Anyone using an aby pedal to run 2 amps simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 13, 2019.

1. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Just wondering if anyone does this. I was thinking of buying one to run two at a time to try and get a thicker heavier sound thing going on.

Pasta Player likes this.
  2. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

On the rare occasions that I've run two amps simultaneously, I just used the 2nd output on my Boss CE-5. Not as versatile as an ABY, but worked fine for both on all the time.
    And two amps together does sound good!

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have done it. I found two amps just a PITA at the gig though. One common problem is noise due to the amps not playing together in a friendly manner! There are combiners that make this easier to solve.

4. Cheap guitar guy

Yes I have heard from people that noise can be a problem. One reason why I posted this and to get an idea of if it sounds really good before I blow a bunch of bread on a pedal. I hear Morley makes a good one?

5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

The Radial Tonebone Switcbone is ideal for this sorta thing -

upload_2019-5-13_13-17-22.png

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

These days you can pay $500 for an ABY that solves all your problems, and if you've committed to a dual amp rig but use it all over the place you might need an active transformer isolated polarity flipping buffered silent FET switched Swedish masterpiece.

I generally make them up from three jacks and a box with maybe a foot switch thrown in if I feel a need to turn them on and off.
    Also use a stereo fx pedal, which usually has a buffer to preserve the split signal strength, even with the effect off.

If your two amps or one of them is vintage you might find them out of phase with each other, in which case you want to reverse the speaker wires on the vintage amp so both push the speakers forward at the top of the sine wave, AKA at the same time.
    Only certain vintage amps are out of phase with the standard of today, so new amps are probably in phase.

I used to ground lift one of the amps to eliminate ground loops, also at no cost, but a $500 pedal will do that at the flip of a switch.

7. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not gigging with it, but run a DRRI and an AC 15 thru a Morley with excellent sound. One usually dry and one crunchier.

8. Cheap guitar guy

I'm not gigging. Just my own basement playing trying to sound like iommi.

9. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

If you want a thicker, bigger sound, skip the ABY and get a TC Electronic Mimiq doubler pedal. It has adjustable algorithmic goodness to take your original signal and apply various offsets that create a convincing double-tracked effect. You can adjust the tracking tighter or looser to your liking.

dswo and Tuneup like this.
  10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I used a Morley A/B/Y initially, but it made way too much noise. I went to a Radial pedal and that did the trick. No noise and the amps worked great together.

stratoman1 likes this.
  11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I use the Radial Bigshot feeding my dry (drive) effects to a Blues Deluxe and my ambient effects to a Marshall Origin 50. The pedal has the isolation and phase reversal switches necessary to run both amplifiers with no noise and a BIG sound.

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Morley AB Y. It's a good switcher, but that's all it is.. switches. For noise reduction etc a Tonebone, Radial type of pedal with ground lift etc is trouble free.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Look up the youtube video of Phil X at Andertons. About half way through the first of the two part series with him he talks about his two amp rig and the switching pedal. Including ground lifts and driver phasing.

There is a video by Breja Toneworks on building an ABY pedal for under $25 or something.

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

A fellow named Chris Van Sickle lived in the Atlanta area and used to post here, I don't know if he still does. He made a peddle called the Peddle Junction that was good and reasonably priced.

Edit: He is still around occasionally.

http://www.tdpri.com/members/cvansickle.8424/

You will probably get more info posting this in the pedal forum.

15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Radial Bigshot here as well, mostly for switching but occasionally to just crank the bejeezus out of my Supro and the Carvin stack at the same time.

16. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

If all you want to do is run two amps at the same time to broaden your sound, and your amp has a line out (as does my Roland Blues Cube Artist), you can run a cable from the line out to your second amp's input. I've done this in the past and it works quite well for outdoor gigs. It's preferable to use a clean, solid state amp for the second amp since it will replicate your master amp's tone (overdrive and all). I should note that the line out on the Blues Cube does not defeat the speaker, and you can adjust the master amp's volume to match the second amp's volume to taste.

By the way, I normally use this arrangement in a different way with my gigging band. Specifically the amp's line out is run to a DI box and then to the PA, so it gets mixed in the mains and in-ear monitors. I then adjust the amp's master volume to add just enough level so I effectively have a secondary monitor of my guitar on stage (note that the master volume does not affect the line out signal). Works well for me!

17. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Fender ABY pedal, plugged everything in and it sounded like sh*t.

Ground polarity something or other. I gave up. Another useless piece to throw on the pile of discarded wanna-be rockstar ideas.

On the other hand, having a pedal that pre-solves these issues is intriguing.

18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Me. I use the radial which is great. I set one amp darker and dirtier, the other cleaner and brighter. Together is a luxurious big old tone.

brbadg and Digital Larry like this.
  19. Cheap guitar guy

The radial or the mimiq sound like good options. No line out on my amps so that's out. And I did get the impression from reviews that the Fender pedal was no bueno.

20. Pasta Player

Pasta Player TDPRI Member

Oh how I’d love to have a Lehle ABY Switcher (pricey).

Begin laughter now…

I just joined a Pignose and Dwarf* (portable solid state amps) with a new Donner - ABY Box (about $30.00) and had a complete blast. Haven’t tried it with the “Bigger-Boy” amps yet… but the little “test” here was much fun with great results!

$30.00 to give it a whirl?

*Probably illegal in some states.:lol:

puddin and Digital Larry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.