Anyone use this guys prewired switches?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gutterguy, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Gutterguy

Gutterguy TDPRI Member

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

3. gizzard

gizzard TDPRI Member

Got a couple of setups from these guys.http://www.guitar-mod.com. Really great work and loads of option s. worth the price in my eyes. wait time wasn't near what the estimate said. fast shipping great service .

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have never bought anything prewired... it is just not hard to do, really. It has zero value over the individual parts to me.
    Diagrams are all over for anything you want. Soldering is stupid easy, I have been soldering since I was a little kid.
    And you can't see any of it once you put the guitar together.

TeleTown likes this.
  5. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Mike, soldering might be easy for you, but I betcha anything I would most likely screw it up.

I took a tele to my buddy's house this past weekend to swap some pots out since he owns a very nice solder gun and has some experience soldering. I sent him the schematics before I showed up. Once I got there, we opened it up. He took one look at all of the wires and noped out of it very quickly.

While it may seem simple to the experienced, it can be quite daunting to the noob. Gutterguy, please keep us updated to your progress. I would be VERY interested to see which way you go and your experience.

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Kelling Sound has done me right. The tech I use here said it looked like custom shop work.

Kelling has a fleabay store. He's in Acworth, Georgia.

brucerbc and chauncy like this.
  7. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Solder guns can demagnetize your pickups.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Use a soldering iron not a soldering gun.
    Get some solder and a pile of old wire and a couple of old pots or switches with eyelets to solder to and practice, it is not hard. Let the iron get hot, heat the wire a little and apply solder, solder will flow towards the heat source. As soon as the solder flows remove the iron. Careful not to overheat or leave the iron too long.

Embrace learning how to do things. As my uncle used to say “can’t never could do anything”.

Nubs likes this.
  9. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Roger that. I bought a soldering gun and some wire. Think I need the solder and then I can start practicing.

10. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

You'll still need a soldering iron and solder...because you're going to need to ground the pickups to the pots and solder the pickup leads to the switch...but that's very easy.
    Here's how I do it. Take a small jewelers screwdriver and scratch the hell out of the bottom of the pot in a small area. Scratching the case of the potentiometer creates grooves for the solder to melt into giving it a better surface to adhere to. Wrap the the pickups ground wires together with the solder. Apply the scolding iron to the potentiometer just long enough to heat it up...it takes only a few seconds. Then hold the wires wrapped in solder down on the pot and hold the soldering iron as close to the wires as you can without touching them. The solder will melt quickly, back the iron away and hold the wires in place for a bit and that should do it.
    The switch wiring is easy. First timeout just wrap the lead into the eyehole of the switch, it will hold it in place. Then just put the tip of the solder on that location and get the soldering iron as close as need to melt the tip of the solder. It's really easy.

I think pre-wired harnesses are a good idea first time out, you'll still need to break out an iron...but it won't feel as daunting as doing everything the first time out.

After installing a premiere harness I think you'll see it's really not hard to do completely by yourself...but you'll probably burn up a part or two first time out. I did. Extra capacitors are a must, generally a good idea to have an extra potentiometer around as well, besides it's always a good idea to have a few laying around in case something fails later.

When I don't feel like doing it myself, I use these guys https://920dcustom.com/
    It you don't see what you're looking for in the wiring options they have listed, just tell them what you're looking for.

Edit...well actually it looks like from the link you posted you wouldn't have solder anything. I'm assuming the wires leading to the output jack just slip on and off.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Milspec likes this.
  11. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I always have soldered my guitars but make no mistake there is a learning curve and lots of mistakes that can happen.

You can easily overheat a pot and ruin it, Bournes pots are particularly delicate.

You can use too much solder on an Oaks Grigsby and cause a glob of solder to fall into the contacts which can cause intermittence and switch failure and is very difficult to remove completely.

You can cause shorts by not being neat with your routing, and the Gibson style 2 conductor cable with the unshielded ground is particularly susceptible to bumping up against something else and causing problems.

No shame in buying a pre-wired harness from somebody who can solder with artistry. Especially if you are doing something more complicated, like coil splitting, phase inverting, etc.

12. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

"These Solderless Prewired Kits are equipped with clamps, so soldering is no longer necessary. Instead a small screwdriver is sufficient."

These guys operate in Austria. If they say you can do it with a screwdriver, you can do it with a screwdriver. Otherwise they'd be out of business. False advertising isn't tolerated around here.

13. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Yeah...I clicked on the link after I posted. The pre-wired kits I've use still required the grounding and lead wires from the pups to be soldered. That's why I edited post after I clicked on link.

14. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

And what a price they're charging! PRS basic volume-tone 3 way for $109????

15. Matthew2

Matthew2 TDPRI Member

Trust me. I wired up everything in my Tele, it's not hard at all. Never soldered a thing in my life before that. Watch a few youtube videos and you'll be good. Pretinned cloth wire is nice.

16. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

The Kelling Sound eBay store looks interesting. Especially the terminal strips instead of soldering. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, trained to MIL-STD-2000 back in the day. I choose to buy the prewired harnesses and control plates because after you tally up the cost of every part, the cloth insulated pushback wire, etc. and in the case of a control plate, the plate itself, knobs, screws, jack, etc. you only save a very little by doing it yourself. I guess if you enjoy doing it yourself, that's fine, but at this point in my life, I've enjoyed soldering about as much as I care to. :)

17. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I used an Obsidian pre-wired harness on my Strat HSS: https://obsidianwire.com/custom-hss-wiring-for-strat/ Works great, really expensive though.

For my MIM Tele partscaster, I used a 4-way from Mojotone.

https://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Solderless-Pre#/ I like their stuff!

And then for my Esquire, I soldered up my own.

Of course, I spent less on the Esquire...but due to my misreading of the schematic, I had to strip it all down and do it again. The soldering was brainless ('cause I've been doing that since I was a kid) but it is a skill that takes learning and a little practice. Some aspects are not intuitive and not all equipment is equal.

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.