Anyone used Chestnut Spirit Stains?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by goodchicken, Jul 14, 2020.

1. goodchicken

goodchicken TDPRI Member

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/148/6338/chestnut-Spirit-Stain

It's alcohol based and contains 5% shellac to "bind color and seal wood".

So I wonder if the inclusion of shellac would make for a bit of a richer or more vibrant color? At least that seems like it'd be a selling point.

I'd assume that the 2k polyurethane I'll use will go on top with no problems...at least I've read several times that anything can be shot over shellac.

Thanks!

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

I made my own. went to the local art store and bought Jacquard acid dye

[​IMG] for about 6 bucks. I mixed it with alcohol and shellac & did a 3 different amp cabs.it was pain to get it to spray right but it looks great. I shot some automotive clear over the top of at least one... don't remember one or two. one left in shellac only. its been a few years & all still look good. shellac is maybe a bit delicate for an amp if it leaves the house though.

so yeah, I would bet you can mix that stuff

goodchicken likes this.
  3. goodchicken

goodchicken TDPRI Member

Cool, I like experimenting. Do you remember about the ratios of dye/alcohol (denatured, or?)/shellac?

I'll definitely do the poly over top. I tried a spray can shellac finish, it wasn't durable enough for me.

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

I really don't remember but the dye is VERY strong. it is soluble in water and alcohol but not in typical paint thinners. mixes easy with shellac. I made it stiff enough to brush and thin enough to spray. very forgiving on the mix. I have pix put they are on another computer that died, I'll have to dig but will see if I can find some. I was spraying with a top feed HPLV and one day when the dew point was close it made water droplets... condensed out of the air I guess. never seen anything quite like that, "blushing" on steroids

goodchicken likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.