Anyone Using A Fender Mustang Floor in Church?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by FenderGuy53, Nov 9, 2012.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I am very pleased with my newly acquired 2011 Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline and how it performs in the context of our Praise & Worship band.

We don't use amps in church; all instruments plug into DI boxes which go straight to the mixer.

I currently use a Line 6 Floor POD Plus, but I am considering a move to a Fender Mustang Floor unit. I want a more WYSIWYG setup, with better modeling. The Line 6 Floor POD Plus sounds okay, but it is NOT a WYSIWYG setup.

Is anyone using a Fender Mustnag Floor in church? How do you like it?

Thanks, guys.

2. Foltzwagon

Foltzwagon NEW MEMBER!

Hey Fender Guy,

I play in church every Sunday and just recently got the Mustang Floor. I normally run through my amps effects return using the amp basically as a power amp bypassing the preamp. I do use it running direct from time to time and always use it direct at home for practice or recording. I've owned many different multieffects units and for running direct this is by far the best. I've tried a lot of different ones including, Boss Gt10, Line6 HD500, Digitech iPB10, and some others not worth mentioning. The Digitech's amp models were horrible but it did have great reverbs and pretty good modulations. The HD500's amp models were ok but not what it's hyped up to be. It had way to much highend fizz like previous Line6 processors but an improvement from previous ones. It did have pretty good effects otherwise. The Boss GT10 has great effects but weak amp models with the typical highend fizz that seems to plague most units out ther. Then comes the Mustang Floor. The effects are ok on the Mustang but not great but where the unit shines is with it's amp modeling. Fender seems to have accually listened to the sound being put out of the unit and tweaked it to sound like a real miked amp. You can accomplish nice warm amp sounds without eqing out that horrible fizz, which is good because there is no extra eqing available on the unit other than a high and low in the utilities which can help when eqing to different systems. What really impressed me was that I could set up patches at home through my studio monitors and then go to church and plug it in to my amp and change the output type in the utilities and have it sound pretty much the same which I could never do with the other units mentioned earlier. Patch changes are fast and smooth and programming is a breeze with or without the Fuse software. Just a tip, to get the sounds that I like I used differerent speaker cab simulatons with the amp models than the ones that match the original amps. A little experimenting goes a long way. If you haven't already upgraded I hope this helps.

3. chicknpikr

chicknpikr Tele-Meister

no but use a mustang4 amp and just recorded a double cd set using it also...will post a clip off the cd here later

4. DG_Griffin

DG_Griffin TDPRI Member

Yep, love my mustang floor, sounds great through the pa

HigherCalling.BandPage.com

5. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

I have an HD500 but have played through an RP1000 and GT-10 and recently traded in the GT-10 and bought a Mustang Floor unit for $169 with the cash I got from selling it and had a little left over. I have to say the amp sims are much better on the Mustang Floor (MF here on out) than the GT-10 and RP1000; it's just that those units have more OD / Dist and modulation effects. But saying that I find the MF to be a very usable mfx unit with very nice amp sims that rival the HD500s. The MF also very nice reverbs, delays, trems (better than the other units IMO), vibratone, and modulation effects and a good overdrive (sounds similar to a tubescreamer) and the first useable compressors that i have found on an mfx unit that sound like an actual stompbox. I have tested and tweaked it in a live environment (church) through a tube amp both in the loop and in front and it sounds very convincing (realistic). If you turn your back and compare it to the real thing you will have a very hard time telling the difference. The layout is also very intuitive and stage friendly and the display will be no problem for most people but you might want to use the large text (shows name of patch only) for live use. I like the stomp pedal type layout for each effect; just kick whatever effect you want on or off.

Though not quite as nice as the HD500 I would say a professional musician could gig with it no problem and get very good tones. For the money it can't be beat. It's shortcomings - probably needs more overdrives and distortion and multiplier delay settings, the reverse delay could use a little tine tuning, there are are a few effects that lower the volume that need a gain or volume control to raise the volume though you can work around this by using a compressor to level it out. The good news is the unit can be upgraded through USB and I can see them fixing this and/or adding effects in the future. Even with it's shortcomings (which is nitpicking on my part) I find it to be an excellent value for the money.

6. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If an effect lowers the volume on a preset you are making, simply edit it, increase the volume and save it and your preset will be the level you want it. I highly recommend installing Fender FUSE software on you computer and editing your presets with it. My nitpicks with it was no quarter note tap to get dotted eighth echos, but lo and behold I discovered that one of the Multitap Delay settings does just that. It isn't perfect but it will work for the CCM stuff I have to do. I love my Floor and I think I'm going to sell off a bunch of pedals - again!

7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

As you can see in my sig, I bought a Fender Mustang Floor.

I agree with most of what was posted; that is, that the amp sims are amazing, that there's a lot of easy tweakability available within each preset, and within each part of the preset (amp, stomp, mod, delay and reverb), and that the effects, while limited in number, are amazingly musical and useful.

I also love the Floor's design. All of the switches (and pedal) are within easy reach and very logically placed on the board, which has a very small footprint, when compared to other MFX units.

I currently use two, 5 preset rows, which consist of 3 rhythm sounds and 2 lead sounds.

My 3 rhythm sounds for the first row are CLEAN versions of: Fender Twin, Fender Deluxe and Fender Bassman. My 2 lead sounds are Liquid Solo, and either Fusion Lead or Down Laid.

My 3 rhythm sounds for the second row are CRUNCH versions of: Fender Twin, Fender Deluxe and Fender Bassman. My 2 lead sounds are Liquid Solo, and either Fusion Lead or Down Laid.

For the above setup, I was able to use stock pre-sets, very slightly tweaked, which got me up and running quickly.

I LOVE my Mustang Floor.

8. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

FG53-thanks for putting your setting suggestions up. I will be using mine in a worship setting as well, so I took your setup and applied it to my MF. Seems like plenty of tone options at hand. I have all models set w the compressor, a delay, chorus and reverb set to off, and will be inserting a Boss Super OD pedal. Look forward to using it.

9. Phylian

Phylian TDPRI Member

I actually use a mustang I (All you II and III guys looking down on me) quite often at my church and I really like the sound. I tend to switch between the Bassman and the super. Usually I keep it right at the breaking point on the gain and the only onboard effect I use is the reverb. All my other effects I use my pedals for. I'm really happy with it. It allows my to get a good sound while playing at a lower volume (with a mic) to lower the volume on stage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.