Anyone using a Yamaha THRII (need some tele sounds!)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MrDavey2Shoes, Jul 30, 2021.

1. MrDavey2Shoes

MrDavey2Shoes TDPRI Member

Hi Everyone,
    Recently bought a 50s road worn Vintera after playing what felt like 1.5 billion different Teles over this summer. I fell in love with it through a Fender Reverb. It just felt right. Really loved the low notes coming through it, so warm and juicy with a nice Tele Thwack.

Anyway at home my only amp is a Yamaha THRII and I can't seem to find the right tones for my tele on it. Works great with my Les Paul and my Eastman T386 but I cant seem to get the right warmth or presense out of it on my Tele. Seems to always sound super digital, opposed to my Eastman where the semi hollow guitar just seems to add "room" to the sound. Additionally, I can't seem to drive the amp as hard with the gain function, I almost need to be in lead or higher distorted modes. Basically, If anyone is using this amp pleeeeeaaassseeeee share your settings with me!

Thanks
    Dave

2. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I had a THRC, the only tones that I liked from it were the BF Deluxe Reverb clean tones.

Very nice-lush clean tones in the DR setting but I really did not care for any other settings. Sold it pretty quickly.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  3. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Warmth is not a word I would use to describe a traditional Tele sound, not at all. Twang, brilliance, bright, chime, mid-high emphasis, etc, would better describe it IMO.

I don't own a THR II so I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

4. MrDavey2Shoes

Yea you're right, lets just substitute "warmth" for "pleasing" lol

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, that was my experience with the THR too. I really wanted to like that amp. I liked the clean setting. But not the others. I thought the gain settings were too gainy and compressed. It was hard to find a light crunch that sounded good. I sold it and bought a Fender Mustang LT25 which I like much better (and was half the price). But my sense is most people would disagree.

6. TeleT97

TeleT97 TDPRI Member

Hey there, I assume you're using the clean channel? I've found that channel to pretty bright and you've got a couple options:

The crunch channel is a lot darker and it compliments my tele, but not exactly those Fender cleans you might be looking for. If you haven't downloaded the app I'd really recommend it as it provides a lot more tone shaping options. You might have luck trying out different cabs or trying out the the models on the Boutique and Modern settings. The app also lets you set up a compressor that gets you a little closer to that nice tube compression. It's also worth exploring the factory presets.

I'd also recommend checking out this info doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iCpzMCJel5KrscVNGrGS9esj6IM7rgZo2pEAmYHrj48/edit?usp=sharing. It was put together by an engineer on the THR team and is a great resource for getting the most out of the amp!

7. MrDavey2Shoes

Oh this Doc is awesome!

TeleT97 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.