Anyone using a Gallien-Krueger 250ML as desktop amplifier?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DSCB57, May 24, 2020.

1. DSCB57

DSCB57 NEW MEMBER!

I am currently trying to make up my mind between the Yamaha THR old or new series of desktop practice amplifiers and the (for me) cheaper and possibly much better alternative of using a GK 250ML (around 250€ used here in the EU).
    Although power is not a priority for me, the GK’s 100w of stereo power makes it capable of gigging, compared with the top of the range THR30w, and only 10 or 20w on other models.
    The GK also has its own FX loop, as well as a stereo Aux in (but no separate volume control).
    What I don’t know is how the GK compares with the THRs when used with modelling software at practice levels? I know that is where the THRs excel, and this is an important consideration for me.

My second question is about the stereo separation from one channel to another - how well defined is this in the GK compared to the THRs?
    Finally, I also have a question about the 6.5” Pyle speakers fitted to the GK 250ML. Since at this age the speakers will most likely need to be replaced, would it be worthwhile replacing them with full range speakers, and if so, what would you recommend? I assume that both the GK and Yamaha speakers are guitar voiced speakers?

2. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

One of my roommates in college who was quite wealthy got a new 250 ml in 1988(?). I've always said I'd jump on one if the price was right. Low volumes may be an issue as his always seemed like a racehorse in the chute.

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've seen a GK 250ML used as a monitor on an amp repairmans workbench. Must be a pretty good reference system.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I doubt you could get good stereo separation with that, you'd need to plug in external speakers.

5. dimenjj

dimenjj Tele-Meister

Years ago I played with a trio (hammond B3, Drums & Guitar). We had a booking agent that would send us everywhere. There were times we played in places that were so small we were right on top of each other. I carried a GK 250ML with me for such scenarios. I would set it on top of the Leslie cabinet. It was a great little amp.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I haven't played through one in years, but I thought they were awesome, although quite expensive, back in the day. Here in the US they seem to be very thin on the ground, and finding one is rare.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.