1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Use A G&H Right Angle Plug In A Standard Tele Input Jack

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Lef T, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I've got a 2016 American Standard Tele.
    I need a few cables and was thinking of having Stompin Ground make up a couple for me.
    I like the looks of the G&H right angle plug and G&H stubby straight plug.
    Also not sure which cable to choose...Mogami or Canare ?
    I've done a search and it looks like the Neutrik silent plug works,but I like the looks
    of the G&H.
    I'd like to keep the original input jack that's on the guitar,so am not interested in an Electrosocket at the moment.

2. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Never tried it, so I can't say for sure....BUT there is a chance that the right angle plug may not work depending on how deep the "cup" goes. Depth can vary on different Teles, well not the cup depth...but how deep the jack is screwed in if that makes sense. Good luck.

Lef T likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Get a long-bushing jack. Switcraft L11 or something along those lines. Works with most but not all right angle plugs.

ebb soul and SPUDCASTER like this.
  4. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have two or three cables with the G & H right angled plug and they work just fine, even on a CS Nocaster that some store bought cables wouldn't work with.

5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The Amphenol right angle plug also gives you a good bit of depth for a recessed jack. I don't have this problem because my jackplate is a football, but all my cords have Switchcraft right angle plugs.

6. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

I make my cables out of Canare GS6 with Neutrik Silent plugs. Works great for me, low noise, low capacitance. I get my cable and plugs from http://www.redco.com/

7. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I'm going to try and find a G&H right angle plug here in Canada and see if it will work,
    before I start having some cables made for me.

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Both Planet Waves and the Switchcraft(not the pancake, obviously) right angle plugs work just fine with any Tele I own. So far.

9. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I had discounted using the Switchraft jack,as I had read that they won't seat fully.
    I need to find a couple of jacks to test.
    I'll look for a Switchcraft and try it.

10. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I know its already been mentioned, but the G&H is at best a 50/50 with a stock Tele jack, and can even be hit or miss with an Electrosocket depending on how many threads extend beyond the surface of the jack cups. A G&H that has a shrink wrap over the barrel will definitely not engage fully.

I have never had an issue with my stock Tele jack cups coming out so I don't change them to an Electrosocket automatically. If I want to use G&H plugs I just change the jack to the 11L to get enough room to guarantee the fit.

11. SPUDCASTER

12. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Right angle Neutrik plugs on my self-made mogami cables were not reliably "reaching/catching" so I replaced the recessed socket w/ oval surface-mount kind.
    Some folks call 'em "football" plates?
    Zero problems, regardless of the plug - and anybody's RA plug works.
    Peace - Deeve

no morons here - just folks w/ different kinds of experience - remember, there's somebody who thinks you're a WIZARD because you can play a full F chord.
    If you have Never soldered, this (replace out jack) isn't a "first project". Maybe a second or third?
    Hint: take a phone pic of the thing you're dismantling to make the same connections. . .

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Lef T likes this.
  14. SPUDCASTER

The G&H might be made by Switchcraft as they look almost identical from what I see.

They should fit if you change the output jack to the long thread.

I have a long thread on an electrosocket too and it comes out almost even with the outer edge.

Changing the jack is pretty simple. Just make sure to keep the hot on the tip and the ground on the sleeve.

Good place to learn some guitar repair/modification.

Just dive in and have fun.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.