1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone using 15" Heppner alnico organ pulls?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Michael A., Feb 19, 2018.

1. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I found a pair of these offered online only a block from my home, so I grabbed them for a good price. Does anyone recognize this model, and how would one sound as a guitar speaker on its own? They read 4.8 ohms, which apparently indicates they are 8 ohm speakers.

What should I expect driving one with my 5W 8 ohm Muchxs Champ? I assume I need to keep the power down due to their 50 year age.

What should minimum cabinet size be?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  2. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

You already bought them so just try it out. I have a 12 Heppner from a movie projector and it sounds great with the amp from the projector.

3. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Should sound awesome. Just find a used 15" cab. Amp only 5 watts, so crank it, speaker should take thar easily. If not, you'll have fun blowing it, p!us you'll have another.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I've not had a 15" Heppner. Those have small magnets and smooth cones so I would expect them to be pretty ratty sounding/early breakup. I have had a 12 and a *" Heppner. The 8 had a pretty big magnet. It was pretty warm on the high end but a good sounding speaker.

5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I had a pair of 12s and found them to sound terrible. I had them re-coned with different cones and they still sounded terrible. An expensive failed experiment.

6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of Rola 12’s and 15’s from an old Hammond tone cab. Put a 12” in a home made cab and it sounds stupid good with my Muchxs 5f1!!

7. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

If they both read 4.8 ohms, I would run them in series with that 8 ohm amp and go to town!

Owenmoney and Michael A. like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If they both read 4.8 ohms, they are likely 8 ohm speakers. The impedance reading is an AC measure. Reading with a DMM set to DC will give a lower reading. If you run them in series effectively you will.have 16 ohms. Parallel should read 2-3 ohms DC, which is 4 ohms' impedance. If you only have an 8 ohm output I'd run them singly. If one has a ribbed cone that is the full range. The other is a 'bass' speaker. They didn't really run these with crossovers but the cone difference would give a different response. Try each of them, would have probably originally been a Deluxe type power amp driving them at 10-15 watts likely.

9. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

So I should build a cabinet the size of a refrigerator!

10. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

I’d either build two compact 1x15’s or try to find an old Peavey 2x15 cab. Nominally, these are 8 ohm speakers but the resistance is low and running them in series won’t hurt your amp. It will result in just a little less overall volume which may not be a bad thing?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.