Anyone using an iPad instead of paper charts at gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, Aug 22, 2019.

1. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

The band I'm in plays 30-40 gigs per year
    We are adding new tunes when we can
    I do not have all my music memorized.
    I use a music stand and paper charts in a folder.
    Bass player recently switched to using his iPad. It seems much easier, although I'm not sure I could see that screen well enough.

Anyone else doing this?

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Vocalists use it a lot . I’ll bring mine in case of a brain fart. I use the ultimate guitar app and can store chord charts or tab in set or song lists. It transposes and has scrolling so you don’t need a page turner

Skydog1010 and uriah1 like this.
  3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I've seen lots of guitarists do this.
    From what I have seen these days it is much more common than paper.

4. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Yup...great tool..

Use mine for assists with lyrics, chord charts, even to immediately access lyrics for requests.

I use Songfile Pro, but they all seem good.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep... got all our charts on iPad in case. No reason not too today if you cover lots of numbers.

Searchable on demand is nice for requests and depending on app, it can scroll in time and have tempo clicks and other useful stuff. My bandmates use the OnSong app.

I just have a PDF in iBooks with any simple notes I need. I use a simple notation with a large font but can zoom and scroll if needed. Lighting is not an issue either.

Plenty of holders to fit them on mic stands too these days.

6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

I switched a few years ago. I’m using the Songbook app, Onsong is also very good. My band mates sync their tablets to the same Dropbox folder so when I alter or post a chart, or put together a set list it all immediately shows up on their iPad as well. I use a mic stand holder so I can leave the music stand at home.

7. Steve-0-

Steve-0- TDPRI Member

I use this too. I find it dead easy to setup, use and read.

Cheers,

Steve

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I can't believe people still use paper charts. I've done a ton of jazz standard type gigs. I have like 4000 tunes on my Ipad. I bring the ipad and maybe a stand. It doesn't need a light. It's searchable and you can organize the tunes into set lists. Many of the tunes allow you to change keys on the fly.

Last night i had a gypsy jazz gig where I was playing bass and the guitarist wasn't comfortable with a tune in G. Voila! I pull out the ipad, call it up, change key and he's good to go.

It's a mystery to me why people stick with printed charts

ce24 likes this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Me too. The Open Mic/Jam I hosted covered a lot of ground so I have a dedicated tablet for that alone. It fits on my mic stand, is pretty much unobtrusive, plus my CRS kicks in at odd moments.
    I currently have 263 tunes on it. I use On Song and am quite happy with it. We had a guitar player make fun of me until a gust of wind blew his music stand over, dropping his book to the floor and scattering his paper charts

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Yes.

We have a google docs page (it’s free) and if you want the band to learn a song you chart it out such that it fits on an iPad screen, post it to google docs, when it’s learned such that we can gig it then it’s already stored on the sight.

You can do screen shots and save to a photo file in set list order. It’s easy. The mic stand iPad mounts are discreet. Our drummer has a mount in his drum set. He modifies his own notes for drumming.

I wouldn’t get on stage with sheet music or books but I think the pads are very discreet. See ‘em?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I look constipated.
    [​IMG]

11. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

WARNING: I am not about to make a logical argument.

So far, I have resisted charts and Pads. I like having to use my head... it's (was) less likely to go wrong.

The ONE time I used charts, it went wrong. I was a last minute replacement with no time for rehearsal. Yep, sudden gust of wind threw my chart off the stand (clearly I should have secured it better - mea culpa). The upside was that I was playing bass at the time, and people commented they realised I had been playing only when I stopped to pick up the chart. I saw that as a compliment to counter-balance my embarrassment. :-D

In my cognitively advantaged youth, I used to busk (guitar and voice) for three hours with no repetition and just a list of titles as prompts. Sadly, I couldn't pull that off today.

But yes, Pads are clearly convenient; they have more potential; and they are probably less likely to go wrong than paper charts. Still... I'll do my best to avoid them for as long as I can.

12. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

I don't use an I-pad - I use an android tablet. I find they have a better tone.:D

imwjl, DonM, Skydog1010 and 6 others like this.
  13. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Avoid tablets when you can.
    If you must, use an app that reverses black & white so that the tablet is not shining up at you.

Daniel

14. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I must be an Android in an Apple world. I use a Samsung tablet with Setlist Helper. It has scroll function, could be foot controlled and it beats any type of paper. Mostly to keep sets in order but I occasionally need a little lyrical help. The only problem is a hot sunny day, one of the singers has an I pad and the heat will shut it down and can be hard to see. I also carry a portable power source just in case. And, I also have the app on my phone if I ever needed it.

danfalck and Skydog1010 like this.
  15. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I do. It looks more subtle than a book, you can see it in the dark, ad you can carry everything. Just make sure it’s charged or you have power to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marc Morfei likes this.
  16. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

I tried it with my iPad but it's a little too small on the screen. It makes it hard for me to read the score. Maybe I need a 8X11 iPand instead of a 6X9.

985plowboy likes this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I have been doing this since 2010 when the first iPad came out...still using the same one!

I maintain my master list of songs in Powerpoint...about 300 songs. Each slide is one song. Some have lyrics, some have chord changes, hooks, performance notes, annotations, arrows, circles, etc...just depends on the song. I use a black background and white text.

When a gig comes around I make a copy of the master list and rename it 'Set list - July 4, 2015.pptx'. Then I reorder the slides as appropriate for the gig. I save it. Then I save it again, this time as a pdf. I email the pdf to myself. This is all done on a computer up to this point.

Then I fire up the ipad, open the email I just sent, and download the attached pdf in iBooks (free ereader...I think it came installed on the iPad).

At the gig, I access the songs sheets as needed using iBooks on the iPad. I flip through them in order, but if a song request comes up I can search all 300 by keywords like "Mustang" or "Sally" and go right to that result.

I have a separate stand for the iPad...basically a mic stand without a gooseneck or boom attached. I can easily move it to the side when not using it. I prefer to not have the iPad attached to the same stand as my microphone.

Some screenshots of what my slides look like are attached here. These are low resolution attachments; they are much larger, high resolution, and easily readable on the actual iPad.

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG

Rustbucket, studio1087 and DADGAD like this.
  18. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Only refer to it once in a while. But it's much more discreet than flipping through pages in a binder, which was the old way. And it is self-illuminated, so you can see it in the dark. I just store PDF files on it for each song, but one day I might get one of the apps that other people use.

19. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I play in a big band, and we have over 400 charts. While I hate music stands for combos, charts and stands are customary for big bands.

Because I didn't want to spend $700 or $800 for an iPad Pro, I bought a used Dell Inspiron for $200 with solid state drive and a 15-inch, touch-sensitive screen that allows the keyboard to lay flat against it. It is about the same size as the folder that I use for gigs, with only the songs on the setlist for the gig. I always have power nearby for my amp, so I can plug my charger in, also, to avoid battery interruptions.

I have three iPads of different generations, and I like their reliability and battery life. This Dell feels pretty flimsy, but a large enough display in an iPad would have cost $700 or $800. The Microsoft Surface, with a detachable keyboard, would be a good option, but is also expensive.

Our band's librarian gave me a Dropbox link to all the guitar parts, which I downloaded into my Dropbox account. I have sometimes had problems with Dropbox losing the files that I have downloaded for offline use. I can use my iPhone for an internet connection, if I get in a jam and need to download something to my Dell.

For most songs, the charts are either one or two pages, so turning isn't problem.

I just started this system and haven't yet explored the options for annotations.

20. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Yes, iPad pro with large screen, gigbook is the app I use. I rarely look at it, but nice to have when a distraction or brain fart occurs.

ce24 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.