Anyone Use a Weber Rather Than a Distortion Pedal?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by zimbo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

For playing through a DRRI at home I'm wondering if I could use a Weber to get breakup at lower volume rather than using my Fulltone pedal? Or do you need both together?

2. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

Do you mean weber attenuator (mass or minimass?) Yes--you can get breakup with the weber alone. You may or may not be happy with the attenuated tone. The more you attenuate the worse the tone--works best if you need to quiet the amp down a little at a gig, rather than for using a club amp for home. More wear on the tubes than using the pedal.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Weber ? Weber what ?

4. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Weber will get it smokin':
    [​IMG]

5. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

I use one of those as my slide at bbqs. A beer bottle is too unwieldy

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've clamped my DRRI down with a Hot Plate, but at lower volume levels the are certain things missing that make it easier to just throw an overdrive in front of the amp.

The speaker isn't working hard, and the Fletcher-Munsen effect also comes into play.

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I don't use one with my Quinn Dumble-type amps, but will with my Ceriatone Trainwreck clone. It's 50w and has no master vol. The breakup occurs around 6 on the volume, which is really loud. I will either use a Zendrive (or maybe a Fuchs Valvejob) or a Weber mass. It is somewhat pleasing, but, for the reasons mentioned above, is missing something. However, I recently bought a Bad Cat Leash (or Unleash?) which is fantastic. It uses a different design. It can be used to attenuate, or boost by up to 100w. Expensive, though, maybe $300-350.

Knowing what I do now, I would recommend that the OP use a Zendrive type of pedal. There are a lot of things you can do with it that don't necessarily include OD, per se. Maybe OD-ish.

(Help. I am on a roll using the phrase "per se" and attaching "ish" to words. Can't stop, per se.)

8. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

I don't use either, gots me a two channel amp, it's revolutionary.. has a clean channel and a overdrive/distortion channel. Modern technology. Who'da thunk.

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Bwah!

Oh Zimbo, this thread is all kinds of funny.

10. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Since attenuators only knock the volume down a little (before noticeable tone loss) I wonder if combining an attenuator with an Eminence Reignmaker would work?

11. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

I use my Mini Mass in conjunction with my boosts. That way I can hit mega-saturation levels without putting out too much volume and still preserve high-end.

12. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the tips. It looks like I could get a Weber Mini Mass fairly cheap but I kind of like the stuff coming from the Zendrive pedal that Larry mentioned. Looks like they have a leg up on Fulltone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.