1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone use a CB radio?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by pepeunidos, Nov 19, 2008.

1. pepeunidos

pepeunidos TDPRI Member

Howdy y'all -

Just wanted to drop a line - I was wondering if any of the TDPRI members use a CB radio regularly? I've been thinking about getting a set, as I travel long distances by myself a few times a year. Just want it to monitor and maybe get some road conditions or weather, and for entertainment after I can't listen to any more talk shows or my iPod.

Any thoughts? Looking for some good recommendations on a good entry level transceiver and antenna, plus the lowdown on what the CB environment is like.

Thanks!

2. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

My dad always used to have them instaled in his cars so he could listen to the truckers band. Great way to find out where the cops are on the highways.

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Just got rid of mine. I loved it, but there was this local who had a base that would harrass truckers literally all day long. He then would insult blacks and whomever else he decided unfit.
    It was a great unit for the road- I had a Uniden pc78 elite.
    If you are interested, I have a magnetic mount Wilson 1000 whip I'll be selling soon. They are the best antenna for mobile use.

4. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

I threw mine out the window in '91 & never looked back. I am a former trucker and living up in norfolk there was just wayyyy too much trash & filth on it. Couldn't use it for directions or help or g.p. cuz of it. I would like to have one for traveling though.

5. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

That's funny you should mention it. I was way into CB culture when I was a kiddie back in OKC and have been thinking about getting one again. I haven't been on the air in years and had no idea what the CB airwaves are like nowadays. I see you can pick up an old base unit for cheap on thee eBay.

6. Cassidy

Cassidy Tele-Holic

It's changed a lot since the good old days. When I finally took my last CB out of my pickup about four years ago I hadn't heard a legitimate highway call on the CB for several months on channel 19. I'd traveled a few times that year and asked for a break on 1-9 and never got an answer even though several big rigs were going by me the other way. I finally gave up. Very sad because there was a time when it was an amazing and effective tool for the road.
    Back in '75-'77 I drove 150 miles round-trip to work and drove a Volkswagen... CB handle was Mighty Mouse. I knew a lot of truckers very well from taking that drive every day. And yes, we knew where every "Bear" and "County Mounty" were as soon as they pulled on the interstate. But the cb wasn't just to assist your speeding, once I saw/heard an accident with three critically injured people get an ambulance to the scene in five minutes with the call for help passed down the line by CB operators... stuff like that was pretty common.

Cassidy :cool:

7. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Still got mine, but haven't hooked it up in 20+ years. It's an under-dash 40 channel Sharp brand...with a trunk mount magnetic antenna. I keep it on my "memorabilia shelf" in the living room, along with the 8-track player, manual typewriter, and zero SPF suntan lotion.

The kids now-a-days look at it, ask what it is, then get a puzzled look on their face.

8. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

I loved CB back in the '70's, though I haven't had one hooked up for 20+ years. When I was in the Air Force in Texas, I had a base station as well as a mobile unit. The sunspot cycle must have been just right then, we could "shoot skip" all over the country as well as occasionally reach someone overseas. It was great fun seeing how many different states we could contact and exchange QSL cards with them. Sideband was the way to go, I frequently talked to friends in Massachusetts and other northeastern states with no interference at all, almost as clear as a phone call.
    The last time I tried to use a CB radio, a couple years ago, I heard pretty much nothing but garbage, so my units are still in the closet.

9. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Jorge,

Take a look at obtaining your Technician Amateur Radio License.

A 2 meter FM transceiver will allow you to pass the time traveling in conversation with other HAM operators.

You'll find HAMs ready to assist with travel, and health & welfare issues.

See the ARRL.Org for more info.

The website has links to local clubs that will assist with license study for the test.

Jamie

10. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

No, but I know Ernest Borgnine IS Dirty Lyle.

Anyone remember seeing CW McCall on American Bandstand? He stood with one foot up on the side rail of a bright red Jeep Wrangler and sang Convoy into the C.B. mike.

11. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

I've had CB's in my work trucks since the 70's. The only time that mine gets used anymore is when I'm working in the coal mines to talk with the loaders and coal buckets so we all know where everyone is.

:cool:

12. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

I've thought about getting one for my truck, but I don't know if I want to put up with all the chatter about nothing. If I was going back over the road I would probably get one. A lot of warehouses and freezers use 'em to communicate with the truckers loading and unloading.

13. pepeunidos

pepeunidos TDPRI Member

Hi Jamie -

I've been doing a lot of research on this (on CB) and did look briefly into HAM radio as an alternative. The only thing is that it seems like the equipment is costly - is it as mobile as CB? Seems like I've only found base stations. Taking the test is no problem.

I guess the reason why I'm asking, is that I've always been fascinated by radio, ever since being a little boy in Mexico. I used to sit at night in my room with the only light being my desk lamp, some comic books, and would wear an earphone and tune in my dad's portable AM/FM/SW1/SW2 GRUNDIG radio all night long and just listen to strange, far-away voices. I was in the military for a few years as well and really enjoyed talking on the AN-VRC53/PRC77 from time to time.

There's something magical about equipment that makes sound come out of a speaker seemingly from out of thin air (hmm... I'm detecting a pattern here...)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  14. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

Ham Radio Technician License

The technician test is easy, as for equipment being expensive, you can get a 2 meter FM mobile radio for $125.

Come join us!

KC2DGC

15. hondo76

hondo76 Tele-Holic

i do i have lots of radios and base units to talk with my buddys when thay dont answer the phone or when we are hunting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.