1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone use YouTube Premium to escape YT's screaming ads? Or something similar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Dec 2, 2020.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hey, all. Hope this finds you well as the winter winds start to blow.

I've seriously thought about paying for YouTube Premium. My sons and I learn a lot of music from YT. Screaming ads interrupting that can drive us nuts.

So is anyone using YT Premium? If so, is it worth it? It's gotta be a 100% ad blocker to be worth it, as getting trained to expect no ads and then BOOM would be a kick in said region.

If some doohickey other than Premium does this at less cost/more effectiveness, what might that be?

We don't have satellite TV anymore and are pretty stuck in the house for The Duration, so keeping my sons happy at the piano and cello is worth it. (Though they are developing impressive cuss-blurt skills, especially when ad-howlings interrupt a really focused moment.)

Thanks!

2. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

Yes, I watch Youtube all the time and the modest cost of Premium is well worth it.

gitold likes this.
  3. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

I just broke down and got Premium the other day. Haven't seen any ads since. If you watch on computer there are some pretty effective ad blockers, I've heard. I'm in the process of cable cutting so felt it was worth it as I'm watching tons of YT now.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

What's it cost? I'm extremely cheap, but maybe I'd do 15 bucks month for no ads.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

On my PC's I use a hosts file that blocks ads, spyware, malware and other junk. This includes YouTube ads.

Unfortunately, tech oligarchs have made this quite difficult to do on mobile devices to protect their ad business.

lupowitz, El Marin and CCK1 like this.
  6. RoscoeElegante

Free 7-day trial and then $11.99 a month.

Which prompts me to ask, do they hike the prices on this? Or play games? I mean, I'll take the time-share spiel in Hawaii if they fly me there, but....

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i use adblocker and it works everywhere

even on guitar forums

Rocky058, lupowitz, Chikubi and 8 others like this.
  8. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Looks like there's actually a 3-month trial happening now-

"A Cyber Week special: Get 3 free months of ad-free videos and music. Offer ends Sunday, December 6."

https://www.youtube.com/premium

I might give it a try, thanks for the heads up.

9. RoscoeElegante

Just signed us up for this, and thanks for the heads-up and link.

With nearly 1,000 things to grade before the semester's end--some of them cruelly bad--I'll need my Yoko Does Pavarotti clips uninterrupted if I'm going to be able to concenwhatever.

Thanks, all!

BobbyZ and thesamhill like this.
  10. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Hey Roscoe - I have a lot of grading coming up too...misery loves company!

thesamhill likes this.
  11. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

+1

12. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

THIS

13. RoscoeElegante

What do you teach? (A question which probably just made this thread the least fave of the day!) I teach/have taught a lot of composition, American lit, short fiction, literary interpretation/analysis, technical writing, modern lit, film & lit, etc.

And aside from compulsively checking out TDPRI--an oasis of wit and wisdom, to me--how do you cope?! After 34 years at this, I'm as aggravated by the job as I am grateful for it. Beyond ever-slipping writing, reasoning, and even reading skills, English tends to be undermined from within. If it's not absurd dogmas and sophistical trends fevering our curricula, it's reflux from the '60s militating against standards of any sort. The classroom--or, these days, emails and Zooming--is an oasis from all that. A good half of the students at least want to learn. But as most of them become less able to concentrate, problem-solve, and fix bad habits--they've trained themselves to be phone-fixated reaction systems--I feel like Sisyphus on roller skates. My kids always know when I'm grading because of the cusses I attach to my go-to word these days: "Shocking!"

Wow--sour smoke from the Teachers' Lounge, that!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    ravindave_3600, BobbyZ and thesamhill like this.
  14. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

The ads are really annoying. I can't imagine that they actually work to get someone to buy their product. I may go in for the $11.99.

15. RoscoeElegante

It's been all of 32 minutes since I did so, and Lordy, what a difference! I've got Chopin's Nocturnes going, and now I can actually hear their conversation. Each is so much richer with the others still-resonant, uninterrupted by shrieking thumping. Shoulda done this years ago!

StevesBoogie, 61fury and BobbyZ like this.
  16. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's OK... we've all smelled that smoke before. It ain't the first time a semester's ended ;) and this is a rough one.

Students are reading way more variety than I did. Basically, books and magazines were all the text I had in my life. Students read books, internet articles, posts, product reviews, forums, websites, FAQs, text messages, advertisements, etc. They are also code-switching constantly in their writing and the difference between formal and informal when I was a kid was WAY smaller than the difference between formal and informal now.

From what I've seen, most can do what you ask but you need to orient them really well before you wind them up and turn them loose. My field is basically everything we're not allowed to talk about here (which is why I spend so much time here) so forgive lack of specifics but:

"I'm going to begin grading by reading just the first sentence of every paragraph by itself. The topic sentence must be first. I know that some paragraphs have the topic sentence elsewhere, but not in this class. That's not a choice I'm leaving to you. Do it my way."

"I want over 80% of the supporting sentences in your paper to have multiple citations. That way you cannot fall into the trap of focusing on one source you managed to locate in 10 minutes on ProQuest and instead must craft sentences that demonstrate some breadth of content knowledge. I will count them."

My papers are about 1/5th as long as other prof's papers. I have no idea why anyone assigns 10 page papers and then has to read 10 pages of [email protected] per student. The 200-level students have 12 weeks to write 2 pages. That's actually more space than I've had in grant proposals and journal submissions, so it's not like I'm out of alignment with the discipline.

The other thing I do is tell them that their opinion is really not something that's relevant to my class.

"It's like making buildings. You can have an opinion about whether a building is beautiful or ugly. You can also understand the physics of why buildings don't fall over. But you can't pass a class on the physics of buildings by talking about the beauty of buildings. Honestly, I have nothing to say about your opinion about anything. It's just not what we're doing here."

Once I get them oriented they do much better overall.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

adblocker is free

Rocky058, El Marin, Chikubi and 2 others like this.
  18. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Yep, AdBlock=free

Rocky058 likes this.
  19. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

I pay 60 bucks a month for YouTubeTV.
    You would think they would throw in the ad free you tube..

BobbyZ likes this.
  20. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

adblocker

Rocky058 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.