rolleyes:

8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I just tend to learn the songs I’m going play.

Know your song well before you start singing.

cyclopean likes this.
  9. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

For me that works on my regular songs but my full song list is now over 100 songs so I use technology to help me through the ones I don't play often. Helps with handling requests from the audience.

10. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mine is maple

11. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Music stands, sheets, books, Ipads are just more crap to get in the way on stage.

12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Yeah. nothing more exciting than seeing someone fake iot through a tune at the local bar. If I don't know it by heart I would rather hear a jukebox.

cyclopean likes this.
  13. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

No. Some of us old timers like to actually learn our band's songs by heart. I take a lot of pride in being able to do that. I do use a tablet for practicing and rehearsals tho.

cyclopean, Jimmy Dean and radiocaster like this.
  14. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

So... this literally happened over the weekend.... My band uses paper and music stands - old school. The opening band for our act, the lead singer used an ipad for his lyrics etc. 1/2 way through their act, the ipad mysteriously fell out of it's little holder and landed face first onto concrete. The entire screen was completely destroyed. Hence - their show was over... and it was really embarassing for them, and we felt so bad for em. And yes... he had a protective case on it too... it just happened to fall "the right way". It also meant that our show was starting sooner than anticipated... so for us it was a scramble that otherwise wouldn't have happened. When we drop our paper music, we can simply pick it up and no worries ;) Just sayin'...

15. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I don't like to learn songs, because it's hard for me, so I'm very slow at it. And, I'm playing with 2 bands that do a lot of original material, so it's not possible to look up a youtube version to learn along with. An iPad gives me the ability to do a scratch recording of the songs at practice, and also to have charts at the gig, for when I inevitably forget something.

If you have a mic stand in front of you anyway, an ipad adds almost zero to the stuff that's between you and the audience. Except for other musicians, audiences really don't notice if you have a little rectangle attached to the mic stand that's already in front of you. They're already looking at a lot of equipment that's up there with you, and it blends in way better than a music stand with papers on it.

That said, if you depend on charts entirely, and never actually learn the songs to the best of your ability, you're asking for trouble. Even if there's no catastrophe, the chances that you'll lose your place, or mess up your playing or singing are much greater, regardless of your visual aids. The audience will notice that right away.

16. imwjl

Per those other messages, I've been using the Surface more and an iPad. Now you'll have me chasing after what AL alloys they use or if they both source the glass from Corning.

More seriously, a work project has me using the Surface a lot lately. It is far from the battery life my iPad has but does offer display resolution advantages in addition to being a general purpose computer. For my amateur use I'll probably keep taking the iPad for guitar time.

At work we babysit and feed a few dozen Android tablets and an easy 3x that of iPads but it has been a while since I used an Android tablet personally. One might have same issue we do at work where it's harder to get and re-order Android tablet peripherals because of so many more models.

GuitLoop likes this.
  17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My question is, how do you get files that are in Word files into OnSong without rewriting them? I have a lot of original songs.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  19. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

You can't just copy and paste?

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, like Guit says, I'd think you could just cut and paste.

Never heard of OnSong, but if you can't do that, what can you do with it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.