Anyone use false nails , or have a better solution ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat357, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Thanks Ethical for taking the time to help me with your first post , and let me also take this opportunity of welcoming you to the TDPRI .

Hope you enjoy it here and make lots of friends .

When you say it drops sharply , is it cut at the drop , or just the end of the nail ?
    Like an upside down tick ? ( I think I get the picture ) .

By these questions , anyone would think I had just started playing lol :oops: :lol:

2. Ethical

Ethical Tele-Holic

That's right! I couldn't think of a way of describing the shape at the time I posted :~)

I learnt to cut my nails this way many years ago when I first learnt to play classical guitar and it still works for me today on all styles of playing.

Ted

3. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Found a local beauty salon who have some experience with guitarists nails , though i'm worried that it might be related to classical guitarists .

I would dearly like someone to post a pic of their false nails , so that I can take it with me and let them see what I need .

Also :

Do you keep the false nails at the same length as the originals , or do they overhang ?

Nails have a semi circled shape if you look at them head on .
    Do we keep that shape , or get rid of the sides so it is almost flat ?

Would like to get them done this week ;)

These are Johnnys , but they seem to be rounded off and very long .
    Do these look about right , or are they particularly long ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. shoebox22

shoebox22 Tele-Meister

When you said Johnnys, did you mean Johnny Hiland? Cuz it looks like it.

We talked with him when he was here for his PRS seminar and he gets his replaced about once a month. He swears by them.

For nail care, BTW, keep your cuticles lubricated, ie, use lotion daily.

Yes, they overhang some. Let the manicurist do it as you need a foundation for the false nail.

Otherwise its no big deal to take care of.

5. blue water girl

blue water girl Tele-Afflicted

HOLY SMOKE!!

Those are EXTREMELY LONG!!! Brent's barely and I mean barely come over the tips of his fingers. A very minute bit of nail in the middle that he files to a point comes out slightly over the flesh of the finger. Those nails are as long as mine! They are also much thinner than the fake nails Brent uses. You can see through those Johnny is wearing in that picture - Brent's are at least twice as thick as those.

I have never noticed that Johnnys nails are that long and I have been around him alot and had dinner with him on several occasions - wow. The boy can sure play so they work for him obviously and that is the main thing - whatever works for you.

6. Filthy McNasty

Filthy McNasty Tele-Holic

I use my finger tips because I got tired of my nails breaking. I just sucked it up for a week and a half and built up calloses and I no longer have nail or fingerpick issues. I heard that this is what Richard Thompson does so I just went with it.

7. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Great news .

I got my nails done today :D

At first , they felt strange , but I have to say , after a few hours , I would not even notice they are there .
    The manacurist did a proper job and they look fantastic .

Just to give you a rough idea of the process :

She buffed my nail faces to allow the glue to stick better .
    Then she took a false nail , and measured it against mine before filing it slightly to fit .
    She then placed glue on it and positioned it about half way down my nail , before removing the length with what looked like a mini guillotine .

Then she filed the bass of the new nail flat against mine .
    After roughly shaping the nail at the front , she then added some pink acryllic from side to side in 3 steps towards my cuticle .

After drying , she sanded it down and buffed it .

You can't tell I have them on.... really ... you can't :eek:
    They look perfectly normal , with the exception that they are slightly longer .

The process took about 15 minutes per nail , but I guess that was because we were chatting about how we needed them .
    They cost me £3 each .

OK ... The important bit .

At first , they felt a little catchy on the strings , so I took a manicure file that she let me keep , and spent time making sure the sides were perfectly smooth . I have kept them reasonably round , with a very slight point , kind of like a church window .

Now , they are playing very well , and to be honest , i'm so pleased that i'm going to get my first finger done as well , as I play with my fingers as well as hybrid pick , and it simply doesn't feel as good as the new nails .

I'm also starting to think I was possibly picking too heavy before , and now i'm going to try and lighten up a little and see if it gets better .

I'm no country player , but I certainly feel much more comfortable now .

I might have to go and get the pink acryllic filled as my nails grow , but for £6 or £3 per nail , it is the best thing i've done for ages with the guitar :cool:

8. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

...well...

...I've been using the acrylics for over 11 years now...I go to the manucurists,like the previous poster,and have them put on...depending on the finger,they are of varying lengths...if thumb is #1(which I like long),I like to have the index(#2) a bit longer than the love finger (#3),and #4 finger similar in length to #2...sometimes they all get a bit long,as I get lazy and just let 'em wear down...a nice finishing touch related to me several years ago:get some "ultra fine" 3M 600 grit "Wet-or-dry" sandpaper,and after getting the nails on,finish off by using this sandpaper on the tips,and it REALLY creates a nice smoooooooth edge...try it,it works!!!...

9. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah. I studied classical guitar in the early 80s. Broke a nail, headed on down to the cosmetics department at some chain store, got me some fake nails. Apparently, I was observed doing this by a good friend of my brother's wife. (He's my identical twin.) So this lady calls my sister-in-law and says "Does your husband ever borrow your clothes? Kee rist.

They didn't even work too well.

10. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

For those of you using stick-on nails, two questions: Do you rough up the fingernail before putting it on, and do you put superglue on the entire fingernail? The lady at the beauty store told me to not put glue on the little half-moon at the back end of the nail.

11. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

The finger nail is sanded before application .
    The new nail starts from about the middle of your own nail , and the glue is applied to the edge of the new nail which when pressed together , extends towards your tip . After sanding flat , the only thing which goes near the half moon is the acrylic which is applied to the total surface . Looks like a pink gell .

12. Allamu

Allamu NEW MEMBER!

I've been doing this to the nails of my right hand now for 5 years - every two weeks (excluding pinkie) and have discovered the following:

I first started with tips - they look the worst (very easy to see they're fake), they are bad for the nail base when replacement time comes around, and worst, if they break due to rough contact with an object (usually cardoor handle or some other unexpected knock) they break catastrophically, and sometimes rip the nail with it, since there is very little flexibility. Horrible.

I then moved to Acrylics, and although it looks a bit better if you find a nail technician that can finish them off matt, same goes for the tip as far as bad for the nail bed is concerned, as well as the catastrophic break - they can do even more damage to the nail.

Then I moved to gel, which is more flexible and therefore doesn't lift as easily from the nail bed with rough handling, and also, since it's more flexible, can take harder knocks without tearing or ripping off. THe only problem with pure gel, is that it is a bit soft, and therefore prone to indentations and eventually tearing on the thinner steel strings (I play steel acoustic 11 or 12 Gauge).

The final solution therefore was to use about 3 or 4 layers of gel as a base, and then coat that with a sculpting gel or S-gel as they're known (1 or 2 layers), which is a much harder gel, and won't rip against the guitar string. The only challenge then is to find a really good quality gel for the base so that no lifting occurs at the back of the nail with hard strumming (due to the reduced flexibility as a result of the S-gel) - nothing worse than being at a gig, and strumming with an index finger which then hooks the string from the back of the coat and threatens to peel it right off!

So the solution I've found for myself, which really works, and only gives trouble if I experiment with other products is: Calbrooks Cal-gel for the base - 3 - 4 layers (I get it in Johannesburg South Africa, but it may be an international product) and then Planet Nails S-gel for the upper layer (1-2 layers). One fortnight I do a full replacement, the next I just do a fill. The only problem with this is it starts looking a little yellow in the second fortnight, but otherwise it is magic, and the nailbed stays healthy. If you can't find these products you'll have to experiment with local products till you find one that works.

But all I can say is, unless you're picking gentle lullabies in the mornings and then spending the rest of the day in bed, stay away from tips (false nails) or acrylics. A good quality gel and scultping gel is the way to go!

Good luck.

13. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Check out James Taylor's guitar lessons (yes, the same JT) - there's a couple threads about it on here, including one started by moi. Don't know if it will add anything new though.

Here's a link: http://www.jamestaylor.com/guitarlessons/

Cheers,
    Geoff

14. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Nancy Wilson of Heart told me she got her nails done before every tour and she showed them to me, even let me feel them! Settle down boys... anyway, they were very hard...

the NAILS. Not me.

that girl plays very aggressively every night on tour, I imagine those fingernails take quite a beating.

Another person recommended Horse Hoof Toughener, which can be found at tach and equine shops, but I never tried it. Might be worth a shot.

15. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Albert Collins had the most massive nails I ever saw. Not long mind You - just massive.
    I shoulda asked him "his trick" if they were false nails or if he was on protein gel capsules.
    Maybe someone that knows Gwen Collins can tell Gwen about the thread.
    I'll make a coupla calls around and see if anyone I know who knew Albert knows something...
    Wilko Johnson's nails look to be totally natural with no length.
    Snooks Eaglin's right hand moved so fast that I had no way of telling.
    But like I said earlier Albert Collins' nails were like "Jersey Barriers."

16. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

False nail? yeah sure.
    when I was a kid I shocked my mum with one these plastic nails.

[​IMG]

it was funny then - but now I think it's a darn mean trick.

17. Joe L.

Joe L. TDPRI Member

Ani Difranco uses long fake nails on all five fingers with a layer of electrical tape around her first knuckle to keep the strings from tearing her fingers up. There's a scene in Render where she describes her extra long nail as "action length". A friend of my is a big Ani Difranco fan and decided to try this out, but somehow missed the fake nail part and tried taping regular picks to his fingers! I not sure if he ever figured out how she did it!

18. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I have acrylics on my right hand only. My old nail shop girl yelled out, "one hand stupid!!" every single time I walked in the door. I was so happy the first time I had my nails done here in Austin - when I said I only wanted my right hand done the lady said, "guitar player?" ...I said yepp and it was done. No more "One Hand Stupid!" :)

19. gtrjones

gtrjones Tele-Holic

You left one at the house before we had our little jam, and Victoria didn't find it for a day or two, and then said "WHO's nail is THIS?"

so thanks for that...

:D

20. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, that's Austin for ya... :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.