Anyone use the second input of your amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tap4154, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I jump the channels, on my Fenders. Doesn't work, on the WEM......:rolleyes:

2. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

When I first bought my old Twin, I'd use the second input as a way to tame the volume a bit. However, I've since discovered that I like using both jacks....One to the guitar, and the second to feed my Peterson StroboFlip tuner. One advantage is that if I flip the amp switch to standby, it mutes the amp output, but still feeds the tuner so I can tune without having to adjust the amp's controls.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  3. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I use the 2nd input almost exclusively. I always preferred that tone. Besides, Nigel Tufnel would say, "This one goes to 2!" :lol:

Mowgli likes this.
  4. Mowgli

Mowgli Tele-Meister

If I recall correctly...

In J1 alone, the two 68k Resistors are in parallel so their effective Resistance is 34k.

In J2 alone, one of the two 68k Resistors is tied to ground so the input signal is no longer in parallel (rather, it is in series with the one 68k Resistor) and the effective Resistance is 68k. Twice that of J1 alone.

Therefore, J1 alone is louder because there is less resistance, 34k ohms (34k is less than 68k), to the input signal in the parallel circuit feeding the V1 input grid.

The 1 Meg Resistor that is tied to ground is placed in the input circuit to help establish the high input impedance similar to other electrical devices like many of the Volt-Ohm meters where 10 Meg Resistors are placed at the positive terminal test jack input.

But when both J1 and J2 are plugged in at the same time, each has its own 68k Resistor in series (no longer in parallel). In essence, this makes them both the same level as J2, not J1, because each is offering 68k ohms of Resistance in each input.

In other words, if both J1 (Hi) and J2 (Lo) are used at the same time they are at the same J2 (Lo) level.

If my memory is incorrect or my explanation is incorrect please correct me with a detailed explanation.

T-Bone and sleeperNY like this.
  5. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Here's what Mesa has to say about input 2 on the Blue Angel: INPUT 2 may be used to obtain a "cleaner" sound as it has a sensitivity pad built into it. This pad also slightly alters the higher frequencies making them a bit breathier and hollow. I will need to give it another try!

6. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

On my old Roland JC, always. To my ears it sounds sweeter and it'll be loud enough, believe me.

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

On my tone master I use the first channel with single coils and humbuckers

Although it does add quite the ooommpphh! With The humbuckers

8. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

2nd/Low/standard = fender/Marshall/Vox is for the pedalboard to go into (for me at least). Especially OD and Dist. Using input one I would only ever use a boost or EQ…well maybe a fuzz. Talking gain stacking that is…mod/delay/reverb is a whole other story…

9. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I posted the schematic of my Super 210 jacks above, and I'll add it again to this post, but I just did an experiment. I turned the amp on with the guitar plugged into #2. I strummed it and let it ring as I plugged a cord into input #1, and the volume immediately increased. So in this amp if both inputs are being used, they appear both act like input #1.

20211125_095750.jpg

10. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

This is fascinating, because I've never even noticed input #2. Plugging into #2, you'd turn the volume on the amp up a little and get a little more preamp gain, and/or add gain to the inputted signal to equal the volume you'd get using input #1. But the power amp would see the same level of signal coming out of the preamp. So you conceivably get a little more preamp distortion but, at the same output volume, you would not get any more power amp distortion. Do I have this correctly?

11. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

With my new old Vibrolux Reverb, to get to volumes I can use on my Assisted Living gigs, I have to turn the amp down to a little less than two using the #1 input with my Sheraton. Using the #2 input, I can get about another notch on the volume knob, with a corresponding enlargement of sound- but no real increase in volume. I'll update after my gig this afternoon.

12. muscmp

muscmp Friend of Leo's

continually! why do you think they gave you two inputs?
    play music!

tap4154 likes this.
  13. kafka

kafka Friend of Leo's

On my Maz 38, yeah, all the time.

14. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What you said makes sense to me. In any case, it would vary from guitar to guitar and pickup to pickup. Just try both inputs and see what sounds best to you.

15. Mowgli

Mowgli Tele-Meister

Another way to look at it is to view the two 68k Resistors as part of a voltage divider with the grid input placed between these two equal value resistors. They are often referred to as "Grid Leak" resistors.

Regardless, when both J1 & J2 are plugged in together, each jack tip will see that 68k Resistor, not the 34k Resistance that was created when the 68k Resistors were in parallel. Just Saying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.