Anyone use the second input of your amp?

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The one that cuts 6 DB?

I never did, except a few times, and it always sounded weak. Because I was working on my Pro Junior I pulled out my Super 210 to play for a while. I was playing my Jimmy Vaughn Strat last night, which has fairly powerful pickups, and suddenly decided to plug it into the second input, and what a world of difference!

Much more articulate, both clean and with overdrive, and as I turn it up it seems to get a much thicker sound as well, without getting muddy like it was before, especially on the bass strings. I guess that output is actually kind of designed for humbuckers? In any case, after decades of owning this amp, I'm still learning things. Maybe next I'll even try out the effects loop...

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Sometimes, but not frequently. With some of my pickups, on some of my amps, it helps to use the second input jack instead of the first, if I want to stay clean at a higher volume.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I use the second inputs exclusively with my Fender amps and occasionally in my Marshall’s.

531FD7FE-FEF6-4B08-B323-EC1C85CEAD74.jpeg

C5EC4D4C-2A7D-4599-9E51-AAB57F4A9DFC.jpeg

Last edited:

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yeah, I always have two guitars/cables plugged in to my 210....

that 6Db cut is hardly noticeable when you turn the volume/drive up...:twisted::D

View attachment 922915

The second input only cuts 6 db if you have nothing plugged into the first one. If they're both being used they're both equal, according to the owner's manual.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was using input 1 with my tele, then I made a 2xp90 tele and it sounded better through input 2 alone...

then I got used to having 2 leads plugged in all the time at home... working on guitars it was always handy to have two leads on neutrik switching plugs floating around...:)

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I was using input 1 with my tele, then I made a 2xp90 tele and it sounded better through input 2 alone...

then I got used to having 2 leads plugged in all the time at home... working on guitars it was always handy to have two leads on neutrik switching plugs floating around...:)

Just keep in mind that even if you aren't using the cable plugged in to input 1, just the fact that it's plugged in makes input 2 full power.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
yeah, I get that....

I think of #2 as more of an input cut.. than a Db cut.....

I don't have a volume problem here, so even if it says a 6 Db cut.. it doesn't matter if you turn the volume back up to your regular house volume.... there is no Db cut in that instance..;)

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Yes:

With an A/B box I would create a dirt channel into input2.

With my Frenzel, the 2 holes are different channels, so there's that.

I have my son plug in input 2 for "2 player mode".

I use the 4 holes on the 5e5. I was going to try jumpering the channels with a delay pedal between 2 patch cables, but the pedal was missing the battery so didn't work. I still wonder how that'd sound.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Or you could bleed 6 DBs to ground at your guitar’s volume pot rather than the amp’s input jack??

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Or you could bleed 6 DBs to ground at your guitar’s volume pot rather than the amp’s input jack??

I'm not sure exactly how this works... I've noticed that if I plug into input 2 with the JV with Tex-Mex pickups, I can turn the amp volume up and get a much more articulate sound at the same overall volume I get at on input 1, with the amp volume turned down, but then it's muddier. So I don't think it's exactly the same as just turning down the guitar volume pot while plugged into input one. Especially with several pedals in front of the amp.