1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone use Dimarzio Air Classics or 36th PAFs?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fakeplastic, Jan 15, 2021.

1. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

Wanting to hear any opinions on either of these pickups. I'm thinking Air Classic for the neck, and a 36th neck model in the bridge. The reason for that being I hear the 36th bridge model has a lot of midrange and is a little hot, so I'm hoping the neck model is a bit more balanced.

Wanting balance yet lively high-end from these, will these do the job? The Air Classic seems to have a lot of fans, but I'm wondering if it's too tame and polite?

Anyhow, let me know if you have thoughts.

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Balance is key. I have EJ customs. The neck is killer but the bridge is weak and anemic. I considered trying to pair it with a 36th Anniv or Air Classic Bridge. The Fortitude also looks interesting.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yep. Like the paf anniv. Got cream and black no cover. Have in lp Standard. Nice traditional voice.

4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had the anniversaries. Good pickup, much better without a cover on it. Had a lot more bite and liveliness without it, the midrange is exaggerated a bit more with a cover and it loses the liveliness. Still a good amount of midrange, but not honky.

A good pickup, not my fave, but a good pickup.

5. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Not so familiar with the Air Classics, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

I tried a 36th Anniversary Bridge a couple of years ago and thought it was “fine.” Not much character but it worked okay. Eventually swapped another pickup in there.

FYI, I play mostly clean blues and rock, and if I need a new pickup, I’ll generally start by looking at Duncan. If I can’t find something there I’ll go to one of the other winders.

good luck!

Golem likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have used both. You’re correct. The Annis have a little more oomph and midrange presence. I have no issue with a Classics. I’ve used them in the bridge of Les Pauls. I had a pair in a Flying V.

Short story- it depends on the guitar.

I bought a Les Paul. It had the ‘57 Classic Neck, ‘57 Classic Plus pickup set. I loved the neck, hated the bridge. It was awful. I had. A Duncan JB in my parts drawer so I tried it. It was way too hot and honky for me. Just not useable for what I do.

I also had a Flying V, which had the classics in it. In that guitar, I loved the classic in the neck, the bridge didn’t sound good. It was kind harsh and thin. Knowing that pickups can sound quite different depending on the guitar, I swapped them.

As it turns out, that Air Classic bridge sounded killer in the Les Paul. Loads of clarity, but not too thin. Turned it into a great sounding Paul. It’s now one of my automatic go-to pickups for a Paul.

I love the Annis as well. They are a little more in your face. Which... shouldn’t put you off them. They’re still low output and vintage voiced. It’s not like they’re Super Distortions or something. They’re just a little more kickin’ than the classics.

7. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

I tried the 36th Ann (as well as the stock ones and 57 Classics) in my Sheraton. I settled on Toneriders Alnico IIs. Never tried the Air Classic.

8. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I had an Air Classic in an HH strat and didn't like it at all. The Air design is meant to reduce attack and such to mimic an aged pickup but to meet went to far and it felt like I had to play unnaturally hard to get the tone I expected.

9. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a 36th Anniversary neck in the bridge position of my strat. I like it, but not enough that I'd buy another.

10. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

What do you have in the neck position?

11. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Neck and middle are Bootstrap '54 Vintage Pros. They sound great, but lately I'm thinking of swapping them with '54 Vintage Sparkles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.