Anyone used Sweetwater Gear Exchange?

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
It looks like the oldest listings are 5 months ago, so I'm assuming that's how long it's been around. Currently 2,355 guitars are listed, among many other items.

I don't see a 'sold' filter so you can see what items actually sold for.

Any pros/cons in your experience? I'm looking to start selling a number of items and need to make the call between this or Reverb. I've read (for what that's worth) multiple comments over the past months that Reverb has gotten worse, and in one area consistently; supporting the seller when issues arise.

Maybe with this being new it will get a lot of love, oversight and support by Sweetwater for awhile. Probably a ton less eyes on it though from potential customers, compared to Reverb.

I gave up on the scam-fest that is eBay long ago.

If you have any other suggestion s for a vehicle to use to sell music gear let me know.

gear exchange.JPG

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
It looks like the oldest listings are 5 months ago, so I'm assuming that's how long it's been around. Currently 2,355 guitars are listed, among many other items.

I don't see a 'sold' filter so you can see what items actually sold for.

Any pros/cons in your experience? I'm looking to start selling a number of items and need to make the call between this or Reverb. I've read (for what that's worth) multiple comments over the past months that Reverb has gotten worse, and in one area consistently; supporting the seller when issues arise.

Maybe with this being new it will get a lot of love, oversight and support by Sweetwater for awhile. Probably a ton less eyes on it though from potential customers, compared to Reverb.

I gave up on the scam-fest that is eBay long ago.

If you have any other suggestion s for a vehicle to use to sell music gear let me know.

View attachment 1031854
Great question! I currently have a Rivera amp, several pedals and two speakers in the classifieds here, on Reverb and Craiglist, and I'm getting the proverbial crickets. If I had absurd prices, I'd understand. So I've been looking for other outlets to sell gear. I heard of Gbase the other day, but that looks like it is for retailers, not individuals.

Like you, I'm really not willing to sell them on eBay. I was a regular seller on eBay years ago, got tired of being burned, so now I *only* use it for purchasing.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I have actually never been scammed before by Reverb in nearly 100 sales, and over 50 purchases, and their support is super easy to work with if something does get damaged or someone tries to get an unnecessary refund. As someone who ships a ton of vintage amps, the insurance comes in handy often.

I've never used Gear Exchange, but if you look at Sweetwaters terms, they basically say that they are not liable if someone scams you. Basically, it's long distance Craigslist, but with credit cards and shipping. If you give them the money and they don't ship you the item, or if their card bounces and you've shipped the item out, you're screwed. They have "support," but it really can't do much to help you. I would steer clear of there.

You're only paying like 2-3% more for Reverb, and you have a much wider ranging audience and better support there.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
Great question! I currently have a Rivera amp, several pedals and two speakers in the classifieds here, on Reverb and Craiglist...

I never thought of posting on more than one site. How do you avoid the potential that both sell via 'Buy It Now' or whatver it is called per site, before you can cancel other postings? What is the outcome if that does happen?

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
Great question! I currently have a Rivera amp, several pedals and two speakers in the classifieds here, on Reverb and Craiglist, and I'm getting the proverbial crickets. If I had absurd prices, I'd understand.
Hmm, so I guess the Covid 'free money' being used for music gear is over, while also having more gear being sold by people who ended up not using it or that need money.

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
Hmm, so I guess the Covid 'free money' being used for music gear is over, while also having more gear being sold by people who ended up not using it or that need money.
Good point, but I could easily sell gear quickly here and on Craigslist for years prior to covid. When I say "years" I mean from around 2007 up until 2021. I had a major family crisis in May - July of 2020, and I had to sell almost everything. Everything went very quickly, guitars, amps, speakers, pedals and pickups. Even my much loved Volvo V90R. I suspect maybe it's the overall 'climate' we are currently living in. People are probably experiencing a certain degree of fear, doubt, uncertainty and who knows what else. Everything is priced to sell, but I suppose that's irrelevant for the time being.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I have spent the past couple of weeks clearing out my pedal collection and I started by listing a few of them on eBay, Sweetwater's Gear Exchange, and Reverb.

I even listed a few in the Classifieds here and on TGP, no nibbles so I removed them.

eBay's fees have gotten outrageous. I sold one pedal there and then deleted the other listings. I have been on eBay for 22 years and as it is now, I can't see myself selling anything there again until something changes.

Sweetwater's Gear Exchange, just took too long to sell anything. Maybe that is because it is still new? Their fee structure is similar to Reverb. I might try it again after it has had more time to get established. I sold one pedal there and removed the other listings.

Nothing beats the exposure of Reverb. If you want to get your music gear listings seen, Reverb is still the place to go. I have already sold over 20 pedals in the past week.

MervsMods

Tele-Meister
I've bought some stuff from Sweetwater's Gear exchange without any issues whatsoever. I even have all my Singular stuff listed on there. To be honest, I also have that stuff on Reverb and eBay. First come, first served, ya know?

Johnny Dubs

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
I never thought of posting on more than one site. How do you avoid the potential that both sell via 'Buy It Now' or whatver it is called per site, before you can cancel other postings? What is the outcome if that does happen?

Cage match.

fretknot

Tele-Meister
I cross-post on multiple sites regularly: eBay, Reverb, FB marketplace, and sometimes Craigslist. In the years I've been doing this, not once has something sold on more than one site before I was able to end the other listings. If it did happen, then I would honor the sale that came first and cancel the other sale with an explanation. This has never been necessary. I keep a close watch on my listings and end them once something sells. If you feel the need, it might be worth including a note in a listing that the item is cross-posted and the potential for a dual sale exists, and what your policy on dealing with that is. I don't do that, I just take my chances that it won't happen before I can end the other listings.

As an aside, of all the places I list, Reverb comes out ahead in sales, with eBay in 2nd place. Marketplace is an occasional hit, and CL is useless where I live.

andy__d

Tele-Meister
I’m intrigued by the idea that you can either get paid in money and Sweetwater take a cut of the deal (like reverb), or get paid in sweetwater vouchers and get more of the sale price. That totally gives me a valid justification for buying new guitars, rather than other stuff we need around the house with the proceeds of guitar sales. (“I’m sorry honey, but we would have been just throwing that money away if I hadn’t bought a new telecaster…”)