Anyone using an iPad instead of paper charts at gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, Aug 22, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've been thinking of getting a fold over, thin, touch screen, notebook instead. You can see full size page with that. Unless you are into scrolling while playing!

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

it just seems like a bad environment to bring a tablet into. it's likely to get stomped, hit by fireworks, or have beer spilled on it. plus it looks pretentious.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

They are fairly durable, and in fact many bars/restaurants (and other businesses) are replacing point-of-sale systems with ipads.

Regarding pretense, that may depend on your area, but using a iphone/ipad is no longer just for the highfalutin. Little kids even have them now!

4. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I don't like the idea. I mean it's alright for an orchestra or even a jazz band I think, but pop or rock it just doesn't look good imo. It used to bother me when our other guitarist kept his clip on tuner on his acoustic guitar headstock. Okay in practice, take it off when performing! So there, i'm uptight maybe.

DNestler, slauson slim and RoyBGood like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I scribble stuff down on paper, basic tab and chords for some songs to look back on if I haven't played them for a few months and leave it at home. I memorize everything I play. I would really struggle to play decently if I needed to sight read and lead would be impossible to duplicate by reading it. I don't even know the names of many of the chords I play.:)

Seems like more effort to read notation and perform than it is to just learn the songs and maintain them in your memory by regularly practising and playing them. I think it would take some super human skills to be able to sight read most songs and lead at proper tempo.
    I spent a year in a special music class in my late teens. Playing in a big band and they were reading proper music. I just faked it as I cant read music. Do people actually play intermediate to advanced level songs at speed by reading notation?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    slauson slim likes this.
  6. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

iPad? Charts? Grey matter works fine for me.

slauson slim likes this.
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

YES, IPADS with onsong app! We all have iPads, mine controls scrolling and switch to next song for all via irig blue turn Bluetooth pedal. We also have our own 5g wifi router for just the band.... Not connected to the web. Fantastic set up.

studio1087 likes this.
  8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i fix myself on the next 1 count

RoyBGood likes this.
  9. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

No charts. We used to do the bar gigs - four or five sets of covers - with a set list, no memory aids, not even keys on the set list. One was supposed to know their stuff. Same with the one set high energy originals bands.

Now at gigs there are music stands and what all between audiences and the bands. And players looking down. I have played with a rhythm guitar guy who was always behind because he was reading, never bothering to learn anything. I took his book away once.

Yes, I know Bruuuuuce and the Stones and many big touring bands have video monitors all over the stage that are not visible to the audience.

10. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I duct tape mine to the stage right next to my stompboxes.

*my iPad, that is*

RoyBGood likes this.
  11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I don’t want to start a back and forth argument (truly) but I’m not following this. I don’t get it.

An iPad costs less than my guitar. An iPad costs a small fraction of what our PA is worth. Why would you be worried about an iPad if you have a good guitar or amp or PA or lights in the same bar?

It looks pretentious? Why? Everyone has personal electronics. An iPad isn’t a status symbol. I see 5 year olds playing spelling games on them in restaurants while mom and dad try to eat. We all have personal electronics but not all of us have cool guitars or amps or microphones. Why focus on a pad as being the pretentious item?

Respectfully. I’m not getting you. :)

ce24 likes this.
  12. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

One of our guys uses one.

A few sound guys we've worked with run their systems with them.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Ugh. Neither!

In general, if I don't know it, I don't perform it.

Once in a while someone puts a more-than-four-chords song I don't know onto the song list. If I don't think I can fake it, I'll bring one sheet of paper that has the chords giant-size so I can see them without leaning over them.

But I don't like doing that. It says I'm not prepared.

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Fireworks?

15. graybeard65

graybeard65 TDPRI Member

I use an iPad pro, and a handy holder that mounts to my mic stand - it works really well. One of my favorite features is the transpose function, which is handy when the dreaded LSD strikes, and there's a key change on the fly.

It's been great for fill-in gigs too - put the song in, throw in a fast chord chart, and off to the races. I use a program called Songsheet Pro

16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I think the same. Please, LEARN your lyrics. For me voice is as important as music. I wouldn't play a song if I don't know all the notes I need to play and all the chords with the guitar. Same with the voice.

For me is ugly, a lack of respect to the public and looks unproffesional

Is a NO

Good for karaoke but no for a band

sntsvt, slauson slim and Axegrinder77 like this.
  17. cyclopean

you've never seen fireworks at a show? it's kind of dying down but i saw it all the time for a while.

Radspin likes this.
  18. cyclopean

because i play a jaguar into a musicman and both of them are built like tanks. neither of them have large glass screens. both of them are comparatively easy to repair if liquid gets spilled into them.

looking like you don't know the material is disrespectful to the audience.

19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I use two mic stands sort of nested together. One has my mic, my headphone mixer, and a drink tray on it. The other has my iPad positioned in front of me where I can see it. I call it "Two stands, one cup".

20. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Yes, we have used tech for sheet music but in my experience it's a love/hate thing. Bottom line - Paper doesn't fail, and pencils are easier to use for editing and notation without fail.... and there's no glare from glass etc. With tech gadgets any and all forms of chaos and gremlins are possible. Not the best thing to have to deal with on stage, or off... just my 2 cents ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.