1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone use a Reverb pedal when they have spring reverb on their amp?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by OzShadow, Apr 30, 2020.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I pair up a DRRI with a Vox AC10, and I don't use either baked-in reverb. You should see all the lengths I go just get a reverb to both be a complete three dimensional wash out and a part of the drive/OD interaction...not to mention the percussive drip effect. lol

2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I keep a HOF on my board. On my DRRI, I use the left hand channel for some guitars so I need to have outboard reverb. I actually prefer the HOF to the onboard spring, which I find hard to control. The HOF is very clean with lots of control over different parameters. I usually use just a light amount of "hall" reverb unless I'm going for a big wash. The only time I turn it off is when we play in the big sanctuary at church which is a monster of a cave. Oh yes, and the "plate" setting has a nice slap back envelope which pairs nicely with overdrive.

3. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

DSL20 is current amp. Has digital reverb in it which isn’t terrible, but I also have a Topanga for spring. I have a Fender Marine Layer pedal for hall and room. And I have a Boss Tera Echo and Carbon Copy mini cause why not.

jh

4. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, mostly for a boring, practical reason - no spring splash or crash if the amp gets jostled around due to me/others jumping around near it.

czech-one-2, gimmeatele and mfguitar like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yes..

6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Nope ... the spring reverb of the Vibroluxes, as well as the tube reverb of the PR and even the digital verb of the AC10, are all a-ok by me for gigs and jams, and one less pedal. For recording however I've used Holy Grails for some variety, including the whacky "flerb" setting for the considerably more spacey effect.

7. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Lots of folks use the amp reverb as part of their base tone, then add big reverbs over the top with a pedal when they want a more ambient tone.

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer Plate reverb so that's why a pedal is a necessity. I love the sound of amp spring reverb when other people do it though it doesn't seem to work for me.

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

it depends on how nice the on-amp reverb is. and how important reverb is to the music i'm playing. if i'm playing surf, yeah, i'll take better pedal reverb over so so on amp reverb. right now my main musical outlet is my death rock band, and the musicman i'm playing in that band has so-so reverb. my guitar playing in that band is heavily effects driven, and i've already got a lot of competition for pedalboard space. so i'm not using a reverb pedal right now, and i'm trying to keep my reverb in check in that band because it leaves more space for other effects before my signal just turns to mud.

if i was using that amp in a surf band, i'd probably use a pedal or my outboard reverb unit instead of the on-amp reverb.

10. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

There's more than one kind of reverb. In a pinch, the amp reverb is just fine. Amps also have gain and distortion, so why do you have a boost and distortion pedals?
    Why do you have an amp at all? An acoustic guitar has a built in amp. You guys and your questions.

11. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I use a Catalinbread Topanga on a combo amp with real spring reverb. I simply do not hear the difference and the Topanga gets more drippy than the real thing.

12. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I'm using a Digitech Polara. I prefer it over the spring reverb in the Princeton. There's a lot more adjustment capability. I usually like something subtle and fairly short.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I prefer the spring reverb in my Eventide pedals to the actual spring reverbs in most of my amps. It lets me dial in exactly how much dwell and "drip" I want as well as how bright or dark it is, and with an expression pedal I can go from a slight touch of 'verb to full-blown sproingy surf.

14. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My combo has a nice reverb unit that I never use. The reverb on my board fits me better with none of the spring issues.

15. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I prefer the spring reverb setting on my Boss RV-6 to the reverb on my AC15C1. I also enjoy using the different options depending on my mood that day.

Switchy likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer a pedal to spring reverb, which sounds fake and dated to me. Digital reverb like that in pedals or in amps like the AC10C1 sound more natural to my ears. The exception is the spring reverb in my old Mesa Boogie Studio 22 which was so smooth you couldn't even tell it was a spring.

17. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Yes, I use this one.

upload_2020-4-30_17-21-23.jpeg

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  18. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

I use both an RV-6 and the built-in reverb on my PR and DR. It allows me to set one as baseline and the other as an additional “more”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

With my AC15c1, I use both my Topanga and the onboard reverb tank. One or the other or both. Three levels of reverb at my feet. Add delay on top and a volume pedal, and it's a swell time (see what I did there? #dadjoke)

20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The reverb on My Superchamp is a great short string reverb but occasionally I like a really liquid swimming verb - I use the 63 Spring Reverb model on my Line6 M13 to augment it.

Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.