Anyone Use Flip Top Tool Stands?

Teladjacent

TDPRI Member
I'm working out of the front corner of a 2 car garage housing 2 cars. I'm kicking around the idea of building one of these for my planer and drill press. Anyone had experience with them? The plywood/pocket screw version seems flimsy. Wondering what you all think and have used.

335554-438x.jpg

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I'd never use just plywood and pocket screws where there is weight bearing and movement, but the same design glued up might support an engine block.

I started in a 1-car garage (housing a car) with a bench sander, drill press, bandsaw, and vise on each side of a three foot square 2x4 and plywood table that looks remarkably like your picture (a 16 gallon shop vac lived under the table and provided dust control). I now have a detached 3-car garage that does not house any vehicles . . . . . and I still have my bench tools on that 3-foot square table.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Seems like a good enough idea but my drill press bench top is eight feet long and covered with iron and steel gadgets.
Seeing shops with clear surfaces and pegboard covered with graduated sizes of matching tools is like trying to read Sanskrit.
And I've learned some Sanskrit too!
One of my good size work benches is on wheels and has a big bottom shelf.
I could put a planer, spindle sander, several routers, and a bunch of other tools on the bottom shelf, then put them up to for use.

Tom_

TDPRI Member
I've built one for my spindle sander and belt sander, and it's more that solid enough for them. Any movement comes from the castors, but the frame and deck are solid.
The frame is made of 1.5" x 2.5x softwood, glued and dowelled together. The top deck is a sandwich of three levels of 18mm plywood, screwed together in a lot of places (so I can remove the deck if I need to - there's no way the tube about which it rotates is sliding out, it's clamped in so tightly)
IMG_3209.jpeg

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I've been cosidering two: one for the spindle/planer combo and one for the scroll saw/belt sander combo.

The reality is that I have room for individual stations...but none of them are used a lot except for the surface planer (which has a dedicated stand).