Anyone using an iPad instead of paper charts at gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

At a Dead show I worked at in 1970 they had cherry bombs wired to one of the kick drums so that they'd go off on certain beats. In a small theater full of tripped-out funseekers it was pretty persuasive.

But aside from ear damage, it didn't create any kind of hazard for the band members.

And that was a long time ago. I haven't seen it since.

So, thanks for the update. Sounds like I haven't missed much!

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto dat! Or for country or blues or folk.

slauson slim likes this.
  3. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

For those who say using charts or tablets is unprofessional, i say that you must have lots of time on your hands to be able to sit down and rehearse the songs over and over until your have them memorized.. I'm almost 63 years old with a family, I'm still working long hours at a stressful job, I own a house that requires continuous upkeep and my brain can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning. I come home from work, do some household chores and sometimes I don't even pick up my guitar for a few days even though one or two may be sitting out on stands. I do a lot of the singing in my band but I can't remember all the lyrics. I need to have something in front of me in case I forget. Call it a crutch if you want. I don't think the patrons really care if we use charts or not, they're there to listen to us and they all have a good time. No one has ever told us we look unprofessional with music stands. We are part time musicians and full time engineers, teachers, salesmen etc. Please don't look down on us.

As for what I use...still using charts but thinking of migrating to the android tablet that I'm currently using to type this post

985plowboy, Boil, ce24 and 1 other person like this.
  4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

we practice until we know our material. having music out on stage just makes it look like you don't care. the one time i had to make a cheat sheet for a song we'd just written that i hadn't memorized the arrangement of, i made a point of putting it on the ground so it would look like a set list. i was still kind of embarrassed to have to resort to that.

RoyBGood likes this.
  5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I would love to have time to practice until I knew the material. I just can't find the time. No one has ever said anything about our use of charts. Like I said, it's kind of a crutch. Some songs are memorized while others I need help with in case I forget words or chorns. We only play once a month because we don't want to play more than that and the venues where we play keep rebooking us because we bring people into their establishments. I am not embarrassed at all. People come, hear us and go home happy. Bar owner makes money, he's happy. I get paid, I'm happy.

AAT65 likes this.
  6. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

I use an old 9" nook, and Songbook, don't bother much with chords, except on some more complicated songs. Black background, enough battery life, don't use it for anything else. Backed up on my phone and Amazon pad. Just turned 77, memory definitely needs help. Still gig, duo with my son, but only once a month or so. Certainly not as obtrusive as a big songbook and music stand, and the pages don't flip in the wind outside.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you must use a chart then an iPad with a mic stand holder is probably the best option. I used to do it but I committed to memorizing our material and now I don’t use it anymore. I make our set lists and for some songs I’ll notate a few changes if I need a reminder. For a super new song I might make a cheat sheet but I try to get it memorized asap. Cheat sheets become a crutch that becomes hard to get rid of. The more you memorize the better you get at it.

9. ducati900

ducati900 TDPRI Member

well I still use the stone tablets,the roady gets his workout and is real fit.

AAT65, RoyBGood and slauson slim like this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Yes. There are accessories available to mount it to your mic stand & Donner sells a page up/down pedal that you can mount on your board to make things simple.

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The standard iPad (not Pro) with a 9.7" screen now lists for $329 which is a helluva value. It goes on sale at Target, Best Buy, Amazon, MacMall, BH Photo multiple times each year for $249. That's a small investment.

I don't gig but I usually have a chord chart on an it when I record and use it to store and stream my backing tracks.

I try to be as paperless as I can. I have tons of guitar related notes, charts, cheat sheets on my iPad using the Notes App.

studio1087 likes this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Couple bands I am in they use them. Mostly singers
    They type in the BPM/beat count and it auto scrolls to
    that speed during song.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

....and you don't have to worry about the battery.
    Yabba dabba dooooo

dlew919 likes this.
  14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm assuming that you've never seen an orchestra.

[​IMG]

AAT65 likes this.
  15. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

My wife is a professional singer, pianist, choral director, and music educator. We use sheet music for all of our choral performances because rehearsal time is limited. There are vocal parts that I have memorized, but only if I’ve had the chance to perform them twice or more. I have great memory for tunes and timing but lyrics don’t stick as well, so a prompt is invaluable. I’ve seen comments on the web from college music students saying that you’re cheating if you don’t memorize everything. I smile because their “job” is to spend hours each day perfecting performances. I get to travel and consult with owners of large boilers, sometimes climbing through them, so my musical avocation suffers.

My wife uses a tablet and has the page turning pedal, the holder for a stand, and various applications for which she’s developed a preference. I’m a slow learner with the guitar, but she’s thrilled when she hears me struggling through simple chord changes over and over, which I would imagine would be torture to anyone else. Perhaps some day I’ll develop proficiency with a guitar, but I doubt I’ll ever be without music in front of me when performing. As an audience member, I’ve never thought less of a performer who uses charts. If the performance is good, I’m all for whatever works.

ce24 likes this.
  16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Who cares what other musicians think... non musicians don’t care....audience wants well played music to dance to and that is all! if you don’t like my iPad on my mic stand....leave. This whole debate is just stupid. I think less of musicians that make these kinds of judgements...get over yourselves.

trahx, dlew919 and WireLine like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Whatever is least obtrusive.

Material orchestras play :

miles and miles and miles of lines and squiggly dots. Lotsa notes. Page after page after page after page ...

Average Lunkhead/Numbskull pop/rock song :

3-5 chords and “Moon/June/Spoon” lyrics...

Axegrinder77 and ricknbaker like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, he was younger, but a master class in lyric recall?

Bob Dylan.

Look at the early Newport footage and look at that recently released rolling thunder 1975 footage.

Nobody better at it.

You can tell he’s basically downloading the next chunk in the turnaround between the chorus and the next verse...

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm old. My brain short circuits. I just got an iPad to put my songs on. I'm not playing gigs where anyone cares. It beats my notebook with all the paper and clothespins keeping it from blowing in the wind.

Coop47 likes this.
  20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

yeah it looks pretentious. also i've known some classically trained musicians who can't memorize anything, can't figure anything out by ear, and didn't know what i was talking about when i said "we're in e, we're starting one the one", and then didn't know what an e chord was, and then didn't know what i was talking about when i said "first third fifth starts on e".

which is totally maladaptive to playing bluegrass or punk.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.